• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Turns out Rush Limbaugh is a junky!

Another Article

Here's another article regarding this thread...

Hero or Big Fat Idiot, Rush Limbaugh Should Not Face Prison

By Matthew Briggs, Drug Policy Alliance
October 8, 2003

Rush Limbaugh is a hero to some and a big fat idiot to others. But when it comes to his criminal investigation for allegedly buying thousands of prescription painkillers, his politics are irrelevant. As long as no one else was harmed as a consequence of his drug use, Rush Limbaugh should not face incarceration or otherwise be punished for what he chose to put into his own body. Neither should any other American, regardless of class, age or race.

Limbaugh is not the first well-known Floridian to land in hot water over prescription drug abuse. Governor Jeb Bush's daughter, Noelle, was arrested in 2002 for trying to buy Xanax with a fraudulent prescription. At the time, the Drug Policy Alliance called for respect and privacy for the Bush family, but also pointed out the sharp discrepancy in Florida's treatment of drug abuse among people with less political power and financial means. For the past ten years more inmates have been admitted to Florida state prisons for drug offenses than for any other offense.

The sad cases of Noelle Bush – and now Rush Limbaugh – remind us that substance abuse problems do not discriminate. Unfortunately, thanks to Jeb Bush, Florida's drug policies still do.

Despite this personal encounter with drug abuse in the family and repeated calls for reform, Gov. Bush has cut drug treatment and drug court budgets in the state. He also staunchly opposed a possible ballot initiative which would have diverted nonviolent drug offenders away from prison. Treat others as you would want your own son or daughter treated, we said. It's a good principle in life, and a sound basis for drug policy. Gov. Bush didn't listen.

It is unclear where Mr. Limbaugh stands on drug policy. In 1995 he told listeners, "there's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country.... And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up." Mr. Limbaugh went on to deny that African Americans are over-incarcerated compared to whites as a result of the war on drugs. The answer to any such disparity, he said, was to catch more white drug users, "convict them and send them up the river, too."

In 1998, Mr. Limbaugh had a dramatically different message. "What is missing in the drug fight," he told a call-in listener, "is legalization. If we want to go after drugs with the same fervor and intensity with which we go after cigarettes, let's legalize drugs. Legalize the manufacture of drugs. License the Cali cartel."

Sarcasm? Perhaps, but I hope not. I hope, in fact, that this experience further opens Mr. Limbaugh's eyes to the plight of the hundreds of thousands of nonviolent drug offenders behind bars in this country. I would be happy to welcome him to the growing national movement for drug policy reform. We need all the help we can get.

But first and foremost, I hope Mr. Limbaugh's life isn't destroyed by unjust, unscientific and uncompassionate drug laws. No one deserves that, friend or foe.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16923

There were times when I worried," Cline told the National Enquirer, which broke the story in an edition being published today. "All these pills are enough to kill an elephant - never mind a man."

Which is he again?

Damn.... putting my hatred aside I am really impressed and in agreement with that article by Matthew Briggs... I can't wait to see what Rush does, and in saying that I hope he takes a big step in a positive direction with this conflict...

re: Matthew Briggs Article, I think it is very interesting what he mentions about bush and his attitudes toward drug reform even though bush can experience these backward policies himself in his own family. But when I think about it, Bush is known to be a reformed ex-alcoholic and ex-coke head so his "hard" stance on drugs is to be expected even if it's just to show others he's "clean" and "anti-drug" forever. How sad.

well he admitted it publicly today:

Friday, October 10, 2003 · Last updated 12:42 p.m. PT

Rush Limbaugh admits painkiller addiction

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh announced during his radio program Friday that he is addicted to painkillers and is checking into a rehab center to "break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me."

"You know I have always tried to be honest with you and open about my life," Limbaugh said during a stunning admission aired nationwide. "So I need to tell you today that part of what you have heard and read is correct. I am addicted to prescription pain medication."

"Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me," he added.

Limbaugh gave up his job as an ESPN sports analyst Oct. 1, three days after saying on the sports network's "Sunday NFL Countdown" that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

The reports of possible drug abuse surfaced at about the same time, first in the National Enquirer. The tabloid had interviewed Wilma Cline, who said she became Limbaugh's drug connection after working as his maid. She said Limbaugh had abused OxyContin and other painkillers.

Law enforcement sources who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed to The Associated Press that Limbaugh was being investigated by the Palm Beach County, Fla., state attorney's office.

"At the present time, the authorities are conducting an investigation, and I have been asked to limit my public comments until this investigation is complete," Limbaugh said Friday.

Mike Edmondson, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County state attorney's office, said Friday his office could neither confirm nor deny that an investigation was under way. Limbaugh's attorney, Roy Black, did not return a message seeking comment.

Limbaugh said he started taking painkillers "some years ago" after a doctor prescribed them following a spinal surgery. His back pain stemming from the surgery persisted, so Limbaugh said he started taking pills and became hooked.

"Over the past several years I have tried to break my dependence on pain pills and, in fact, twice checked myself into medical facilities in an attempt to do so. I have recently agreed with my physician about the next steps."

Damn, and he's been so anti-drug for all this time, now look at him.

He's the same person who spear-headed a campaign to cut off financial aid to college students who were convicted of a drug related crime. Fuckin bastard.

Notice his CAREFUL choice of wording, he is not saying that he was addicted to DRUGS but ...

I am addicted to prescription pain medication."