• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pot: Canada gives in to US demands

BlueMind

Ex-Bluelighter
The federal government has backed off plans to make pot possession a mere ticketing offence, the Star has learned.

Instead, sources say the Liberal government will keep simple possession of marijuana on the books as a criminal offence under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

The new plan came days after U.S. officials warned that any easing of Canada's marijuana laws could lead to a crackdown at border crossings.

The government will provide "alternative" civil penalties — fines, not jail — upon conviction and will leave enforcement and the collection of fines to the provinces.

Under the new scheme, a person convicted of possessing a small amount of pot would not register a criminal record, according to insiders.

The move, part of a renewed National Drug Strategy that could be tabled next week, will also include tougher measures to target illegal marijuana growing operations, including the doubling of penalties for drug trafficking, sources said.

The Liberals are also expected to direct more money towards efforts to target traffickers.

The Chrétien government triggered outrage among officials in the Bush administration with months of musing publicly about the "decriminalization" of marijuana. Within the Liberal caucus, some cabinet ministers and backbench MPs have also opposed the move.

Last week, U.S. drug czar John Walters suggested border traffic would slow to a crawl because the U.S. would increase inspections to stop smugglers from illegally shipping "poison" south.

Will Glaspy, a U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency spokesman, told The Detroit News yesterday that talk of decriminalizing pot in Canada would mean "more customs, more border patrols, more DEA. For Canada to decriminalize or legitimize marijuana means a greater availability of marijuana in Canada, which is going to cause individuals and organizations to try and smuggle the drug into the United States.''

The revised plan will allow Ottawa to remain in good stead with the international conventions it has signed on drug trafficking and signal to the United States it is not "softening" its laws, while still ushering in a new approach to enforcing prohibitions against pot.

Justice Minister Martin Cauchon, fresh from a meeting of G-8 justice ministers, refused comment on the timing and substance of the proposals.

"It will be a policy where you will find a reform of the cannabis law and at the same time the renewal of the national drug strategy," Cauchon said in an interview. "What we want to do with that new policy, is to send a better message to the population that the use of cannabis is illegal in our society, harmful to our society (and) be more effective on the enforcement side."

He acknowledged he broadly outlined where Canada wanted to go in a brief conversation with his American counterpart, U.S. Attorney-General John Ashcroft, on Monday at the G-8 justice ministers' meeting, but said Ashcroft did not voice strong opposition to him.

"We have a very good co-operation with the United States. The two countries have the very same vision, heading in the same direction as regards the fight against the use of drugs, organized crime, terrorist activities and all that."

Cauchon said Canada, like other G-8 countries with similar laws, is in the position of having "a piece of legislation which is deemed to be criminal ... that you are not able to enforce, knowing the amount of people that are using cannabis on a daily basis.

"The result of all that is that you have kids using cannabis knowing that it's criminal but we don't enforce it when you get caught with five or 10 grams, for example. So, at the end of the day, there's a high disregard for the justice system. It's not the message I want to send to our people. The message I want to send to our people is that it is illegal, harmful to our society, and therefore I want to make sure that we will develop a piece of legislation that we're going to be able to enforce."

He said two parliamentary committee reports last year — the Senate urged outright legalization while a Commons committee called for decriminalization — "send the message it's time for the government as well as for Canadian society to deal with that question."

Source: Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1052251536286&call_pageid=968332188492

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like my plans to move to canada have been cut. Thank you very much, Mr. Bush

>:-[

Roman Holiday said:
:( It looks like the Canucks really do just live in the 51st state...

There's already one of those...

Damn Canadians, I was hoping they wouldn't do that shit

i have read conflicting information.
some sources say that they are still going through with it, and this is the first source to say they are not, all within the same week?
we will just have to wait and see.

Other Source

so you tell me canada, don't wimp out!

to much editing by me

also

The government will provide "alternative" civil penalties — fines, not jail — upon conviction and will leave enforcement and the collection of fines to the provinces.

that looks like decrim to me, no jail time?
im confused ?:)

Last edited:
Is anybody actualy suprised?

It was a lot of tough talk on the part of the Canadian government, thats all. Sounded great on TV. 8(

Would have been nice though.

My respect for Canadian Politics just took a very large nose dive over a cliff.

:p :p

Somebody.........help us!

i was hopeing, tho i cant suprised.
fkn u.s, jhave to fkn preach to every nation on the planet, they are the new religion.

come and sing hymns with us, we shall start with "to america we owe". ahh, im out.

not only are we bullying other countries, but now we're bullying canada... the only country that wants to modernize and allow people the freedom they deserve. really! what business is it of ours if canada wants to loosen the leash they have around their citizens' necks. it's pot, people! how many people you know died from smoking pot? i think the senators need to smoke a few. then, maybe it'll sink in that they're wasting their time trying to stop people from smoking and should be concentrating on much more important things.

decriminalization will never happen because the US governement doesn't want it to happen. we have no say in the matter, why get your hopes up? no surprise. at least in canada the law hasn't went completely insane. it will be fun when we all have to carry our citizenship card subject to random security checks as we are all terrorists.

i'm being pessimistic, but damn the US doesn't make it easy.

wizekrak said:
I hate how my government caves in when threatened by the US

If a rogue state that happened to be the only Super Power threatened you, I think you'd buckle too! :(

Canada isn't completely backing off its quest to decriminalize yet!
NORML Check out the two stories on Canada:

Nothigns really changing...they're still going to have a few laws on their books that no one really enforces. Marijuana enforcement in Canada is already really lax in comparison.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the US and her supporters in Canada are just trying to spin this so that it doesn't make 'em look to stupid...

why can't thise rednecks south of the border mind their own fucking business

the usa seems to be the only country that is constantly dictating to soverign countries

How does an idiot like John Walters become drug cezar, anyway? Why can't we vote on it every four years?

toxikbyte said:
How does an idiot like John Walters become drug cezar, anyway? Why can't we vote on it every four years?

...drug czars are by definition idiots.

EvMan717 said:
There's already one of those...

Damn Canadians, I was hoping they wouldn't do that shit

Um...EvMan717...I can't help but ask: Please tell me the name of the 51st state? Pretty damn sure there are only 50.