• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

USA - Everyone to be liable for drugs found in cars?

nick44 said:
I think drugs should be legal. Don't need to state the reasons. Everyone here knows this.

However.....

I just got shot. Didn't see who did it - but three people get into a car and speed off. The cops catch up with them and find the gun in the car. They know SOMEBODY did it. Are you people saying that they can't arrest ANYBODY?

Drugs are illegal. We know this. But anyone who complains that this case is the reason why the legal system is going down the tubes is not appreciating what a tough legal question this is.

Irregardless of whether we think it is a crime, possession of drugs is a crime and basically what you are saying is that you are letting someone get away with commiting one. If someone shot me I would sure as hell want them detaining everyone in that car.

Yeah, I understand that this is a special case... and the police didn't do their work. I have found police to be idiots, always suspicious of every little thing. But what would you do? Let everyone go?

:\

The job of the courts is to weigh the arm of the law with the impact it makes on peoples' civil liberties.
If a court reasoned that cops can arrest all passengers of a car in which a gun was found following a shooting as you described, this would NOT necessarily mean that a cop has the right to arrest all passengers of a car any time any illegal contraband was found. In the case with the gun and the shooting, the court could give law enforcement greater leeway due to the violent nature of the crime and the greater good of the community in detaining the shooter.

Another example to illustrate this point...the Supreme Court has found certain road checks/blocks to be legal whereas others illegal based upon their impact on people's civil liberties versus the greater good of society. They have found that road checks for the purpose of sobriety checks are legal because the danger posed by drunk drivers outweighs the modest invasion or personal freedoms caused by such a stop. On the other hand, the court has found that road checks for the purpose of drug searches by trained sniffer dogs are illegal because the danger posed by people simply carrying drugs is negligible.

Last edited:
nick44 said:
I think drugs should be legal. Don't need to state the reasons. Everyone here knows this.

However.....

I just got shot. Didn't see who did it - but three people get into a car and speed off. The cops catch up with them and find the gun in the car. They know SOMEBODY did it. Are you people saying that they can't arrest ANYBODY?

Drugs are illegal. We know this. But anyone who complains that this case is the reason why the legal system is going down the tubes is not appreciating what a tough legal question this is.

Irregardless of whether we think it is a crime, possession of drugs is a crime and basically what you are saying is that you are letting someone get away with commiting one. If someone shot me I would sure as hell want them detaining everyone in that car.

Yeah, I understand that this is a special case... and the police didn't do their work. I have found police to be idiots, always suspicious of every little thing. But what would you do? Let everyone go?

:\

One more point to add to this example...

In the above hypothetical case, the issue is not the mere ownership/possession of the gun. All people in the car would have been party to a crime (the shooting) that was committed (regardless of whether or not they were the shooter) and therefore all people could be detained and/or arrested simply based upon that.

Well said, Craig. I was just about to add to it, but you beat me to it.
There is a definate difference between arresting passengers of a vehicle for being under the influence of a controlled substance, and arresting them for being in close proximity to a controlled substance. If there are no obvious signs that people in the vehicle are high on drugs, I don't see how a police officer could reasonably infer that all parties knew of the presence of the drugs/paraphenalia and are all equally guilty for posession.

Most police should be satisfied enough that they 'scared the law' into whoever it DOES belong to. At least they can walk away with the drugs/paraphenalia. True, they would much rather make an arrest, and if people got wind of this law no one would ever fess up to drugs/paraphenalia if more than one occupant was in the vehicle ... but there is no way that the egregious rights violation of arresting all parties involved can be justified, even if the only other option is to make no arrests and simply confiscate the illegal material.
Sorry if I came off as rude or sarcastic earlier, its been a long week :\

pz

JosephTHeSequel said:
good lord silver, please keep spitting out your aclu propoganda, i love it

SilverFeniks said:
ACLU? haha no.

I cannot understand why any American would mock the ACLU. The ACLU's sole mission is to defend the principles and rights afforded us by the United States Constitution.

"It was three o'clock in the morning, a time when few persons are carpooling to work; an inference could be drawn that all three were engaged in a common illicit enterprise," says Gary Bair, Maryland's solicitor general, in his brief to the court.

I thought our legal system was based on evidence rather than inferences...

