• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology Top AI scientist says advanced AI may already be conscious

"It may be that today's large neural networks are slightly conscious"
It's a matter of terminology, and even then... him having to state this in a super vague tweet and without any research or practical application backing up his claims says enough.

"slightly conscious" and "large neural networks" lol

Some argue that consciousness would be possible with the current neural net architectures and the right reinforcement learning algorithm, many others say you need entirely different approaches that nobody has any clue about.

This other smart guy says it well:

I think this article is a bit sensational. The sort of out of control conscious AI that we fear from science fiction requires that the AI be able to think for itself and break its own programmed parameters. The machine learning technology we have today isn't going to suddenly decide that humans need to be exterminated and abandon learning how to identify plants or drive a car in favor of taking over the world. Machine learning is really fascinating and amazing, but it's not like Terminator. It may or may not be possible for true consciousness in machines, which I would define as the ability to perceive, to have a sense of self and desires of its own.

I highly recommend reading this (gets to AI about 2/3 of the way): https://www.quantamagazine.org/anil-seth-finds-consciousness-in-lifes-push-against-entropy-20210930/

I’m still wondering what would make it substrate-dependent. Living things are made from cells. Is there something special about cells? How are they different from the components of a computer?

This is why I tend toward the substrate-dependent view. This imperative for self-organization and self-preservation in living systems goes all the way down: Every cell within a body maintains its own existence just as the body as a whole does. What’s more, unlike in a computer where you have this sharp distinction between hardware and software — between substrate and what “runs on” that substrate — in life, there isn’t such a sharp divide. Where does the mind-ware stop and the wetware start? There isn’t a clear answer. These, for me, are positive reasons to think that the substrate matters; a system that instantiates conscious experiences might have to be a system that cares about its persistence all the way down into its mechanisms, without some arbitrary cutoff. No, I can’t demonstrate that for certain. But it’s one interesting way in which living systems are different from computers, and it’s a way which helps me understand consciousness as it’s expressed in living systems.

Last edited:
What exactly makes him the "Top AI scientist"?
just because he is the lead scientist of a company that is actually stupid enough to do AI research,
and try to commercialize it in the future?

Yeah those are totally not greedy fucking bastards risking human life as we know it to make a buck. What intelligence, I'm baffled
Lead scientist, yeah? What a dude. Can go fuck himself is what he can do.

Sorry, I need coffee

I love how the word scientist hypnotizes people. Always reminds me of Seinfeld / Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Fuck doctors. I know doctors who are morons.

I'm sorry, but I need something much stronger than that.
Lol, I can say I'm a scientist, shit I have many certificates to prove my medical competence.
Sure it's social research, but I've written shitloads of papers about different psychological and neurological conditions.
Germany's Top Scientist. Deal with it! Doesn't matter that I live in a village with so few people that I never see anyone on Sundays.

You don't have to be sorry about that.

You are no moron. On the contrary, you're sharp as a whip.
Still not convinced about those sweaty Bavarian tits, though.

You are no moron. On the contrary, you're sharp as a whip.
Still not convinced about those sweaty Bavarian tits, though.
https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/boob-sweat

American website.
I think big breasts are just much much more common here,
and the issue depends a lot on that.

Also it's cold 9 months out of the year here,
and then super fucking hot for 3 months. Alpine folk usually all have issues with temperature and sweating,
because our bodies are not used to the heat. But in turn many of us have no issue with -10°C or even down to -20°C

From what I understand (I am @birdup BTW)... sweat doesn't actually smell?

You said last year that Bavarian women's tits smell like cheese.

I'm pretty sure my wife is Bavarian. When we aren't at a hippy festival, her tits smell (and taste) like whatever body wash she is using.

I like big tits, don't get me wrong. If they don't bounce, they are not for me.

From what I understand (I am @birdup BTW)... sweat doesn't actually smell?

You said last year that Bavarian women's tits smell like cheese.

I'm pretty sure my wife is Bavarian. When we aren't at a hippy festival, her tits smell (and taste) like whatever body wash she is using.

I like big tits, don't get me wrong. If they don't bounce, they are not for me.
Did I say that? That's what happens when I get drunk :eek: No I didn't say that, you must be joking

I mean once the sweat is older than 30-45 minutes it does most certainly smell.
Wanna give my armpits a whiff? :ROFLMAO: Oh shit they smell like deodorant.

I've got a thing for armpits and I'm bisexual so don't tempt me you sexy autistic German mother fucker. ;)

I've got a thing for armpits and I'm bisexual so don't tempt me you sexy autistic German mother fucker. ;)
Yeah sorry, women only :ROFLMAO:

I think the reason why males just don't mind at all is because female sweat smells really really good to us.
Not some stinky bad cheese, only the best shit.

But srsly, once the breasts get larger and the sun gets warmer, they do most certainly sweat.
I mean I get 58 million results on google for breast sweat, it's not unheard of dude.

Yeah, people don't appreciate smell as much as they should. It's all about the visuals... Personally, I love to huff a dirty pair of panties.

Good talk, December.

Wow reactions are my biggest compliment. I love it when I'm fucking someone - and then I do something really weird - the look on their face is priceless.