• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

This will only hurt for a second...

dpuerto: This thread aint just about chores, but also about having a little self awareness so you know how you react to certain triggers, and how you can alter those reactions or just break them down.

Last edited:
fizzygirl: Do you only wash your dishes once a week??

(not that I'd judge you for that, as i've lived in share houses where we've gone entire lease-terms without washing the dishes.)

Also, its funny that you mention house-keping as beign a reflection of a females worth. Cause my girl doesn't do any LoL But i LoVE her !!!!

Its funny, my girlfriend was brought up with a real house-wife mother who did absolutely everything for her. When she first moved out with me when she was 16 she had never washed a dish, made her bed, cleaned up after herself in her life. And i think some people have the idea the a girl brought up with a house-wife mother might make them a good house-cleaner, which might hold true for some, but i think my girlfriend really resented the fact that her father got away with doing nothing and ended becoming many of the things she hated about him in that respect. I think if the house-wife mother instead taught her daughters to do chores with her from an early age it would have quite a different effect.

At any rate, i thinks its vitally important for a child'd future well being to have them doing cores from an early age and make sure they appreciate why they are doing them, ei; don't just bribe them or force them, try and educate them in such a way that they are willing and voulanteering to do chores. They'll be greatful later in life when they do well at school or whatever they decide do do because they can appreciate the work that go's into things.

I think when i was a child i was made to do chores for all the wrong reasons. ie; single parent family and my mum was often working late so we had to make our own dinner, clean dishes, mow lawn, etc. But i was never taught to appreciate doing these things. And also often if my housework or whatever didn't live up to standards I was put down for it which is never good incentive to have another go. So when i moved out of home at 15, i rebelled against all this in a way and lived like a pig and ate shitty (vegetarian) junk food for 2 years. Until i started cleaning and eating well out of self respect and respect for the planet.

I also find it difficult to try and get my gf into helping me clean, its hard not to get angry at her for not helping me out. ANd often i feel as though when she does clean its a half-assed effort so then if i say something about it, it will really upset her and she's even less likely to help otu in the future if she thinks its unappreciated. I realise that she must find her own reasons help out and do it out of her own self respect. Im trying to find ways to make her realise the lazyness isn't a physical condition its a mental state. One must simply seize the moment.

Do you only wash your dishes once a week??

hehe....well sometimes, but i live by myself and so m-f my lunches are away from the house, and so it's only dinner dishes....i try to use paper plates as well, so that cuts down on things :)

i don't seriously believe that my ability to clean and stuff is a true measure of my worth, but i have a fairly traditional southern background, and that's just one of the myths that you sort of grow up with. specifically with my mother, she always said that 'there are more important things in life than having a clean house', but i know many other mothers that would rather have died than have had company see a dirty bathroom!

To Psychoblast: Im just like you except I like being at work as long as its not a Wendys or the supermarket job.

As soon as I resolve to do the chore and start working on it, there is no sense of burden, of emotional pain, of bondage to the necessities of life. Rather, I feel good about getting something done that needs to be done True True haha, except when u really dont have the time for minor shit like chores.

I was thinking how best to do the dishes, how to solve the various problems that came up, like a cup with a coffee stain that was dried onto it. Now when that inconvenience of irregular work or extra work that involves removing that stubborn stain of coffee or grease comes up is when my mind throws a fit in complain.:X

Last edited:
fizzygirl said:
i don't seriously believe that my ability to clean and stuff is a true measure of my worth, but i have a fairly traditional southern background, and that's just one of the myths that you sort of grow up with. specifically with my mother, she always said that 'there are more important things in life than having a clean house', but i know many other mothers that would rather have died than have had company see a dirty bathroom!

lol yes yes yes... my mother to a "T"