This is ridiculous to say the least. When you come over to a party, and the host has stolen a big-screen TV and cops bust the party and find the stolen TV, do ALL YOUR GUESTS get charged with theft or possession of stolen article ??? This can be so wide and high there are infinite possibilities for the cops...:p

Crazeee said:
When you come over to a party, and the host has stolen a big-screen TV and cops bust the party and find the stolen TV, do ALL YOUR GUESTS get charged with theft or possession of stolen article ???

Don't confuse "arresting suspects" with "charging suspects". In the case in front of the Supreme Court, the cops arrested all of the suspects, they did not charge all of them with crimes.

Ok, why would I be even arrrested just because someone has stolen property on their premises ? Like I said cops can really stretch this as far as they want.

craig420 said:
Originally posted by JosephTHeSequel
good lord silver, please keep spitting out your aclu propoganda, i love it

I cannot understand why any American would mock the ACLU. The ACLU's sole mission is to defend the principles and rights afforded us by the United States Constitution.
No offense intended to JosephTHeSequel. But his views tend to be somewhat schizophrenic. On the one hand he talks about drug use. On the other he supports a right wing view of it. Thus his disdain for the ACLU.

craig420 said:

Ah, the ACLU: Tireless defenders of 96% of the Constitution. I support them, but I'd be more impressed if they hadn't chickened out over the 2nd Amendment. Apparently "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" was too vague and confusing for a nest of Constitutional scholars to be able to interpret.

^^^I think they figure there's already a whole organization devoted to defending the 2nd Amendment...it's called the NRA. As such, I think the ACLU rightfully puts it resources where they are best needed.

If the ACLU were to support only Constitutional issues, I'd definately have a totally favorable opinion of them. And I must say I have respect for their organization now that they have taken on the PATRIOT and RAVE acts, and related things.
But of course we all have different ideologies, so I can't 100% support them. They claim to stand for racial equality, yet support affirmative action. To me, that's just another form of racism. I'm not too down with illegal immigrants having virtually all the rights of citizens either.

I was socialized to hate the ACLU though, so that might be part of my automatic dissing :\ Sorry :)

the aclu kinda scares me. recently I have seen documented cases where they have defended the North American Man Boy Love Association's website which was posting tips on seducing young boys.

Then their is the case where at a school speech the student reffered to the principal as a skank, reffered to other school officials as homos etc.., and the aclu defended him when he got suspended.

JosephTHeSequel said:
the aclu kinda scares me. recently I have seen documented cases where they have defended the North American Man Boy Love Association's website which was posting tips on seducing young boys.

That's a great <controversial> topic.

I think we're straying from the topic so I'll make this brief.

In the case with NAMBLA that you mentioned, the NAMBLA is an organization with very controversial topics. It's members purportedly in favor of loving and/or sexual relationships between men and (underage) boys. Obviously, most people are against such relationships. Indeed, the ACLU has defended this aberrant group. In addition, I wholeheartedly support the ACLU's effort in defending this group. What is important here is to clarify what the ACLU is defending. The ACLU is not defending sexual relationships between men and boys. It is not defending the NAMBLA's right to post tips on seducing boys (as this may very well be illegal as it could be viewed as aiding or abetting a crime). What the ACLU is defending is the NAMBLA's right to exist and to keep a website altogether. This is a great example of freedom of speech. This is one of our most fundamental rights. Law enforcement agencies (along with a large portion of the general public) have attempted to ban the NAMBLA. ACLU is simply defending this organization's ability to exist and express their opinions. Except when their speech is in and of itself a crime (which posting tips on seducing underage boys may be), their freedom of speech should defended, regardless of your view of the organization, their members, or their beliefs.

Last edited:
I know its about the 1st amend, regardless, the aclu is defending a group who supports sex with underage boys. and to brian oblivion, please tell me where i support a right wing view of drugs? I believe pot should be legal..

craig420 said:
One more point to add to this example...

In the above hypothetical case, the issue is not the mere ownership/possession of the gun. All people in the car would have been party to a crime (the shooting) that was committed (regardless of whether or not they were the shooter) and therefore all people could be detained and/or arrested simply based upon that.

Yes. Good point.

The situations are much different. But I think most of the doomsday talk in this thread is involved in extrapolating this decision into other situations - i.e. decrying that all of our civil liberties will go down the slippery slope into the drain.

You see - it's just 2 different ways of looking at it. I'm just against any kind of knee jerk polarizing rhetoric. It's not as if I support the government in this case as I am opposing a "let's give everyone infinite liberties and live in a lawless state" idea.

