• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy Amanita Mushrooms Thread

It's just a matter of heating, you don't need to know anything other than a temperature and a time.

Here we go... I ate the 20-30 freshly picked, dried and ground up Fly Agarics in one go. I can't fucking wait. If it fails for a fourth time then I suppose I am sort of immune to Muscimol lol.

They're really fucking tasty by the way. I am not big on mushrooms, but Amanita muscaria must be the most delicious fungus species I have ever sampled. No wonder they belong in the traditional cuisine of my home town (Hamburg, Germany).

Amanita muscaria must be the most delicious fungus species I have ever sampled. No wonder they belong in the traditional cuisine of my home town (Hamburg, Germany).

This is news to me. I never really fancied culinary mushrooms ...

This is news to me. I never really fancied culinary mushrooms ...
Notice how most fellow trippers mention their delicious taste in their reports, with the exception of a few. I've talked to a mushroom expert before who said it was by far his favourite mushroom, he always keeps it in the freezer soaked in some cognac throughout the entire year. My great grand parents' generation used to prepare in here in Hamburg by removing the skins and briefly bioling the caps before serving them. It appears I could skip the second step.

They are also popular in Japan, where Amanitae are still served in restaurants.

T+00:00 I drank a tea of 20-30 freshly picked, dried and ground Fly Agarics. Today is the day!

T+00:40 I started feeling nauseous and the symptom has been growing in intensity throughout the past 7 minutes. I feel like I might actually puke which is very unusual for me with drugs in general, serotonergic psychedelics have only caused emesis in a few trips out of hundreds.

T+00:50 My tongue is starting to feel a bit numb and I have a mild prickling sensation throughout my entire body, especially the hands and feet. Some acid reflux is felt upon eruction. I start to yawn and feel tired, this might be due to lack of sleep during the last few days. I wouldn't mind a pizza now, as paradox as that may sound. It's 10:20am and I haven't eaten anything other than Amanitae.

Please god for the love of drugs let this experience turn into something more than nausea.

T+00:70 Nausea subsiding, very mild vertigo and headache experienced. Starting to feel that I won't feel shit in terms of desirable effects.

T+00:80 I'm hungry. Fly Agarics will not get anyone high and you are all bold-faces liars. :D I am ordering pepperoni pizza.

T+00:90 The headache is a tad more pronounced now and centers around my right eye, The nausea is barely noticable anymore.

T+115:00 Nothing. FUCKING NOTHING!!!! Poisonous my motherfucking ass! I smoke a joint and it makes me very very dizzy. What is this?

T+120:00 Good thing the pizza just arrived. Walking around makes me nauseous as fuck. I sit back down at the pc and puke into my mouth a few seconds later. You took too much, man. Toooo much. I run to the kitchen and let the vomit run into my sink. I go back and again feel the urge to vomit. I run to the bathroom. The vomit is reg-orange and still carries some small Amanita pieces. Significantly less liquid left my GI than had previously entered. Based on the delay I suppose the active elements aren't very well-absorbed through the stomach.

T+122:00 The pizza is just right. It's gotta be my lucky day.

T+130:00 I feel a pizze in my stomach. Not intoxicated though. Nausea has mostly passed. God bless all Neapolitans.

T+152:00 I still feel slightly nauseous, dizzy and a wee bit tired. Nothing to write home about. Surely no religious experience. I feel so betrayed by mother nature. Maybe I should IV some 2C-E.

T+190:00 Time between post seems much longer than it is. If anything I might be feeling some GABAergic effects. Still dizzy.

T+195:00 God I feel drowsy. Off to bed.

T+420:00 I wake up feeling very refreshed, my mood is excellent, but I am relaxed (I'm bipolar ;) )

Given that this is currently a very weak experience, I wonder if eating a 100 fly agarics would result in a full-blown trip. I am leaning towards extracting muscimol and smoking the freebase. 100 fly agarics should really hit my sweet spot!

Last edited:
I got some from a Dutch smartshop last year and ate 8 times the recommended dose. :D

Amanita muscaria is a mushroom for masochists, in my personal opinion. It has never given me anything more than very faint mundane visions similar to diphenhydramine with eyes closed, accompanied by fatigue and sweating. I've never had any desire to push higher.

