Basic DJ Start Up Equip.

TurtleFla

Bluelighter
Here's a question for you experienced DJ's.
I'd like to get some equipment to just play at being a DJ for my house parties and stuff what would you suggest as basic needs? Nothing to elaborate, just the essentials.
I do have some cool DJing software for my 'Puter but it can't do real time effects.

check out dj-links.com
click gear
there's a lot of websites that'll sell you dj packages for good prices. (watch out for minimax/123dj)
essentials, 2 turntables and a mixer .. it'll hook up to any receiver, boom box, even your tv via rca jacks.
oh, some vinyl would be nice too, huh

You could try ebay, most of the tables I've seen there come with a mixer, and are in the $600-$800 price range.
That being said, I don't own tables but hope to, someday
smile.gif

I wouldn't suggest buying a "starter" set. Most of them, like Gemini and Numark, aren't worth the plastic their made with. If you're gonna buy a set to start with, I'd suggest the Stanton STR8-50's, defenantly the best of the belt driven tables. I think they run about $150 ea.
Jey-C

You're My Fuckin HERO!!!!!!
[This message has been edited by cyris3d (edited 15 January 2001).]

Wouldn't it be better to save up the extra money to buy gear-driven tables, rather than blow $300 on something you'll probably want to upgrade sooner or later?
From everything I've heard, it's much much easier to get started with gear-driven tables, 'cept for the price.

I'd say stay away from stantons. my friends were really bad...he returned em right away and bought techs, cause he realized the difference in quality.
I got a pair of gemini pt1000's used off of www.djcafe.com, they have a used gear section. I paid $300 for them and bought a mixer for about 100.
good luck and have fun

First of all, you need to decide how serious you are about beginning to DJ. If you feel that 3 years down the road you will still be spinning... then I suggest you invest a decent amount of money to get some quality gear. If you've never had any experience with spinning you should maybe talk to some people in your local scene and they should be able to give you some good adviice. Good luck
biggrin.gif

------------------
Journey is a party I am planning, I am requesting help from bluelighters as far as advice with sound and lighting. Please help, [email protected]
"We we we we wanna... the marijuana!

BTW, the correct term is "direct drive," not "gear-driven."
smile.gif

stay away from ANY belt driven turntables.
------------------
(¯`·._(Lane)_.·´¯)
"Music defines time." -DJ Psydel

I say just save your Money and get Two Technic 1200 MKIIs from the start. That way you will never have to upgrade! The Mixer is really up to you, what kinda DJ'ing are you talking about? Also, to start, just get some crapy Cartridges, odds are you will screw them-up sooner or later.
------------------
MY HOME
"I'm Bigger
And Bolder
And Rougher
And Tougher
In Other Words Sucker There is no other
I'm The One and Only DOMINATOR
I'm The One and Only
DOMINATOR!"

Well, if you went and bought some pretty decent turntables, then decide 6 months down the road that you want to take up, say, Medieval French Performance Art, you probably wouldn't have any trouble selling them to someone else who's getting started.

The perfect starter kit:
2 technics 1200mk3s
1 pioneer djm 600
2 orotofon pro nightclub needles
a big crown amp and some jbl fullrange and bass speakers.

yeah u know what... i got the starte pack from stanton.. with the direct drive str8 60s.. its def a decent package BUT.. after going to the record shops and using my friends techs.. NOW that I know how to determine the difference in quality.. I'm like "shit, shoulda just spent more on techs".. so if u love the music and plan to stay with it.. like the more experienced people are suggesting, I would get the best shit u can afford to .. Im gonna sell my tables in a couple months and buy techs and Im already loking to get a new mixer and I've only been doing it for like a month.. anyways.. its hard to be money conscious with this hobby cuz my moneys already dissapearing to vinyl so you are gonna spend it anyways.. goodluck

I totally agree with AcidBurn. If I could get that as my starter set, I would be a happy man.
smile.gif
(Minus the speakers.. I already have kick-ass speakers)
------------------
"Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"

What's the point of having the best equipment when you can't even work the bloody thing? Would be nice, yes, you ahve the cash? Took me a while to get my stuff together, that's for sure.

Thanx Everybody, a good response from those in the know. I'm printing out acid burns response as a shopping list.
biggrin.gif

I just got my first tables a couple weeks ago...i got 2 gemini pt-2400's and a gemini 676 mixer for 700...the 2400's arent quite as good as tech's but, they arent far from it...not bad for half the price...
------------------
PLUR!!! and remember....moderation is the key!