what did you want to be as a child? and do you still have the same ambition now?

omg just remembered that i went through that stage that all(?) little girls do of wanting to be a princess but some of my sensory issues mean i hate brushing my hair, so my mum manipulated me into doing it by telling me that princesses brush their hair 100 times a day.

then my dad killed my ambition by explaining that his grandfather had been a very minor russian prince which meant his whole family got murdered by the bolsheviks. when i asked if we could go back and reclaim our little mountain republic he told me they behead westerners.

i'm glad i moved swiftly onto wanting to be a pathologist, its more on brand for me i reckon.
JFC that sounds like some grade A parenting.

JFC that sounds like some grade A parenting.
ha yeah, my dad basically wasn't parented so he had nothing positive to model. most of my early memories from people in my dad's side of the family relate to concentration camps and shit, i knew the names belsen, dachau, and auschwitz and had been shown photographs of the liberation of belsen (i'm named after someone who was present as an inmate) with the strong message that that was my heritage before the age of 5. i guess that makes the fascination with death make sense.

this is why i have little time for people whom 'oppression' is some words they didn't like. they trivialise the real deal and i've seen the intergenerational effects first hand.

I wanted to be a vet, then realized I'd never pass the more chemistry - based parts of the exam.

Then wanted to be a translator because I'm good at languages, and realized it was mostly gonna be excruciatingly boring technical shit I'd be asked to translate rather than wonderful works of literature.

Wanted to be a jockey next - can ride, love horses, love going fast on things, am ultra - competitive, got the naturally right figure. My dream job that I was actually cut out for. Only they take them early at racing school, like 15 - 16. At that age my parents insisted I pursue an academic career because I was 'gifted' and becoming a plain old jockey would be squandering my talents. And by age 17 I was on the junk and stayed that way for 5 and a half years, didn't manage to finish uni anyways, and they don't accept you after 18. 😢

Next ambition, be an archaeologist (always been fascinated by history and I want to do something physical, so I'd like to be a field archaeologist, ie the ones that do the actual excavations). This one's still standing although fuck knows when and how I'll be able to afford to take the necessary courses.
... In the meantime I'm a freelance photographer and researcher.

I was a default kid who wanted to be astronaut. Then I discovered computers and ended up being a software developer. Now I'm studying Mathematics to be a researcher in some field of pure mathematics. I'm sorta inclined to study analysis or algebra, not sure which one yet, but definitely not geometry

I wanted to be a vet, then realized I'd never pass the more chemistry - based parts of the exam.

Then wanted to be a translator because I'm good at languages, and realized it was mostly gonna be excruciatingly boring technical shit I'd be asked to translate rather than wonderful works of literature.

Wanted to be a jockey next - can ride, love horses, love going fast on things, am ultra - competitive, got the naturally right figure. My dream job that I was actually cut out for. Only they take them early at racing school, like 15 - 16. At that age my parents insisted I pursue an academic career because I was 'gifted' and becoming a plain old jockey would be squandering my talents. And by age 17 I was on the junk and stayed that way for 5 and a half years, didn't manage to finish uni anyways, and they don't accept you after 18. 😢

Next ambition, be an archaeologist (always been fascinated by history and I want to do something physical, so I'd like to be a field archaeologist, ie the ones that do the actual excavations). This one's still standing although fuck knows when and how I'll be able to afford to take the necessary courses.
... In the meantime I'm a freelance photographer and researcher.

In addition, in my childhood I had thoughts about the career of a lawyer, because I really liked watching films about lawyers who professionally and eloquently defend innocent people. On the site https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/advocacy/ I still read a lot of useful information about advocacy, new facts about this profession.

as a child I wanted to be an archaeologist and discover ancient civilizations. this did not happen.

Last edited:
Age 10 I loved math and puzzles. Age 12 they did an aptitude test and my top 3 career paths were Electrical Engineer, Civil Engineer, or Airline Pilot. I knew then I'd be an engineer.