Amanita pantherina on the other hand is a beautiful experience. :D The same nausea is there at the start, but then none of the other side effects due to the lack of muscarine. The only physical thing I ever got on it was kundalini kind of shaking like on tryptamines. With a good batch I can get open eye patterning and complex visions with eyes closed along with euphoria and anti-anxiety effects from less than five grams, whereas double that of the muscaria will only give the kind of experience mentioned above.

People seem to have a lot of very mixed feelings about the muscarias as well, but I have tons of friends who use pantherinas for fun, and one who even likes them as much as psychedelics. I really don't know why anyone ever uses the red ones honestly, but if they like it then more power to them.

I am doing quite well at the moment, thank you. :) I hope you are as well.

I would love to find some locally, but I'm not sure if they grow here. I think I've seen some muscarias though.... A lot of places that stock muscarias also stock pantherinas though, you just have to look around. They seem to be stocked less frequently, frustratingly.... Next time I'd really love to make sure I get a large supply to hold on to.

Word of advice, the "powdered caps" suck! Barely any potency at all.... Getting full caps like I would want of muscarias produces powerful experiences as long as the source is good. For me, four grams in always a pretty solid trip, especially when combined with cannabis. I find the effects nearly psychedelic but just slightly different, like you can tell it's the same kind of thing going on but in a very different way. Even things like synesthesia are common for me, but usually through very different sensory modalities than serotonergics produce for me.

Natural sensitivity and chemical content seem like they can vary a lot. I probably wouldn't start over two grams, to be really safe. Though, I've noticed that people seem to think that pantherinas are more dangerous, but the scientific literature doesn't seem to suggest much different of a risk from muscarias, which seems to just be convulsions from huge doses like some psychedelics. I couldn't find anything suggesting that these kinds of doses were harmful, and a lot of people seem to use them.

Amanita muscaria's popping up all over the place where I am. They're beautiful, but I have no desire to eat them.

I always thought pantherina's were more dangerous and deadly than muscaria? Or maybe it's just that they're easier to mix up with the super deadly Amanita phalloides aka Death Cap.

Lucky you, I'd love to have that kind of scenery. :)

I would be happy to be proven wrong for the sake of expanding my knowledge, but I really cannot find any evidence that either Amanita muscaria or Amanita pantherina are particularly dangerous, despite their reputation. I can only find very scarce reports of hospitalizations that always resulted from people eating enormous amounts of them often as food, and there is a near 0% fatality rate once they're there, with no notable organ damage or anything. It would also seem that though there are minor chemical differences in each mushroom, the most significant difference is just that the muscarias contain muscimol, ibotenic acid, and muscarine, whereas the pantherinas only contain the first two, but more of them. This does technically make them more dangerous I guess because they're more potent, but, I mean, people eat like ounces of muscarias and still survive, and that's with the muscarine in there too. With the pantherinas, I think most people I know would find even ten grams to be an overwhelmingly intense experience. Some people may need more than that, but I sure wouldn't.

Yeah I can't say I know of any specific deaths or permanent damage from muscaria or pantherina. I always just assumed they would be deadly toxic if you ate enough. In any case, they both sound pretty unpleasant, doubt I'll ever try them. I must admit that I'm a *little* bit curious.

Wikipedia says there's very little muscarine in Amanita muscaria, ironically.

Yeah, that's what I've always heard, that there's very little muscarine in the muscarias. It is there though, so I mean I imagine it could be enough to cause symptoms even if the dosage range for muscimol won't contain enough muscarine to completely kill you necessarily. There are side effects that people report from the muscarias, like drooling and sweating, that I literally never hear about from pantherinas, and those things are definitely effects that could be attributed to muscarine.

Aside from the nausea at the beginning which was pretty bad for me, I actually found the pantherinas very pleasant. I definitely recommend trying it at least once, especially with cannabis. I don't think they're as great as serotonergic psychedelics personally like my friend does, but I'm at least as interested in exploring with them as I am with salvia. Particularly in that way I find them interesting because like whereas salvia I might use like a high dose dissociative, the pantherinas I treat more just like a classical psychedelic, and it's nice to have something unique and natural that fits that profile instead as well.

