Which Beatmathcing Technique do you prefer?

Yes Sherbert, Pitch bending is also called riding the pitch. The controls on TTs and CD players just do it without moving the actual fader.

And to Buddah, I am not good enough yet to be able to beatmatch on the fly, so I have to beatmatch early, also, I pre-listen to make sure the tunes match and to do any necessary Eqing. I'm just not fast enough yet to do it on the fly.

i've leart to be very gentle on the platter and i can honestly say i get a smoother mix and back in time alot quicker than ive seen most people who ride the pitch taking more time to get it back and having more trouble keeping it in the right spot..

I guess i could say i half ride the pitch and half handle the platter ;)

i myself manipulate the record and change the pitch in incriments because;
1. my decks are shitty geminis with a brittle little innacurate peice of shit fucker pitch control knob
and,
2. I watch my mate pitch bend and in some points he makes a mess of things just by bein slightly careless.

i reckon doin things manually with soft hands and possibly a touch of pitch bending is the way to go =D

I can't beatmatch at all if I don't touch the platter. I guess if I'm barely learning I have to both pitch bend and manipulate it to get it right. I almost do more manipulating.

Jizmak52 said:
pitch riding bending whatever is also a good thing to get used to if youre using cd mixers i imagine right?
atri

yes. pitch bending on cd decks (especially good ones, like the pioneer cdj1000's) corrects much faster than on regular tables. there is no lag to wait for things to speed up or slow down, which does take some getting used to. I found when i first started using cd decks I could pitch bend well at all...partly cause it was so responsive, and partly cause there is absolutely no resistance on the pitch control. I wish pioneer would have set up the pitch to feel alot more like it does on a turntable, but we cant have everything we want...

Both, definately... its different every time...

Also in response to Wunderkind... try making sure you've matched the bpm's for at least 32 bars... most people I find that think they have it dead on are just not giving it enough time... if you have a solid lock for 32 or more then chances are you won't have to do much of any adjustments at all... and then you get to have the most fun actually mixing and tweaking eq's and shit!

rock_lobster "Ideally you should invest as much time as you can in mixing two tracks. Use as much as track A as possible, as opposed to swiging on a beer or trying to smoke a bowl so you've got the best advantage when it comes time for everyone to hear the mix. Use your eq's too, they're there to get you out shit "

yeah... what he said... :c)