College What did you major in college?

I have about 6 months or so before I get my BS In Applied Sociology and Anthropology. It's funny though, I spent my entire high school career shooting dope, popping bars, fighting, etc., and I barely even graduated lmao but now I'm a deans list veteran, received multiple nominations to present research at local and national conferences, and even received an award.

The weirdest part though, is I'm 90% sure I'm the only person in my major (my program is super small) who uses/used drugs. I do notice, however, that recovering (and even to some extent, those in active addiction) are extremely ambitious and hardworking.

I have about 6 months or so before I get my BS In Applied Sociology and Anthropology. It's funny though, I spent my entire high school career shooting dope, popping bars, fighting, etc., and I barely even graduated lmao but now I'm a deans list veteran, received multiple nominations to present research at local and national conferences, and even received an award.

The weirdest part though, is I'm 90% sure I'm the only person in my major (my program is super small) who uses/used drugs. I do notice, however, that recovering (and even to some extent, those in active addiction) are extremely ambitious and hardworking.
I got a master's degree in anthropology. One of our professors got in trouble a few years prior for growing a marijuana plant in his office. I guess he didn't get fired because he had tenure. Fucking legend!

I studied philosophy, then 2 years of organic agriculture. Now I'm very interested in organic chemistry specifically in neurochemistry and phytopharmacology.
I'm doing a master's degree on education that is mandatory to be a high school teacher and also did a 3 years course about philosophical counseling, thinking that could help me to be a psychedelic therapist (plan that I'm not sure about to do nowadays).

Psychology, but dropped out after only three months due to depression/anorexia.

Wanna go back and do Film Studies, though! And Spanish. I can speak it pretty well now, but I'm still far from being fluent.
I'm thinking in learning tagalog, it's pretty similar to spanish in certain aspects, some words and most sounds are very similar (vowels/consonants). Philippines seems like a paradise with traditional people, and amazing beauties...
I told my gf about living there, and I think she suspected something... and didn't like the idea: "I have no interest at all in philippines.., but I won't stop you." she replied ;):p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Maybe I need to find a pinay?:redneck::hehe:

I graduated with a BA in philosophy. A positive pregnancy test changed things for us considerably:
no medical insurance = Go Directly to Work; Do Not Pass Graduate School.

But I drove my parents a bit crazy. My line was, "I'm going to college for an education, not a career." Started pre-med, switched to math, then dropped out for a bit to reevaluate (get my shit together), then philosophy. By the time I finished, I had met the minor requirements in math, English, physics, and classical studies. But back then the ONLY organization interviewing graduating math majors was the NSA, and that was not very attractive to me back in the second part of the '70s. And I just loved number theory, but there were aspects of it that triggered some OCD traits pretty badly. So, philosophy, in many ways requiring similar abilities (mental manipulation of abstract concepts).

I went on through a couple careers, but what stuck with me regarding majors and careers was that they were less connected as time went by. I managed a technical R&D group, and the director had a degree in linguistics. And we killed it, if I say so myself. The person matters more than the paper.

I graduated with a BA in philosophy. A positive pregnancy test changed things for us considerably:
no medical insurance = Go Directly to Work; Do Not Pass Graduate School.

But I drove my parents a bit crazy. My line was, "I'm going to college for an education, not a career." Started pre-med, switched to math, then dropped out for a bit to reevaluate (get my shit together), then philosophy. By the time I finished, I had met the minor requirements in math, English, physics, and classical studies. But back then the ONLY organization interviewing graduating math majors was the NSA, and that was not very attractive to me back in the second part of the '70s. And I just loved number theory, but there were aspects of it that triggered some OCD traits pretty badly. So, philosophy, in many ways requiring similar abilities (mental manipulation of abstract concepts).

I went on through a couple careers, but what stuck with me regarding majors and careers was that they were less connected as time went by. I managed a technical R&D group, and the director had a degree in linguistics. And we killed it, if I say so myself. The person matters more than the paper.
I also kind of went pre med to math. Well it was technically it would’ve been a B.S. neuroscience with plans to pursue medical research (but not necessarily medical school). Same idea tho

I’m still currently attending university for my undergrad. My junior year actually begins next week

I thought about philosophy too but I found the other students in those classes to be a bit much. It was the same in the neuro classes too actually. Big reason why i switched

i still would like to pivot back into neuro research eventually , luckily math is pretty applicable there. But like you said it’s the person not the paper. I can get the paper, but I do worry that I’ll have trouble finding employment in something I find stimulating

I did a level 2 Btech in agriculture currently working on a level 3 Btech.

UK college so the first one is eq to a high-school diploma and the second one is eq to A levels which it's self is eq to ap qualifications.

I did a level 2 Btech in agriculture currently working on a level 3 Btech.

UK college so the first one is eq to a high-school diploma and the second one is eq to A levels which it's self is eq to ap qualifications.

Good going!! What do you want to do at the end of it mate?

