• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Interesting Words --- Triple Consonants . . . What Is The Longest Word? . . . Top 10 Words Used Least In The Bible

Nicomorphinist

Bluelighter
What is the longest word in the English language? I started wondering this when Betäubungsmittelverschreibungsverordnung came up in a conversation, and then also Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis.

How about with words with triple consonants, or vowels? The only one of which I can think is the reclaimed politically incorrect term of endearment butttheif, and buttthump is a technical term from figure skating. I have seen the word fuckknuckle spelt with three Ks consistently in some cases -- maybe it is a regional dialect thing? I think it was the number of letters which prevented me from using "DJ Fuckknuckle & The Outlaws of Word Processing & Spreadsheetery" as my screen name for this site.

I used grep on the word list on the spell checker on this computer and found strengths for the longest but I imagine there has to be another one somewhere. Butttheif was not even in the word file, or any other with a triple consonant.

One good word, especially for Scrabble players, is the word aeaeae, which is a near synonym for magic.

How about the longest hyphenated English word, and the hyphenated word with the most pieces?

From http://www.mudslide.net/TopTen/lnwdxtra.html#extra46 from the Late Night With David Letterman television programme, both lists from 1989 I believe:

Top 10 Least-used Hyphenated Words
10. Lick-proof
9. Owl-flavored
8. Hat-resistant
7. Trunk-ripened
6. Gumbel-scented
5. Post-moistened
4. Hitler-riffic
3. Casket-tested
2. Pants-happy
1. Mookie-proofed

Top 10 Words Used Least in the Bible
10. Perky
9. Fudge-a-licious
8. Rootin'-tootin'
7. Buttinsky
6. Schweppervescence
5. Mall Bunny
4. Gas-guzzling
3. Yankee Fan
2. Boinnnng!
1. Slap-happy

What about German? There is Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz; I actually have known folks in the Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft. German is full of triple consonants, like Fußballländerspiel and I have heard people make the case for quintuple-consonant words though I forget the word in question.

Swedish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Croatian, Serbian, Russian, others. A language with a high or low average word length?

I think the records for heads of state and/or have been are Prime Minister O of South Korea at some point and President Rajaonarimampianina of Madagascar, also 11 syllables, in the last few years.

Last edited:
While you're at it, what are the longest palindromes? [real words or sentences only]
While you're at it, what are the longest palindromes? [real words or sentences only]

Trade name: RotovatoR
People: Oliver P Revilo (Cartoonist)

There are a number of pieces of symmetrical aka palindromic music (note-wise -- I do not have one of those special victrolas a lot of clergy and the PMRC/Devil Worshipper experts have which can play records backwards)