Train wrecking?

When a DJ is doing a mix and the records aren't matched quite right and basically sound terrible... Also trainspotting is watching someone spin/paying attention to what they're doin'
Peace,
EddiE

ooohhh i think im gonna change my name from mystery to train wreck...cause thats all i seem to do when i spin!!!
smile.gif
tee hee
the king train wreck
mystery

i've never heard your term trainspotting when pertaining to watching a DJ spin.
we usually just say "DJ Whore"
i always thought trainspotting or being a trainspotter was when someone was obsessed with the arrivals and departures of trains. Irvine Welsh actually named his novel "Trainspotting" because he compared this to the lives of his addicts.
------------------
(¯`·._(Lane)_.·´¯)
"Music defines time." -DJ Psydel

well this is my take on it.. think it makes a bit more sense. think of the records as trains.. when they clash they're wrecking.. when you're trainspotting ur spotting the tunes/records being spun either by eyes or ears.
------------------
oh my god thats the funky shit

So is it bad to trainspot? I love watching dj's spin. I have no idea what is going on, but it's really intersting and something I might try in the future.
Also, do dj's feel a lot of pressure when they're being trainspotted?
I'm retarded, I know.
smile.gif

------------------
Don't listen to any of these people. I'M your doctor.
- Dr. Rolls MD(MA)
Have a nicE day. :)

Calling one a whore because they enjoy observing a DJ is ridiculous. I frequently plop myself right in front of the booth when Im feeling what he's doing, I love watching a DJ work it. I dont think a good DJ is affected by someone watching him, on the other hand Ive seen DJs get into it even more when they realize im watching closely. I could watch a DJ all-night. AHHHHH train-wrecks fuckin hate em.

One thing we have all learned here is Keoki sucks bigtime! I saw him one night after all the hype (3years ago) when everybody was saying he was the shit! I admit I was excited to see him play. @ the party w/ my friends completly E'ed and ready..dancing w/ my friends we are discussing the current D.J on how bad this D.J is...when someone turns to us and says "hey! that is superstar D.J keoki"!!!! Trust me, we just could not stop laughing. NOTHING SUPER STAR ABOUT HIM!!
MORE LIKE SUPER SUCKS..Don't mmean to be so neg but he irritates...urrrrr..

If a dj is confident then he will react off the crowd, if he see's a bunch of people watchin him and diggin his shit then he'll get an ego-boost and maybe bust some shit out he wouldnt normally do.
If a dj is'nt confident then the crowd will scare him and he might screw up or spin more conservatively, even if he's laying down an awesome set....
it all depends on the dj and how he feels
Peace!
------------------
You're bound to become a buddha if you practice
If water drips long enough even rocks wear through
It's not true thick skulls can't be pierced
People just imagine their minds are hard. - Shih-wu

1. I've seen/heard Keoki live twice, neither was memorable (rip needle across record, demand drugs over sound system, refuse to continue until said drugs are provided). Harumph.
2. Right there w/ ya Dr. I sit and watch 'em spin...kinda makes my eyes screwy trying to read the record labels and figure out what track is playing. Then they tweak those magic knobs and flip that fader-thingy...cool.
------------------
I can feel the earth begin to move
I hear my needle hit the groove
And spiral through another day

bit like trancekid said - trainspotting is picking the tunes, or trying to, while the dj is spinning. its not so much to do with watching them spin, its to do with what they spin.
trainspotters/anoraks/anally-retentive idiots/whatever you want to call them, generally stand around the dj booth, just watching. not dancing, often not even moving - really looks like they're not enjoying it. they're noting what gets played, and that seems to consume them. the worst of them actually take notes - i kid you not. i've heard stories told by big name djs, where they were surrounded by a bunch of moody looking bastards, and some even taking notes on paper of whats being played. its a bizarre thing to do, but then real trainspotting is pretty bizarre as well
smile.gif

i think, at its worst, its contained to certain genres. i don't think you'd get the stereotypical 'spotter during a cheese-trance set, while if someone like the aphex twin was playing, you'd get the real 'spotters in effect. for most more dance-floor oriented genres, they exist more like me and others in this thread, just watching a dj work, trying to firgure a tune or two out, every now and then. real trainspotters...yes, freaks
smile.gif

In my own self--contained mind I always thought a trainspotter or trainspotting was someone who was really anal about a mix and could hear every mistake being made. Kinda like train as in "train wreck" and spotting as in hearing every wreck :p Just muh stupid head trying to interprate everything and find reason =)

trainspotters/anoraks/anally-retentive idiots/whatever you want to call them, generally stand around the dj booth, just watching. not dancing, often not even moving - really looks like they're not enjoying it. they're noting what gets played,
Wow, that somewhat describes me. I don't stand near the DJ booth. But I am not one to dance very often. Most people think I'm not having fun but I'm just listening to the music. Not necissarly how the DJ is spinning, but moreso thinking of how the track was put together.
I think it all streams from my foundation in writing music when I was younger.
I'm not really into dancing, I grew up in more of the alt. raWk, indie, "thrash" raWk generation.
wink.gif

applesbliss
------------------
PLUR in moderation

The term "DJ Whore" isn't ridiculous.
I'm happy to admit I'm a DJ Whore/Trainspotter.
I personally love it when people are watching my every move when I'm spinning.

Watching DJ's mix is the biggest reason I learned and am now a DJ- by seeing the detailed and specific twiddles and fades you are mesmorised (especially when off your trolley) and for me anyway this pushed me to learn how to make a set work.
I will happily take the tag DJ Whore as I never stand there looking stoned and bored, rather bop a bit and have a HUUUUUGe grin from ear to ear, obviously just loving to be there.
This is why I HATE with a passion the phrase
"deck-pest" which is often heard around here, as I feel this is better suited to the idiots requesting DJ Tiesto plays Vengaboys etc. (which I heard and pissed myself laughing)
I don't bother the DJ, I just love being where the action around me is being made from.
redface.gif
)
-Red.