Good going!! What do you want to do at the end of it mate?
thanks man.
I would really like to go into some sort of apprenticeship with an agronomist* and / or operate a livestock feed mill. I quite enjoy balancing rations for livestock.
(although I will probably get stuck in another qualification before going into industry :mad:.)

* Agronomists are soil and crop scientists who tell farms how best to take care of their soil and crops.

thanks man.
I would really like to go into some sort of apprenticeship with an agronomist* and / or operate a livestock feed mill. I quite enjoy balancing rations for livestock.
(although I will probably get stuck in another qualification before going into industry :mad:.)

* Agronomists are soil and crop scientists who tell farms how best to take care of their soil and crops.

Nice! Where do you think your interest in agriculture came from? I grew up in the country, on a farm, so for me I guess my interest has family/background roots.

Nice! Where do you think your interest in agriculture came from? I grew up in the country, on a farm, so for me I guess my interest has family/background roots.
Oh cool I dident know you were in ag. Me personaly I'm a first generation farmer.

The reason I got into farming is complex. I would have to say the main reason I started thinking about growing produce was shrooms funnily enough. I got an apriciation for mushrooms from learning about magic ones, then I thought that it would be fun to grow oyster mushrooms as a business.

At about the same time as I was learning abt mushrooms i was at college for engineering but that was a shit show the teacher went missing and I ended up with the wrong qualification. I got really depressed. Cause I tend to do that.

So after leaving college with a worthless degree, seveer depression and a distane for being worked to death in some factory like the past two generations of my family I decided to try out for an agric qualification.

I wanted to learn about feed rations but It was a less theory based course than I had thought. But I just fell in love with sheep. Tame weathers are like big wooly dogs.

Sorry about the life story.

• Love
Reactions: CFC
Oh cool I dident know you were in ag. Me personaly I'm a first generation farmer.

The reason I got into farming is complex. I would have to say the main reason I started thinking about growing produce was shrooms funnily enough. I got an apriciation for mushrooms from learning about magic ones, then I thought that it would be fun to grow oyster mushrooms as a business.

At about the same time as I was learning abt mushrooms i was at college for engineering but that was a shit show the teacher went missing and I ended up with the wrong qualification. I got really depressed. Cause I tend to do that.

So after leaving college with a worthless degree, seveer depression and a distane for being worked to death in some factory like the past two generations of my family I decided to try out for an agric qualification.

I wanted to learn about feed rations but It was a less theory based course than I had thought. But I just fell in love with sheep. Tame weathers are like big wooly dogs.

Sorry about the life story.

Do you like writing? With your personal knowledge of farming you could start a profitable blog that could start earning you money in 12 months if you stay consistent. Hit me up because I'm new to blogging myself but I've just taken a killer course that takes from point A to point B on how to make your blog profitable.

EDIT: I got a BA in Business Management. it was so outdated and irrelevant to the world today that I WISH I had never taken it (simply because of the amount of money it costs). The only thing I gained from University was fun and meeting amazingly good friends who I call my best (and also how to deal drugs) which for the record I do not do anymore or have not done since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
undergrad in writing and history and I am currently a grad student in a library and information science program edit: I’d be remiss if I didn’t brag about my 4.0gpa ;)

• Heart
Well it was a University in fact here, though age 18 after School I began an Art class local college but had taken on board a life a major psychedelia so was unmotivated and also so outcast by being on a different level to my fellow youthlings.

So I quit, went to Swansea seaside Uni amazing place then, to study a joint degree (thus won't surprise anybody) in Philosophy & Psychology.

Except I had no actual interest or vision of any career afterwards, Duh-ly lol.

Because it was pure personal development and consciousness expansion I always sought.

Even if I did go in for a career, Lyme would have stole it from under my feet anyway.

It wasn't my destiny, but my 4 years in Swansea were still an incredible mystical enlightening time and I did enjoy the lectures except Statistics & Statistical Psychology longterm project stuff.

my 4 years in Swansea were still an incredible mystical enlightening time and I did enjoy the lectures

Job well done then! I don't think we live, or learn things, just to fit into whatever job-work pigeon hole is the current flavor du jour. The things we do are what we enjoy (hopefully!) and part of what make us who we are. Eventually we die and nothing matters anyway, so enjoying the process should probably always be among the most important criteria.

Job well done then! I don't think we live, or learn things, just to fit into whatever job-work pigeon hole is the current flavor du jour. The things we do are what we enjoy (hopefully!) and part of what make us who we are. Eventually we die and nothing matters anyway, so enjoying the process should probably always be among the most important criteria.
It baffles me mate nowyears not just my own life but how, no person could have the same type of free glorious experience alone I was gifted in September 1999.

For years. It really was a different world.

I had such a heavenly time.

I always feel sorry for students denied this. Especially when Covid hype was peaked, masks students all in 10 day lockdown etc.

Vs the free fantastic mystical version I got!

• Heart