We need to understand the arguments... as you obviously do.

craig420
14.gif

For those still interested... slate has a pretty good article about how it is being argued in the Supreme Court....

http://slate.msn.com/id/2090675/

Crackseat Driver
The Supreme Court takes on collective punishment.
By Dahlia Lithwick
Posted Monday, Nov. 3, 2003, at 3:34 PM PT

You would think the following scene occurs every day: Cops pull over a speeding vehicle and search for drugs. Crack is found. All three passengers insist the drugs are not theirs. So the cops arrest them all. The constitutional dispute today is whether the cops had probable cause to arrest everybody, or just the driver, or just the guy next to the wad of bills in the glove compartment, or just the guy in the back seat with the crack. All of which is interesting. But even more interesting is that this is a case of "first impression" for the high court—meaning no one has brought this kind of challenge before. Apparently, in every other car ever stopped, someone has cheerfully admitted to owning the drugs.

Joseph Pringle made several mistakes on Aug. 7, 1999. One was being the passenger in a car with a driver who consented to a police search. Another was hiding the big wad of $763 in cash in the glove box of that car—where the license and registration lived. Another was hiding the five baggies of crack cocaine in the back seat, cleverly jammed behind the armrest. Another was later confessing at the police station that yes, the drugs were his and that he was hoping to trade them for sex at a party (I always find that "Nice dress" or "Great party, huh?" works OK, too).

At his suppression hearing, Pringle argued that even though he'd confessed to everything, the cops should not have been allowed to arrest him in the first place because under the Fourth Amendment they did not have sufficiently particularized suspicion that the drugs were his. The Maryland Court of Appeals agreed with him, holding 4-3 that since Pringle was in the front passenger seat and the drugs were stashed in the rear armrest, there was no probable cause to arrest him. The state of Maryland appealed.

Gary E. Bair argues for Maryland this morning, and Bair seems to believe that the state has probable cause to arrest everyone in a drug-mobile because it's always a reasonable assumption that they all know about the drugs. Bair apparently lives in the Land That Knows No Carpools. And he thus spends most of his time this morning resisting the planes, trains, and automobiles hypotheticals put forth by the justices.

What if the drugs had been found closer to the driver, rather than in the back seat, asks Sandra Day O'Connor. Could all three passengers still be arrested? Yes, says Bair, because the car is a common area. What if the drugs were found in the trunk, asks Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Well, says Bair, if there were a "large quantity of drugs in the trunk, or a dead body in the trunk …"; Ginsburg reminds him that this is her hypo and there is just a Ziploc bag in the trunk, not a dead body.

Then it's O'Connor's turn with the innocent-grandma hypo: "What if it's a high-crime area and some mother gets a ride from her son and doesn't know he's involved with drugs?" Can she be arrested? "Supposing it's the middle of the day," she adds. "And she's going to the grocery store?" Bair can't quite make himself say "Lock the old drug-mom up." So he mumbles something about a "totality of the circumstances test."

Justice John Paul Stevens has a hypo, too. What if there were four passengers in the car instead of three? No different says Bair. "What if there were six?" asks Stevens. Same. Stevens, undaunted: "What if it's a minivan and there are eight people?" he asks. Lock 'em up. Stevens takes a breather while Ginsburg takes over: "What if it had been a bus?"

Bair seems ready to concede that he would not seek to arrest all the passengers on a bus just because someone had drugs. Prompting Antonin Scalia to enter the bidding war to ask if the result would be different if it were a public bus or a charter bus. He appears to be asking this question purely for recreational purposes.

Anthony Kennedy wonders whether the police, upon finding a dead body and two possible killers, each claiming the other did it, could arrest them both. Bair, who couldn't get Ginsburg on board with his dead body in the trunk hypo, appears relieved that the corpses are back. He says both potential killers could be subject to arrest.

Stevens then notes that there are three suspects here—not two. So it's not as if there's a 50 percent chance that one guy is the criminal. There's only a 33.3 percent chance. Can a mere 33.3 percent likelihood of criminality constitute probable cause? Bair insists you cannot quantify probable cause. Stevens is unperturbed. So what if there are four people and each is only 25 percent likely to be the criminal?

And what if there were 300 people on a 747 and one of them was purple?

It's a long morning.

