Introduction and Basic Description
Lysergic acid diethylamide, abbreviated LSD or LSD-25, also known colloquially as acid, is a semisynthetic psychedelic drug of the ergoline family, well known for its psychological effects which can include altered thinking processes, closed and open eye visuals, synaesthesia, an altered sense of time and spiritual experiences.
Timeline of Effects
The effects of LSD last for around 8 hours. This is dose-dependent, though, and higher doses can produce effects lasting for 12 hours or longer.
The effects of LSD include visual distortions. These can include objects appearing to melt or shift, breathe, turning different colours, and geometric visions or fractals. At higher doses or with closed eyes, these visual effects can be profound. However, these are not the only effects of LSD. The drug can alter your sense of identity, your way of thinking, the entire structure of your reality. Senses can blend into one another (this is known as synaesthesia)- one can "feel music" or "taste colours". Your sense of time may become altered ("time dilation")- minutes can feel like hours. It is possible for LSD to produce spiritual, seemingly mystical experiences in some people. LSD is often portrayed in popular culture as primarily producing visual effects; this is inaccurate. Acid can produce both heavenly and hellish experiences, and should be approached with caution and respect.
LSD is extremely potent. Doses are measured in micrograms (µg) or millionths of a gram. The effects of different doses are:
- 25 µg - threshold, a feeling you can't quite put your finger on. Things might seem a little more lucid to you, you just might feel slightly more energized but it is so mild that you might doubt it's anything real at all.
- 50 µg - mild, it is enough to get a feeling for it and get into a more crystallized, lucid or clear headspace. You might feel like your visual field is augmented but actual distortions are probably still quite unlikely at this dose. It is a nice way to get acquainted with LSD, that much is sure. You should not expect to be overwhelmed.
- 75 µg - light to moderate, it is all more evident at this point and there is less need to really try to pick up on the effects. Besides a big smile on your face I would not be surprised if you would get some visuals at this point and feel like you are tripping. You can do something with this trip and start exploring better. But it still does not have a very large potential to drag you along in its intensity. Expect a ++ .
- 100 µg - moderate to somewhat strong, at this dose you can really have some serious fun. Visuals should not be a big problem at this point and the trip can be quite complete and envelope you. Without effort some ego dissolution can easily become apparent. This is a proper dose that a good number of people might say is enough. Not that more is really unwanted but you should not miss out on a whole lot. It should still be possible to function at this dose but expect to be noticeably altered anyway.
- 150 µg - strong, it starts to get more serious here and you can definitely get surprised by some intensity especially on the peak. Parts of it might get you carried away but with some previous experience this should still be manageable. A very nice dose indeed, nothing pathetic about this! Distortions and morphing can be very original and stunning. This has significantly more potential for dissolution of boundaries, so be prepared to get as acid washed as the jeans you are wearing.
- 200 µg and higher - intense, fasten your seatbelt because objects melting at this point would not be uncommon at this point. From here on out shit gets deep, it really may not be easy anymore to have a purely recreational time. More ego loss and things you may have never experienced before. Just extraordinary.
LSD is not sold by weight, though, but in individual dosage units, which can vary widely in strength. Below is a graph showing approximate distribution of potency:
Method of Administration
LSD is almost always used orally. Individuals may hold blotter acid (paper impregnated with LSD) in their mouths for buccal or sublingual absorption. There is controversy over whether or not this increases the effectiveness of the dose; as long as you get it into your mouth, it should work fine.