Graduated with Mechanical Engineering degree, added an Industrial Engineering degree. Worked as a design engineer, then a project manager. Dabbled in computers and programming along the way.

Always, it was a matter of wanting to understand the rules by which things happen, then learning more about the bigger system. The coding and computers provided more personal satisfaction than the day job.

Now, I'm thinking I wanna grow up to be retired sooner rather than later.

I wanted to be an astronaut dinosaur

I guess that still holds true enough
haha, so true and fun!
In my case I loved astronomy and dinosaurs too..! don't know exactly why I loved dinosaurs so much

I thought that creating videogames would be cool, but changed my mind when I started doing another type of vices I guess

haha, so true and fun!
In my case I loved astronomy and dinosaurs too..! don't know exactly why I loved dinosaurs so much

I thought that creating videogames would be cool, but changed my mind when I started doing another type of vices I guess
3144d492cf6f063d8951a4527ad34fb7.jpg

I wanted to be a surgeon. I do not have the same ambitions, but I did wind up having some work in a medical field in a radically different way, so that's actually pretty neat.

When I was 23 I started some upgrading in college so I could get into nursing school. I got accepted. I was top of my class in the courses preceding while I worked night shift leading up to class every day. I felt so fr behind, and I felt like a failure leading up to then because some of my friends or people who were back in the day were all showing with degrees and careers began. Little did I know I was actually working a job, to a pretty good level, in the field I would eventually get an actual college certificate in and that was what I considered my career and would always take jobs in with CNC machining or at least manufacturing of any kind between until around the time I turned 30. My backup then was restaurant work. I've had many dishes / prep and a few cooking gigs.

Anyway, I felt like I'd do myself better and make my family proud if I went back onto a path to go medical. I got accepted into an RPN program. I had it all planned out so I'd be staggering program to work and placements through upgrading to RN from RPN, to a specialized RN, to a Nurse Practitioner. That was the goal. At the time I weighted out this as an option vs doing a 1 year transfer into uni for a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering and had my potential relocation set and everything for that. I went the medical route. It was more my style anyway. I was a bit worred about passing the vulnerable sector check to get through the program and accepted into jobs because I'd had some runins with police in the past. But I'd never been charged with anything my whole life (I still haven't) and I passed. I still could haha.

It wasn't something I was doing because I was truly with some burning desire to go this route though. It was more about redeeming my horrible self and making people happy about my life path who weren't very accepting of it as it was, so why should I have gone to make them proud then? I'm not about trying to live up to someone else's hopes and dreams (or whatever, something positive to say to his/her fair weathers). I was so far behind. Such a loser.

Twenty-three and working full time, living on my own, saving money, already on a good job path and going back to school, top of my class. What an idiot! I was even saving money like an imbecile and doing really, really good at that. I saved 5k in 6 months on a 13-14 dollar an hour job in 2014-2015 (I was being severely underpaid at a cheapskate company, but that same job experience made me a shoe-in to my college program later which landed me an 'entry level' at $20-21/hr in 2016-2018 depending when. I must finish the second paragraph in a row in this essay with the concluding statement that I am such a loser. And I'm gay.

I relapsed after 10 months sober, hard. I moved onto other prospects.

Anyway, life is very different now. But I am actually in some work in policy that pays in a medical field. I'm on national treatment guidelines for alcohol withdrawal and in continuing care with a lot of physicians and epidemiologists as one of the few 'lived experience' types and I can hold my own in meetings to my knowledge on grounds of medical knowledge and as a researcher in my own right as well. I have this and more than one credit or gig in other Health Canada projects. I'm literally registered with Health Canada for more than one thing!

And my Dad tells me to get a 'real job' sometimes. It's drugs.

This is funny...

When I was like 5 or 6, I wanted to be a doctor because I thought that they either never got sick or could cure themselves if they did!

When I was 10, I wanted to play for the New York Yankees.

When I was 14, I wanted to be a rock star.

Then life happened...