• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Share What Are Your Favourite Chuck Palahniuk Books?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
So far I've only read three [Fight Club, Haunted and Invisible Monsters (Remix)] but I've loved all three and am hoping to get some recommendations on what to read next? :)

Feel like Invisible Monsters would be a lot better in the original format but I've never read the remix. How'd you like it?

And to answer your question - (other than Invisible Monsters) Choke and Survivor are fucking masterpieces. Choke + Invisible Monsters are two of my favorite books of all time, with Survivor and Fight Club not far behind.

Lullaby is pretty good too, as is Diary. Didn't care much for Rant or Haunted (they were okay). Since I've avoided Pygmy and the Fight Club graphic novel sequels due to how bad they seem to be (primarily Pygmy, the Fight Club sequels seem mediocre and stupid but readable), the only Palahniuk book I have been unable to get through was 'Make Something Up'.

Last edited:
Feel like Invisible Monsters would be a lot better in the original format but I've never read the remix. How'd you like it.

And to answer your question - (other than Invisible Monsters) Choke and Survivor are fucking masterpieces. Choke + Invisible Monsters are two of my favorite books of all time, with Survivor and Fight Club not far behind.

Lullaby is pretty good too, as is Diary. Didn't care much for Rant or Haunted (they were okay). Since I've avoided Pygmy and the Fight Club graphic novel sequels due to how bad they seem to be (primarily Pygmy, the Fight Club sequels seem mediocre and stupid but readable), the only Palahniuk book I have been unable to get through was 'Make Something Up'.

I loved it and chose to read that version as it's how the author always wanted it read. Plus, it has several interesting additional chapters, chapters you have to read via a mirror, and even chapters you don't get led to at all (he mentions this in the pre-face/introduction so I drew a little star next to each chapter I started so I could then check for any I'd missed).

I'll add all your recommendations to my list, thanks! Might read Choke next as I've only heard good things about it.
Haunted was hitty-missy for me, but it was high on so many "most disturbing book" lists I had to read it. Not disturbing IMO, but certainly original.

I loved it and chose to read that version as it's how the author always wanted it read. Plus, it has several interesting additional chapters, chapters you have to read via a mirror, and even chapters you don't get led to at all (he mentions this in the pre-face/introduction so I drew a little star next to each chapter I started so I could then check for any I'd missed).
I've been thinking that the original was how Chuck intended it to be read this entire time. Remix sounds interesting, I'll give it a read soon. Thank you for explaining it.

Read Choke ('Fight Club' for sex-addicts), then Lullaby (what if you could catch a virus through sound?), then Survivor (welcome to a death-cult), then Snuff (woman attempting the world's biggest gang-bang).

I think all of his books are worth reading, but these and the one's you've read are by far the best IMO.

I liked Pygmy but it wasn't nearly as good as the previous books he'd written. Rant was an okay book, but none I would recommend in any case.
Still haven't read what he realesed after that, but I'm planning to.

Last edited:
Haunted was hitty-missy for me, but it was high on so many "most disturbing book" lists I had to read it. Not disturbing IMO, but certainly original.
The story "Guts" made me feel so physically ill the first time I read it (on the bus to high school) that I had to put it down now and then.
I found it incredibly disturbing because of the imagery he managed to convey.
It still makes me queasy.

But yes, he is very original. I love the way the builds up his stories and the fuck up characters that drives the plot forward.
That way he litters his books with factoids and very seemingly random and obscure trivia is a delight to read.

Feel like Invisible Monsters would be a lot better in the original format but I've never read the remix. How'd you like it.

I really liked Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, Rant, Choke, probably in that order. I think Rant is pretty good for the weird sci-fi element and is a little underrated. Fight club was short but decent. I haven't read Diary, Survivor or Haunted though.