View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

ECSTASY BINGE KILLS BOY May 16 2003

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
ECSTASY BINGE KILLS BOY May 16 2003

Bob Dow

A TEENAGER has died after taking up to 16 ecstasy tablets, it emerged yesterday.

Alan Bonnar, 17, collapsed and died last week.

While police are waiting for the results of forensic tests, it is thought the teenager took a huge dose of the designer drug.

His death comes just three weeks after Ian Lyon, 20, died in similar circumstances.

Last night at the Bonnar family home in Aberdeen, a

woman who answered the door to our reporter, said: "All this talk about 16 ecstasy tablets is just a load of rubbish as far as we are concerned.

"We are still waiting to hear back the results of the tests."

Freight co-ordinator Ian Lyon is thought to have taken several tablets while visiting a house in Aberdeen in April 19.

He was rushed to the city's Royal Infirmary but doctors were unable to save him.

His death certificate states he died from ecstasy intoxication.

Family and friends gathered in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, last week for his funeral.

His family were too upset to talk yesterday at their home in the nearby village of Meikle Wartle.

But former teachers at Inverurie Academy paid tribute to a pupil they described as "popular".

Principal guidance teacher Graham Hepburn said: "News of Ian's death was a shock to everyone.

"He was a quiet, hardworking pupil at school and got on well with both pupils and teachers."

Another teacher said: "He was one of the nicest boys you could meet, it's an overwhelming tragedy."

The two deaths have already doubled last year's ecstasy death toll in the Grampian area.

A joint warning has been issued by Grampian Police and Aberdeen's Alcohol and Drug Action Team.

Experts ruled out fears of a rogue batch of tablets but admitted they were concerned by the binge deaths.

Dr Stuart Scott, of NHS Grampian, warned: "Ecstasy is an unpredictable drug, but young people seem to have the impression that it is safe - it can kill.

"There is no such thing as a good batch - ecstasy is not a safe drug in any circumstances."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...siteid=89488&headline=ECSTASY BINGE KILLS BOY

Freight co-ordinator Ian Lyon is thought to have taken several tablets while visiting a house in Aberdeen in April 19.

He was rushed to the city's Royal Infirmary but doctors were unable to save him.

His death certificate states he died from ecstasy intoxication.

Don't they have to do forensic tests to determine how much MDxx is in your system before they can put ecstasy intoxication as cause of death on your death certificate? The quote says he is thought to have taken several tablets. I hope they wouldn't just take somebody's word that he dropped pills and that's what killed him.

I am sure the highly-trained medical professionals involved with this case know what they are talking about when they say the cause of death was ecstacy intoxication.

I think the confusion you point out in the article is more likely to be sloppy journalism and poor choice of words than anything more sinister.

I love the extreme cynicism that is always displayed when ever any anti-drug statement is made. Its very amusing.

I am sure the highly-trained medical professionals involved with this case know what they are talking about when they say the cause of death was ecstacy intoxication.

I wouldn't be so easily convinced, mistakes do happen...

16 or 17 pills? who was he with they should have stopped him after 7 or 8 (possibly less). That the cut off for my friends(who are expereinced) i make me stop cuz i dont want this kinda thing happeneing to em. :p

You’ve got to be careful what you believe in the media. I’ve seen the anti-drug commercials and the way the news reports things. They’ll say so and so died of an ecstasy overdose, but what they don’t tell you is, so and so also had two or three other drugs in their system. The media only reports what they want you to know. I don’t think they will out and out lie, but they will leave out certain facts.

I saw a special on 20/20 about ecstasy, and they had doctors speaking about ecstasy overdoses, but when they showed the toxicology reports there were two or more drugs ingested. Media and drug propaganda! JUST SAY NO…:p

16 tabs are way too much, I’m not saying this isn’t a ecstasy overdose, but I do wonder what else he took? Also by ecstasy do they mean MDMA or MDxx + ??? +??? . The media uses the term ecstasy to describe any tablet with a cute picture on it…My, am I ever babbling... just my 2cents…. :p

LD50 for ecstasy is 6000mg or 60 good strong pills. Assuming this boy popped about a quarter of that, it is still possible that he died from ecstasy but i would bet that it was the results of polydrug use.
EDIT: I just reread the article. This whole section

"Freight co-ordinator Ian Lyon is thought to have taken several tablets while visiting a house in Aberdeen in April 19.

His death certificate states he died from ecstasy intoxication."

