• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ban Tobacco, Says Surgeon General

Ludicris said:
America, the land of the free...HA. The founding fathers of this country would turn over in their graves if they ever saw our government. Though the government isnt in total control, I think eventually that the United Stats will become so restricted and laws so tight, that it will be like living in a country under a tyrant.

The nation would revolt before that. Say hello to the second amendment.

AfterGlow said:
Let's also ban....

alcohol

McDonalds and all fast foods

any car or vehicle that can go over 65 MPH

steak, bacon, and all fatty meats

snack foods like potato chips

hot coffee... after all, it might burn you if you spill it on yourself

anybody care to add to the list????

yes, but these things dont harm others, just you. what a stupid thing to say. it should be banned, smoking kills soooo many people each year, even people who dont smoke, how many people gets killed by fucking hot coffee, FUCK!!

^^^These others mentioned do also have an effect on others & not just the users. Although it may be to a varying degree there is definitely an effect from these on the general population...think about it;)

But the question I suppose is where do we draw the line...

I hate ciggs, but I believe people should be allowed to smoke them

A CONSENSUAL CRIME IS any activity—currently illegal—in which we, as adults, choose to participate that does not physically harm the person or property of a nonconsenting other.

Our governmental elders have decided, however, that some activities are just too risky, and that people who consent to take part in them should be put in jail (where, presumably, these people will be safe).

Ironically, many activities far more risky than the officially forbidden activities are not crimes. Why should cocaine be illegal and Drano not? Whether snorted, swallowed, or injected, Drano is far more harmful than cocaine. And yet Drano is available in every supermarket. Children can buy Drano. No one asks, "What are you doing with this Drano? You're not going to snort it, are you?") There is also no "Drano law" that prohibits us from ingesting Drano nor a Drano Enforcement Agency (DEA) to enforce the law. Nor is there an Omnibus Drano Act designed to reduce the international use and trafficking of Drano.

Let's assume we are our brothers' keeper—whether our brothers like it or not. Is the best way to protect a wayward brother by seizing all his property and putting him in jail? Is this helping either the "criminal" or the people who love him? Would a wife really feel more secure knowing that her husband is safe in jail and not running around with gamblers? Would a husband truly be happier living on the street, penniless, because the state accused his wife of selling marijuana and tossed her in jail after seizing the house, car, and all their joint assets?

"The United States ranks 13th
on the Human Freedom Index.
Twelve other countries are freer
than the United States."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above was found on bluelight around 2001? I saved it and I just think it fits...

CuPillar said:
yes, but these things dont harm others, just you. what a stupid thing to say. it should be banned, smoking kills soooo many people each year, even people who dont smoke, how many people gets killed by fucking hot coffee, FUCK!!

Do you have any definitive proof that being in a bar/restaurant with seperate smoking and nonsmoking sections kills?

Cuz if you look above, even LIVING with a smoker increases cancer chances 25%, and therefore, environmental smokecan be seen as having a minor effect when seen ocassionally, no more than city smog etc.

If any drug should be on the prohibited list at all, it should be tobacco. Not that i think it should be banned, but this to me demostrates a more consistant kind of thinking than the prohibition of marijuana. At least tobacco, is actually very addictive and harmful. It would sit comfortably along side heroin, meth and coke. The more people realise how harmful tobbacco is, hopefully the quicker theyll realise that legal or illegal makes no difference - its addiction and harm that matters. Or at least thats the hope.

Cimora said:
If any drug should be on the prohibited list at all, it should be tobacco. Not that i think it should be banned, but this to me demostrates a more consistant kind of thinking than the prohibition of marijuana. At least tobacco, is actually very addictive and harmful. It would sit comfortably along side heroin, meth and coke. The more people realise how harmful tobbacco is, hopefully the quicker theyll realise that legal or illegal makes no difference - its addiction and harm that matters. Or at least thats the hope.

WARNING---TANGENT

Ever seen Requiem for a Dream? Ssame idea, and a great movie.

Well, I don't smoke but I figure if tobacco is made illegal than it could be a good thing. We all know it wouldn't last but when they reinstated it, they would probably be forced to look at legalizing marijuana also. But he wasn't saying he would ban it, he was just saying he wouldn't try and stop it. That's how I feel about it.

I don't care if it's legal or illegal. But i sure wouldn't mind if it were banned in all public places. I would love to go a club/bar and not come home smelling like an ashtray. =D

CuPillar said:
I can't find the link right now, but the results of a long-term (something like 40 or 50 year) study on the effects of second-hand smoke have recently been published and it shows that the dangers of second-hand smoke that have been propagated for so long have been GROSSLY exaggerated, and that there is NO clear link between second-hand smoke and cancer. I will keep looking for that link.

Another reason this would never happen.... how much money does the government make off of tobacco taxes every year? Can anyone find a figure? I can't, I'm on my break at work.