David Souter jumps in the game: "What if it were undisputed that one of the three men were a hitchhiker?" he asks. Bair wonders how this fact could be undisputed. Souter retorts that that's "the wonderful thing about being in the Supreme Court." You get to make up the hypos.

Then Stevens is back, raising Souter's hypo and calling. "What if it was a driver and two hitchhikers?" Bair says he has two answers. His first answer is nonresponsive, causing Stevens to ask for the other.

"I assume his two answers were 'yes,' and 'no,' " chuckles Scalia.

Sri Srinivasan has 10 minutes to argue the case for the U.S. solicitor general's office. I know and love Sri from law school, so I can only say that he tries to be reasonable, but the justices are smelling hypo-blood today.

First O'Connor (for whom he once clerked) asks whether he's not seeking a broad new rule that probable cause exists to arrest all occupants of a car anytime drugs are found. When Srinivasan says no, he's just asking for a totality of the circumstance test, Kennedy reads to him from the government's brief where they ask for a broad new rule inferring that all occupants of the car are aware of the drugs.

O'Connor, who's already done the driving-innocent-grandmother-to-church hypo, now grinds out the corollary: "What if there's a young child in the car, and it's the middle of the day, and he's dropping the child off at school?" Should the child be dragged off to juvenile hall? This drug dealer's got a helluva "to do" list: "Take mom to grocery store. Drop Billy off at school. Trade drugs for sex at party. Pick up dry cleaning."

Ginsburg points out that there are "two innocent people locked up in jail" using Srinivasan's inference of guilt rule. To which he replies that this is the cost of enforcing the law.

Nancy S. Forster represents Pringle. She too resists every hypo the justices throw at her. She also resists the facts of the case as set forth by the court of appeals. She seems to do so out of the misguided notion that her client is a great guy. So when she starts to tell the court that there was absolutely no evidence on which to suspect Pringle of wrongdoing, O'Connor almost explodes: There are three people driving around in a car at 3:30 a.m., in a high-crime neighborhood, in a sedan, there are drugs in the car and money in the glove compartment, she sputters.

Forster interrupts. It was actually 3:16 a.m. Definitely worth correcting your swing vote over that. Also, it was a residential area. "And" she adds, "anyone with children that age knows that on Saturday night the evening doesn't even begin until 10 or 11 …"

Which causes the chief justice to nearly explode: "We don't usually refer to 'children' as being in their 20s."

Even Souter doesn't appear to feel too much sympathy for these "children." "There are three people in a small car, with commercial quantities of drugs, the inference is that someone was dealing drugs." Forster rejects the contention that five vials of crack are necessarily for commercial and not personal use. What about the $763? snaps Souter. Well, Forster disputes that the amount of cash was $763. The chief justice and Souter point out that a large wad of bills in the glove box is suspicious, no matter what the amount. Forster disputes that great wads of cash are suspicious.

"Do you have a roll of bills exposed in your glove compartment?" asks Souter, exasperated.

"At times I do," says Forster (for those $200 tolls on I-95?).

"You'd better be careful," says Souter. Forster then manages to alienate her last friend on the bench when Ginsburg asks her which of the three people in the car could have been properly arrested under the circumstances.

"Arrest Mr. Partlow, the driver of the car," Forster says. It is reasonable to impute that he has knowledge and control of what's in the car. Ginsberg asks if anyone else could be arrested. Forster, going for broke, suggests that the guy in the back seat could maybe be arrested since he was closest to the drugs.

Ginsberg is dumbfounded. "So maybe the driver, and maybe the backseat occupant. But not the one who in fact committed the crime?"

On and on it goes, with Forster more or less asking the court to adopt a per se rule that everyone on the planet should be arrested for drug possession, except her client, and Bair essentially asking for a per se rule that everyone on the planet can be arrested for drug possession, since it would be easier than actually investigating a crime. The justices don't seem all that impressed by either position. But until they actually decide this case, my (purely recreational) legal advice to you is as follows: Don't carpool to work with crack dealers, not even the kind with elderly mothers and preschoolers in the back seat.

Granted I'm basing my opinion entirely upon the article posted above by nick44...but it sounds as if the lawyer representing this guy is a rather incompetent (at least in comparison to the quality of lawyer that should be arguing a case in front of the Supreme Court). With such an important decision at stake, I am surprised the ACLU has not taken over the defense pro bono. I just hope the justices are able to draw their own rational decisions because the defense's arguments sure weren't cutting it.