Is about the OTHER guy who died. There has been no definite link between ecstasy use and the death of Alan Bonner. Of course the slant on the story would love to have you believe that tho.

What it comes down to is commonsense. Taking 16 pills in a night is NOT a good idea.

"There is no such thing as a good batch - ecstasy is not a safe drug in any circumstances."

While I'd like to say something glib like "If you think that, you should check out the current white hearts and pink doves", what I will say is that the same thing can be said of alcohol and tobacco, 2 perfectly legal drugs, it all depends on what you percieve as "safe"

Dont think im stupid, just overly confident and had the tolerance to do so, I took 16 shitty beans once like this ;2,2,4,4,4 over the course of 10hours and almost had a stroke, ended in the ER with saltly water injected through my veins. I took so many cuz they tasted like weak pills ( I can tell by just the taste) and the effects were also mediocre. Regardless, being half fried with ur head stuck under an MRI machine kinda makes u beg for ur life.

PassMeTheVicks said:
. I took so many cuz they tasted like weak pills ( I can tell by just the taste)

That's gotta be the stupidest thing I heard in long time :p :p 8o

PassMeTheVicks said:
Dont think im stupid, just overly confident and had the tolerance to do so...almost had a stroke... ended in the ER

8o

Umm hello knucklehead!
Doing 16 pills and winding up in the ER IS stupid. Period.
It's people like you who give 'responsible' users a bad name.

Yes teh LD50 is 6,000mg of MDMA, or six grams.... This is strictly speaking from a toxic point... Heroins LD50 is even higher, but we all know that it only takes a few mg to kill you.. Almost all drug deaths are due to the side effects they cause, which is not included in the LD50...

Taking 16 pills is a death wish, I wouldnt be supised if it was a suicide attempt.. It sucks that this gives ecstasy a bad name.. Just one more death for antidrug conservatives to spout out.. Unfortunatly doing this would like drinking 25 shots of liqour.. Sure you may live.. But you may die... Not to be harsh or cruel, but if this guy knew what he was doing, then he got what he deserved.. It's just a shame that he was uneducated enough to make that desicsion. :(

Please enlighten all of us, and explain how the taste of a pill can tell you whether it’s weak or not. The next thing you’ll be telling us is that you can differentiate between Mdma , mda, mdea, dxm etc……Oh pleeeeeeeease…….8( 8( 8( 8( :p

So i guess with you around , no one needs a testing kit ! Boy do i feel safe ...:p

16 moderate dosage pills would be approximately 1000mg MDMA

that is a huge load to put on your liver; the cytochrome pathways can get "backed up" for lack of a better term by not only the MDMA but also the metabolites like MDA (~10%-15% of the original MDMA dose converts to MDA, MDA has an average half life of 12-18 hours, HMA and HMMA other metabolites of MDMA have longer half-lives of up to 29 hours ) slow metabolizers of MDMA would be at even greater risk as serum levels of MDMA and metabolites would remain at very high levels for longer periods of time

The pharmacodynamics of MDMA metabolism are non-linear dose dependent ---> in other words the more you take, the longer average half-life clearance time an illustrative example:

Joe takes 100mg MDMA and his half-life clearance is 8 hours
When joe takes 200mg MDMA the half-life clearance time is closer to 10 hours.

There are also other metabolites like HMA (hydroxy-methamphetamine) and HMMA (hydroxy-methoxy-methamphetamine) that have not been well researched concerning effects on humans at the doses that would result from metabolizing a 1000+mg MDMA dose.

There are cases in the literature of death from liver failure from doses of 500mg of MDMA, sometimes the liver failure results days and in one case 13 weeks after the acute MDMA toxicity episode.

LvsXtc said:
Please enlighten all of us, and explain how the taste of a pill can tell you whether it’s weak or not. The next thing you’ll be telling us is that you can differentiate between Mdma , mda, mdea, dxm etc……Oh pleeeeeeeease…….8( 8( 8( 8( :p

So i guess with you around , no one needs a testing kit ! Boy do i feel safe ...:p

actually, the bitterer, the stronger.
it's not mathematically certain, but it's true

actually, the bitterer, the stronger.

As long as the bitter substance you're tasting is MDMA...

Do the various pill adulterants taste like MDMA, at all?

It doesn't seem that implausable that one could tell the difference....

^^It certainly wouldn't be hard to "fake" the bitterness of a pill if you wanted to.

Have you ever tasted an oxycontin pill, or a Dxm pill? They too are extremely bitter, what about asprin? NEVER judge the quality of a pill through tasting methods only. 8( 8o