• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why Christianity is a false religion

I also don't know of a case where a Jewish woman was ever considered property of her husband

Sorry. It was under Roman law, I should have been clearer. So values held under Jewish tradition became further developed under Christianity and then spread through the entire Roman Empire - at least those bits that became Christendom / The Holy Roman Empire.

You are right to point out that wife-as-property and husband/father as arbiter of life and death for his whole family and slaves was not universal. But it was the standard in Rome. And also the Muslim countries once Islam developed

Interesting. I would've thought Rome would've been pretty equal in terms of marriage rights and such. Maybe I'm thinking of Athens. I don't remember much from school

My question has always been kind of from the point of view of agreeing with believers, like so how do we rely on God? I've never gotten an answer to this. Instead you're told to believe in God but nobody ever explains how to rely on God. That's why I don't believe in God. If God were real there'd be an answer to this

This doesn't mean I don't get the idea of God as being a healthy example to follow morally. I think it's okay but it's not what my ancestors did and I'll acknowledge them before I recognize a false god

Well I wasn't talking about what I believe. I'm trying to figure out why Christians believe their way is the only way. It's not very biblical of them. They must be twisting i.e blaspheming through poor translations and misquotes of the OT; like taking the NT quotes by Paul as being true versus an allegory. Hopefully that makes sense
Ah, I've wondered this myself from time to time. Usually after encountering one of these Christians and being dumbfounded by their narrow-minded and, often, very UNchristian like ways. They sing the loudest in the choir, quote the Bible often, yet they cheat on their spouse and think gay marriage is a sin. Ugh.
(Not trying to offend anyone, I'm not saying this applies to ALL Christians)

@Gormur

I also don't know of a case where a Jewish woman was ever considered property of her husband.

If you take a look at Deuteronomy (the fifth book of the Torah) it is pretty clear that women were not treated well - according to modern standards, at least - in early Jewish communities.

Most of the questionable passages from the Old Testament are actually translations of passages from scriptures pertaining to ancient Judaism.

Christianity is a cult centered around an anthropomorphization of God. Its in the name. Its not Godism, its Christianity.

And Christ says "Ye are Gods, ye are all childen of the most high."

Christians say: No, only Christ is God, not you.

Torah be like: "God Commanded Noah to build the Ark"

Qu'ran be like: "God Commanded Noah to build the Ark"

Christians be like: *rips the Torah off the NT* "This is the important part and oh, vote Trump."

And yes, if you appoint Jesus God but withold Godhood from all others, you ARE creating an idol

This is really the only correct answer.

A religion Is a bundle of beliefs, some physical, some phlisophical, some whimsical fantasy. Any religion can contain truths in it that may be appropriate for some time in any given society.

To argue for any bundled group of beliefs defined by others is folly. To judge a singular belief or practice on it's own merits and build your own beliefs based on what works in your larger view of reality makes more sense.

How we share and discuss our beliefs or the beliefs of others is far more important than what we discuss.
This last is wisdom.

Regards
DL

The idea of religion though is a good question to ask. Like where did it come from?

Our selfish gene, that expresses our insecurity, by making us crave the fellowship of the tribe.

It is natural to be tribal and religious. All religions are are tribes.

Regards
DL

The utter pointlessness of this thread, as with many on religion, stems from trying to paint Christianity as a singular system of belief, from conflating the clergy with the laity, from not understanding the difference between doctrine and dogma, from having no sense of ecclesiastical history and how it intersects with cultural and political history, and most fundamentally from completely failing to grasp the massive change to the role of Jewish law and teaching in the understanding of who or what God was wrought by the New Testament as revealed by Jesus.

These conversations are like watching elementary school kids debating quantum mechanics and time travel after watching an epIsode of Star Trek.
Jesus, given his promised Armageddon, is hardly a good person to get morals from.

Would you go to St. Hitler, another genocidal entity, for good moral advice?

If not, why go to the genocidal Jesus/Yahweh twins as their morals would be quite evil and satanic. Right?

Regards
DL

we are all created in God’s image

Do you also have a genocidal streak the way Yahweh/Jesus/Hitler have?

Would you be able to smash the heads of babies against stones the way Yahweh ordered the Jews to do?

Regards
DL

No belief system can be disproven. :)
It can be judged for it's moral worth.

Is a belief system that preaches homophobia and misogyny, --- against the law of the land, --- the way the mainstream religions do, --- not showing their own disapproval of our secular thinking?

I see those vile people as traitors to the nation.

What do you see?

Regards
DL

Jesus is hardly homophobic or misogynistic.

Armageddon says that he is genocidal just like his twin., Yahweh.

Yahweh/Jesus, in Genesis, are clear that women are inferior to men and should be ruled over. He shall rule over you. Elsewhere women are told to shut up in church and kowtow to men.

Jesus was even in favor of denying women a divorce for any reason.

I guess that you never looked at the satanic morality Christianity follows.

Your comment held some truth, but only when I think of all those Jesus will murder. He will not care if they are male or female, child or baby. They all die.

Regards
DL

What is wrong with accepting the positive tenets of a religion.. and discarding the negatives?

Could help you in the long run, I feel..

What is wrong with accepting the positive tenets of a religion.. and discarding the negatives?

Could help you in the long run, I feel..
But that's like saying what's wrong with accepting the positive aspects of diet and exercise and ignoring the rest? Everybody knows the (purported) benefits but they don't apply to everybody and nobody has the same experience. I think it's just as wrong to force people to diet and exercise as it is to force religion on them. That's my experience though. Maybe you think it's okay

Off topic...

Force directed against the will of another person may be the only thing done wrong by all humanity. Perhaps I should say force against another living being, we have failed on every level to show respect for life outside ourselves.

I can only speak for myself but I can't remember a time where someone breaking my will was a success for them or their cause. In every case I purposed myself to repay the hurt in kind, which never helped me either but in my mind I felt they could learn from their failure to subjugate me. Which became hilarious to me when i realized i was trying to succeed at showing them their method didn't work by using their method thinking It would work for me.

I have had my most success by coming alongside others and assisting or simply avoiding. I used to reach for the bigger hammer when people seemed stuck in my path, now I treat them like a senior crossing the road, I stop, help them move along then carry on my way.