• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ban Tobacco, Says Surgeon General

BA

Bluelight Crew
WASHINGTON - Surgeon General Richard Carmona said Tuesday that he supports the banning of tobacco products - the first time the government's top doctor and public health advocate has made such a strong statement about the historically contentious subject.

Testifying at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing on smokeless tobacco and "reduced risk'' tobacco products, Carmona was asked if he would "support the abolition of all tobacco products.''

"I would at this point, yes,'' he replied.

He declined to say whether he would support a specific law to ban tobacco - saying that "legislation is not my field'' - but did say he "would support banning or abolishing tobacco products.''

"If Congress chose to go that way, that would be up to them,'' he said. ``But I see no need for any tobacco products in society.''

Carmona's comments, made in answer to questions from Rep. Ed Whitfield, R-Ky., were received without much immediate response from the committee, but representatives from tobacco states later said they were startled.

"It just came out of the blue,'' Whitfield said after the hearing. "I've never heard anything like that from any public official - and even from the advocates against tobacco. I was pretty disappointed and surprised and quite shocked.''

Bush administration officials quickly distanced themselves from the comments, saying the statement represented Carmona's views as a doctor rather than the position of the administration.

"That is not the policy of the administration,'' said White House spokesman Scott McClellan. "The president supports efforts to crack down on youth smoking, and we can do more as a society to keep tobacco away from kids. That's our focus.''

But the comments Tuesday also reflected how far medical, and to some extent public, views about tobacco have swung. Though Carmona's comments were the most dramatic during Tuesday's hearing, those in the room - from conservative Republican lawmakers to liberal Democrats - voiced a broad consensus that tobacco is a killer.

The willingness to voice criticism of tobacco in ways that would have been considered controversial not long ago was striking, especially in light of the millions of dollars in campaign donations the tobacco industry gives to politicians, especially to President Bush and Republicans in Congress.

By MARC KAUFMAN The Washington Post
Published: Jun 4, 2003

link link

But I see no need for any tobacco products in society

Yah well its not your choice weather the whole nation is *allowed* to smoke or not. Our fucking bodies. Our fucking choice. Banning a substance is the most rediculous idea ever.

ps - im not a tobacco smoker and think it to be a very nasty habit. However, I am 100% in support of it being legal.

Last edited:
I think its a GREAT idea. For one, itll never pass.. tabacco will always be legal. 2, it might make legalization of marijuana a little easier.

Let's also ban....

alcohol

McDonalds and all fast foods

any car or vehicle that can go over 65 MPH

steak, bacon, and all fatty meats

snack foods like potato chips

hot coffee... after all, it might burn you if you spill it on yourself

anybody care to add to the list????

I think they should ban it cause it'll make more people have to go to a dealer and find out what dabberling in illegal drugs is like and probably make it easier for all illegal drugs to become legal. :\

If this does pass itll be Prohibition #2, even in how it is enforced. Cigars for the rich allowed, while cigs are illegal. Sorta like in Prohibition when politicians could drink their whiskey, but beer brewing was a no-no.

you can imagine the fun the media would have had with this if he had said that he supported banning marijuana. 8(

again, The Wood provides a voice of reason.

A ban on tobacco or alcohol will never happen again in the US, since those two industries have such immense power to 'contribute to campaigns' (known elsewhere as 'bribery').

The legalization of alcohol/tobacco in this country has always been amusing to me. It would be far more acceptable to me if either these products were illegal, or all other substances are legal. How anyone can justify discriminating between alcohol, which causes so many innocent deaths each year, and something less damaging (dare I say benefitial?) to society like marijuana, baffles me.

But, of course, it's all about the $$

do i think tobacco should be banned? ABSOLUTELY....tobacco doesnt get you high, is HIGHLY addictive, is an enormous waste of money, IS deadly to your health, there are NO upsides to smoking and 100000 downsides, it is also much worse for you than smoking marijuana (weed isnt physically addictive, it may have more tar when comparing one joint to one cigarette, but a) most people dont smoke 1-2 packs of joints a day b) tar isnt all that bad for you...its not good by any means...but its the things like lead, arsenic, nicotine and THOUSANDS of other carcenogenic substances found in tobacco that cause cancer)

do i think it will ever get banned? fuck no...the system is entirely corrupt and as long as you have fuckheads like George W. running the show with their daddy's money then it will remain corrupt forever

The problem is there are too many lawsuits over it. There are too many idiots who have been bombarded day after day, year after year, with the news that smoking is unhealthy, repugnant, and an overall waste of cash and one's life, who STILL decide to sue the tobacco companies and get both THAT cash as well as taxpayer health care.

Don't ban it, hell, don't ban most things, but make it illegal for anyone under the age of, say, 60, to bring any sort of tobacco-based lawsuit, and slap them with a frivolous lawsuit case in return.

I dont even smoke and this is bullshit. Let people decide what they want to poison thier body with. What the hell-- Hail Hitler.

Symmetrical Daze said:
It would be fine with me if they made it illegal to sell but legal to possess.
What? Same retarded idea as decrim of weed. The method of aquisition is illeagal, while possestion is legal. It makes no sense. Let people make money, and If someone started smoking after warnings were installed, well then, it's their fault.

how bout no commercial companies manufacturing billions of cigs. limit size and sale of companies. more penalties for minors caught with cigs. like corporal punishment.

AfterGlow said:
Let's also ban....

alcohol

McDonalds and all fast foods

any car or vehicle that can go over 65 MPH

steak, bacon, and all fatty meats

snack foods like potato chips

hot coffee... after all, it might burn you if you spill it on yourself

anybody care to add to the list????

Ban bacon? Thats no laughing matter, now you've taken this too far!

Early last year their was a report in the british media that at present the drug that is smuggled into britain in the greatest quantities is tobacco, just because of the amount of taxes that are on it. Their have been numerous reports of the IRA using tobacco smuggling (as well as other drugs) for funding.
Just something Ive personally found funny, and ask most people who have lived in britain, you always know someone to but tobacco from for about half the price in the shops.

Can you imagine how terrible it would be the day it got banned. All the nations smokers going through withdrawl, many people would be mighty pissy the next week or 2 (including me). This is of course assuming a "blackmarket" for cigarettes doesn't organize, which I'm sure it would.

Baron said:
The problem is there are too many lawsuits over it. There are too many idiots who have been bombarded day after day, year after year, with the news that smoking is unhealthy, repugnant, and an overall waste of cash and one's life, who STILL decide to sue the tobacco companies and get both THAT cash as well as taxpayer health care.

Don't ban it, hell, don't ban most things, but make it illegal for anyone under the age of, say, 60, to bring any sort of tobacco-based lawsuit, and slap them with a frivolous lawsuit case in return.

I agree completely. Individual liberty requires personal responsbility for one's actions. If you know it's bad for you, you can't blame it on the people who give it to you. Anyways, do you see alcoholics suing liquor stores and liquor companies? NO, because everybody knows that alcohol is bad for you. Now that everybody knows tobacco is bad for you, they can't use deception as their case.

America, the land of the free...HA. The founding fathers of this country would turn over in their graves if they ever saw our government. Though the government isnt in total control, I think eventually that the United Stats will become so restricted and laws so tight, that it will be like living in a country under a tyrant.