• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discussion Why are there no treatments for cocaine and meth addiction?

I thought doctors prescribe stimulants like Ritalin to replace the say Meth/Cocaine use just like Opioid Replacement Therapy with intention to decrease Ritalin gradually over time?

From my experience, eating nutritious food and sleeping well for a few weeks is the only treatment needed for coke or meth addiction.

To quit permanently? Just like with all the other drugs, I quit when my desire to not use exceeded my desire to use.

Bupropion is a possible candidate as a replacement med for stimulant abuse with little recreational benefit.

Ah, I see now the article mentioned it at the bottom. 1 in 9 success rate with bupropion and naltrexone together.

Well, considering that the many of the drugs used to tread opiod/opiate addiction are also opiods as mentioned in another post' replacement therapy, I don't see much hope.
There would be a lot of money in making such drugs, and there is no way that the large pharmaceutical companies could resist making a shit load of money if that were possible. I cannot imagine that there haven't been hugh attempts. The treatment drugs would be big money makers and help improve the image of Big Pharma. Considering all the money spent on testing drugs on animals, and yet nothing solid. The 1 in 9 success rate of one drug combo, that was probably tested on people who wanted off to begin with is a bit discouraging. The drugs used to treat alcoholism only work on those who are trying to and want to be sober and even with a drug to treat cocaine/ crack addiction, you would probably have to have a substance that treats the psychological aspects of that addiction. So many people use drugs for opiod addiction, to not get sick. Yes I am aware that meth has physical withdraws, but it seems that crack in particular is a psychological addiction. So many opiate addicts( please no opoid versus opiate bs) are just trying to not get sick. Cocaine users and crack users really just want more. There would have to be something developed that really deals with the psychological effects. I just wonder if that would even be possible without major side effects to the brain. I admit I never studied neuroscience but, how do shut down those desires without a replacement therapy or something that wouldn't cause even more brain damage? Other than the limited uses in certain delicate, and limited surgeries, big pharmaceutical companies are not making any money from cocaine, yes I know benzo abuse is common among cocaine/ crack addicts, but the money to be made off a drug that curtains cravings would be hugh. They are trying, there is a real purpose on getting rats, chimps and probably other animals addicted to cocaine. It is more than, huh huh, let's gets these rats high. If the Bupropion and naltrexone was really effective it would be used a lot. I believe that unless there is some hugh breakthrough, Jasperkent is right.

From my experience, eating nutritious food and sleeping well for a few weeks is the only treatment needed for coke or meth addiction.

To quit permanently? Just like with all the other drugs, I quit when my desire to not use exceeded my desire to use.
I'd like to add that weight training does wonders for stim addiction. Whenever I had cravings for coke (which was extremely rare since I'm more of a downer type) I did some high intensity interval training (weight lifting, sit ups, pushups, etc. until I nearly collapsed) for 15 minutes and the rush and sudden libido I got pretty much eliminated my desire for stims. For some reason I get super horny when I do this and when I'm done with "it" I have no desire for either coke or amps anymore.

However, the idea to have some kind of substitution for stim addicts who can't or don't want to do this is a good idea. Maybe if the pharmaceutical industry put some resources into the R&D of a coke analog that has a high oral BA and long half life, they could use this to quench cocaine cravings. Basically a kind of methadone for cokeheads.
A stim addiction however isn't as perennial as an opioid addiction. I see how maintenance for dope fiends makes more sense because dope is something you'll never forget, but meth, coke and stims of all kind are eventually "forgotten" and lose their hold on you somewhat if you can manage to abstain from it for a long enough time. Opioids are completely different. They become a part of your soul and who you are.

What do you think they are doing with all those cooked up rats and chimps. Oh, that's right your nor American. There was a scandal about millions spent testing the effects of cocaine on chimps. They have been doing research. But cocaine substitute, if it could easily be done would be. There is no money to be made by pharmaceutical companies, except occasionally used in, Some delicate surgeries in a liquid solution to control bleeding. Don't quote me but maybe eye surgery? Anyways the drug Lord's and dealers only profit from coke and corrupt Law enforcement and central and south American politicians. A cure would make a fortune. Our government spends a lot of money researching stuff like that, and no real progress. I am not sure there is a replacement therapy for crack either. What the crack patch or crack gum? They would almost certainly have to target some brain neceptors or something. I am not a neuroscience geek, but it is a psychological addiction and would probably have to mess with the brain.

Crack heads, coke heads and meth addicts don't forget! You have obviously never been around a crack head. People on stimulants, who have an affinity to them, always want them and constantly relapse

Oh, that's right your nor American
Are you in a bad mood again or what's the reason for your shitty attitude dude? I forgave you once and now you're coming here again out of freaking NOWHERE and try to start shit for no reason at all! What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you stalking me or what?

You answered my answer to a question posed by neversickanymore. I didn't know you were here. I was busy fighting with the cat lovers on another thread. Then saw alert and answered you.

It is early here and passed out and replied after I just woke up. I was busy on another thread and you started talking about stimulants which I posted replies to earlier

Takes me a while to wake up and only got 2 hours of sleep and can't take meds yet. Sorry but stimulants may not be addicting to you but many have problems with them and they are worse than opiod users.

The reason for that comment was in America it was revealed that millions had been spent on research on the effects of cocaine on gorillas or chimps and was mocked here by many people. So I was saying, you probably didn't understand what I was talking about.
It was millions spent to see what it does to them, chimps or gorillas. How it effects them, some stupid wasteful spending here that became a joke for talk show hosts over here to mock. It apparently was not very scientific, just to see what effects it has on them, with no real purpose

The reason for that comment was in America it was revealed that millions had been spent on research on the effects of cocaine on gorillas or chimps and was mocked here by many people. So I was saying, you probably didn't understand what I was talking about.
It was millions spent to see what it does to them, chimps or gorillas. How it effects them, some stupid wasteful spending here that became a joke for talk show hosts over here to mock. It apparently was not very scientific, just to see what effects it has on them, with no real purpose
interested in that - any link to any articles about the millions spent on effects of cocaine on gorrilas or chimps?