• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Science US scientists reach long-awaited nuclear fusion breakthrough, source says

It's a start for sure.

Keep in mind it took all that equipment to produce enough energy to boil about 10 kettles (according to the CNN article cited)

Maybe about twenty to fifty years and we might see fusion power supplies that are practical and economically feasible. So, hope for the future.

Fossil fuel companies:

Stephen Colbert Murder GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

After a small amount of fuel is injected into the tokamak, giant magnets are activated to create a plasma. The plasma needs to reach at least 150 million degrees Celsius, 10 times hotter than the core of the sun.
thats pretty crazy

I wonder whether they really do the best possible. Or if fossil fuel corps are somehow involved and kind of sabotage such efforts of clean energy so that it remains always 20-50 years in the future.

But yeah, crazy technology. I hope they will succeed. Maybe one day we'll be able to buy nuclear fusion devices for home use, like computers which were filling rooms 50 years ago.

I wonder whether they really do the best possible. Or if fossil fuel corps are somehow involved and kind of sabotage such efforts of clean energy so that it remains always 20-50 years in the future.
We had cars fueled with water in the 80s. Not some fancy water, the engine also worked with ocean water or snow.

The inventor was assassinated. One day he randomly collapsed, and his last words before collapsing were "I've been poisoned!".

That's not some obscure conspiracy, his engine and his suspicious death are well documented.

Think about how many oil billionaires there are... our world has been dependent on fossil fuels for over 100 years.

In that same amount of time we invented quantum computers, space, can cure almost any disease... yet we have not been able to invent some new fuel source?

It's a giant conspiracy man. Fuel = power. They don't want to lose it.

We had cars fueled with water in the 80s. Not some fancy water, the engine also worked with ocean water or snow.
Yeah, I heard/read about this water car and his inventor. Honestly I don't know what to believe about such free energy tech, most of it is scam or bullshit (at least these free energy or anti gravity devices one finds on YouTube or paid websites). Afaik the inventor denied any deep third party investigation of his car and unfortunately it was before the internet. I imagine that a plan for free energy would get viral online and I easily believe that he was killed for his invention. Do you have a good link at hand about this water car? Want to read more.

But it's true, our energy production still relies on boiling water with sone sort of fuel mostly. How retro.

The inventor was assassinated. One day he randomly collapsed, and his last words before collapsing were "I've been poisoned!".

That's not some obscure conspiracy, his engine and his suspicious death are well documented.

Think about how many oil billionaires there are... our world has been dependent on fossil fuels for over 100 years.

In that same amount of time we invented quantum computers, space, can cure almost any disease... yet we have not been able to invent some new fuel source?

It's a giant conspiracy man. Fuel = power. They don't want to lose it.
Yes, I remember that story. The fellow's name was Stanley Meyer, it is very well documented. The problem is that it didn't actually work economicly as it was common electrolysis and he was sued for fraud.

Meyer's patents have expired. His inventions are now in the public domain, available for all to use without restriction or royalty payment. No engine or vehicle manufacturer has incorporated Meyer's work

Wiki artlicle

In my mind, I choose to believe it's more feasible that certain technologies are suppressed than believe our cars still run on dinosaur juice because it's impossible to create more efficient alternatives.

In my mind, I choose to believe it's more feasible that certain technologies are suppressed than believe our cars still run on dinosaur juice because it's impossible to create more efficient alternatives.

Very possible, but Meyer's "invention" ran the car at a net energy loss. His method used electrolysis (separation of Hydrogen and Oxygen molecules) using electricity. This required the same amount of energy to create the Hydrogen as was released when the Hydrogen was burned, minus electrical losses and mechanical work (moving the car) so more electricity was required than if he had simply used the electricity to power an electric motor to drive the car. It was a net energy loss, not an energy source.

It was a very nice try though. maybe someday some one will figure out a way, but that day has not come yet.