I personally think that most of the unpleasantness just comes from dosing too high. There's a trip report on Erowid from The Entheogen Review Collection that covers this nicely, though I agree with the Erowid staff note that the milk thistle he mentions probably had nothing to do with this; it was probably just his eight gram dose! Here's a good clip:

I recommend no more than two dried grams initially. I once foolishly ate eight grams of Japanese A. pantherina (found under aspens in September), which I boiled into a tea. I drank the tea at 4:00 pm. After two hours the effects were frighteningly strong, so I took two capsules of milk thistle (Silybum marianum) to rid the ibotenic acid from my liver. Next the power of the drug surged--possibly due to the milk thistle. ... It turned into a nightmare, as my brain throbbed, right and left. Soon I spun as one would with too much alcohol, but it then doubled, then tripled, then a million-fold. Then astronomically I spun; the room I was in no longer appeared. I clutched the only thing I could feel--a speaker. I remember holding the speaker soaring round and round through space. Recalling past LSD trips, ayahuasca, and other combinations--nothing had come near this distance from reality. Time was gone. For many hours it continued. I was convinced that I was in hell. I thought, shit! Why hell? I am not a bad person? I was convinced that I had died.

This spinning effect he describes as from alcohol is something I get even at four grams, but it's not necessarily unpleasant as it would be on alcohol unless you let it be. It doesn't inherently come with a sickness, so I just let it wash over me like visuals, and then between the spins quasi-psychedelic visuals begin to unfold as well. It is very easy to meditate into an out-of-body experience at that point as it is, but you could also push higher like this guy and go for that full ego destruction experience, but it's really not necessary if you just want to have fun with it.

Note, he also says this:

I have found through countless bioassays that both Amanita muscaria and A. pantherina are entheogenic. I've collected A. muscaria in New Mexico's Rockies and in Japan. The New Mexican variety from near Santa Fe was quite nauseating and caused me to use a box of tissues as I drooled profusely. The Japanese variety caused little drooling, and was stronger, but also had a lot of nausea. I won't do either again. The star is the A. pantherina. It is stronger, cleaner, and causes little or no nausea--perhaps due to lower concentrations of muscarine, a toxin in A. muscaria with the above-mentioned side-effects.

I've actually found people saying this all over the place now, this one seems to be very slowly bubbling to the surface. :)

Getting full caps like I would want of muscarias produces powerful experiences as long as the source is good. For me, four grams in always a pretty solid trip, especially when combined with cannabis.

Wow, those are potent. 4grams of muscaria is pleasant, but mild. Obviously these are a different beast.

Oh yes, four grams of muscarias would barely do anything to me; these are much more potent. I don't know how it would work out with other peoples' sensitivities, but I personally think that a one-to-one ratio of Amanita pantherina to Psilocybe cubensis would probably make for an extraordinarily mind-bending and visual trip without either one dominating too much, and I hope to find out one day. :)

When you guys say that 4grams causes mild effects, 8 grams intense effects, etc. Are you talking about dried caps or wet, freshly picked caps

If you mean the pantherinas, I'm talking about dried, but I wouldn't say that four grams is mild for me. It's more like four is strong, eight is extreme. I personally probably wouldn't go over six, though I have a friend who likes that dose. He is a hard head to everything though, he took several hundred micrograms of LSD for his first time and only got some psychological effects and minor visual changes, and a similar story with everything else. At the very least I wouldn't start over four until you see how it effects you first.

Four grams of dried muscarias are mild for me though, but even eight is really still not strong of those.

Also, meditating helps amazingly to enhance the effects in my experience. That's how my friend manages to get really powerful visions from lower doses as well.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. Amanitas have piqued my interest again having never tried them.

Amanita Muscaria grow everywhere around here in the fall. Maybe I can find some pantherina this year

No problem, and good luck with that! :) I really wish these mushrooms grew frequently here, they're just beautiful even when you only see the caps.

I definitely think that at least pantherinas are worth exploring, and I even know people who are resistant to the negative physical effects of muscarias who like them too, though even they say the pantherinas are more hallucinogenic. These seem to have a bad reputation just from reading around, but close inspection shows that it's pretty much the same story as with salvia.... All the people reporting horrifying trips were clearly tripping insanely, idiotically hard, and then just threw it away without even acknowledging that there could be a middle ground between sober and that. But just like with that, these mushrooms actually seem to be fairly popular to me when you find the people who take reasonable doses.