European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The travel thread

eDDe9

Bluelighter
Seeing as we've got trip report threads and a Gibbering thread with people telling us about out travel plans, why not put all future stuff in this thread?

I'm trying to save at least £2k by December (once I get a job, I guess I'll work 60 hour weeks) to spend 2 months travelling around Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I will fly to Singapore first though and spend a week there before taking the sleeper train up to Thailand where I might spend a day or two.

Then when I get back my dad wants to take me to Trinidad and Tobago for a couple of weeks to watch the England vs West Indies tour out there. But I have no idea how he's going to since he's gone incommunicado and not paid the mortgage for 3 months.

Then, depending on how much money I have left, I'll work some more then go to Cuba with my girlfriend as she just turned 18 and has access to her 5k savings. There aren't any real plans for this as of yet though.

If all things go smoothly and me and my mates can get the ball rolling again, we should be going on a kayak expedition with just the 3 of us, kayaking the length of the Croatian coast (400-500 miles) in about 5 weeks as we stop off on many of its deserted islands and set up camp and just have a good sending off holiday before uni.

So.. Spade, Pinholestar and whoever else has plans, come give us some detail

Next summer,
visiting Japan.

Probably will be doing a Chemistry Masters,
3rd year in Japan- shall be amazing.

also, want to tour through Thailand, Korea, Japan, Singapore and maybe Hong Kong/China- teaching English.
after I have my MChem.

btw What course/Uni you doing?

I guess I'm a year behind you, am planning my UCAS soon.
shortlisted MChem, MPharm or Pharmacology at:
Sheffield,
UCL,
Southampton,
UofS (Sussex, it's in Brighton)
Leicester (not very good uni, but i get £1000 if i get ABB, so if i fuck up somehow and only get ABB, i might go there)
Warwick
or
London School of Pharmacy (maybe for post grad after an MChem....)

almost certianly want to do 3rd year placement in a German or Japanese Uni.
can speak fair German already,
and I want to learn Japanese
and experience Japan
and get Japanese girls
SO MUCH ^_^

Heh Japan ;)

Don't think you're behind me as I'll only be doing a BA. I do hope to do an MA in politics at Oxford or LSE though.

Will be going to Exeter to read Ancient History, got rejected by UCL and I rejected Warwick

eDDe I'd reccomend spending more than a day or two in Thailand. You'll need several days for Bangkok alone and there's plenty of other places to explore.

At first I hated Bangkok, it stinks, it's dirty, there are rats and cockroaches everywhere, it's over crowded, polluted, full of traffic, homeless familes line the street begging, everyone wants something from you and there are prositutes everywhere but after the first day when we visited some temples and monuments and I got over the tiredness / jetlag and relaxed a bit I began to like it. I soon realised all the chaos is part of what makes Bangkok so cool, you're never short of being amazed at what you're seeing. It's a bizzare place.

What I saw of Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City) and Cambodia (Siem Reap) was wicked as well. Ho Chi Minh is a cool city and with the Mehkong Delta and Cu Chi Tunnels not far away and well worth a visit it's a good place to go. Siem Reap is very laid back compared to Ho Chi Minh and Bangkok, I liked it. Very close to the main Angkor Temples as well which are out of this world and will take your breath away.

You'll have fun in SE Asia.

Anyways...
On the 25th or 26th of this month I will be flying into Italy for a month long (maybe longer but hopefully not less - depends on how long the cash lasts) backpacking trip around Europe with one mate. We're going to cram a lot in probably spending only 3/4 days in each place before heading off to the next destination. We don't have a set in stone plan but we'll be starting in Rome, there's talk of heading to Venice followed by Ljubljana Zagreb, Budapest, Bratislava, Krakow, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out we just don't have enough time for that I don't want to be rushing around all the time and constantly travelling. The worst thing about travelling is the travelling after all.

So we'll need to decide where we really want to visit. For me Berlin is a must as I want to see the remaints of the Berlin Wall, the WW2 related stuff and Haulocaust Museum and so on. Very intriguied by Budapest as well as they've a lot of communist era statues and museums and such like that look interesting. Krakow as well to visit Aushwitz as morbid as that is. :|

My mate really wants to visit France and check out Normandy, do the beach landing tours and visit battlefields etc but they're all very expensive and way out of either of our budgets. He'll no doubt have other 'must visit' places as well so we'll need to work something out while we're on the road.

I'd rather not have too much of a plan and just take it as it is and go where we feel like going when we feel like it. There's just so much to see in Europe and I want to see it all as soon as possible. :D

I still need to book my flight and get a railpass which is going to skin me for about £400 before the trips even started. It's not cheap this travelling malarky.

Hopefully going to Cuba at Christmas. My dad was talking about it when we were in Bali and the day he got home one of the first things he did was enquire about flights. :D

He says he'll pay some of it as a joint birthday / xmas gift for me and I might ask my mum if she'll do the same as there's little chance of being able to save up enough cash between now and December for a holiday. Every single penny I have is going on this Euro trip, I have no income, no job, no student loans and RBS won't give me any more cash.

When I come back from Europe I need to work out where I'm going to live and what work I'm going to look for. I can't bare to live in Dundee but I've no cash for a flat in Edinburgh either and I can't go get a job through there if I'm not living there as I'm not willing to commute every day. It's a tricky situation but if I want to go Cuba I need a job to get some cash together so I'll need to do something.

The_Idler said:
Next summer,
visiting Japan.

Sooooo envious! I'm utterly addicted to all things Japanese. One day...

Have a great time :).

Going in September, 3 months in South America.

Ecuador (including rainforest), Peru, Chile, Argentina, Chilean Patagonia.

Then across to Australia.

Then onto SE Asia for another 3 months, Thailand and islands, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia.

I am quite looking forward to it all. :)

^ "Quite looking forward" eh? You are so very British Mr. Monday :D.

I would also be rather keen, mildy diverted perhaps, if I were in your situation :).

I'd say "Have a great time," but it would be hard not to on that excursion - sounds incredible :D.

entheogenius said:
^ "Quite looking forward" eh? You are so very British Mr. Monday :D.

Qunitessentially so, Sir. ;)

I am also a counter-balance to a girlfriend who is wetting herself with excitement and counting down every day.

I'm also aware I'm instilling a lot of jealousy in my friends and acquaintances. I'd be the same. But fuck it. I'm 44. This is my trip of a lifetime.

It's not like I'm The Spade. ;)

Monday, more like Money-day.

mneh i'll do it one day.

and yerse,
Japan-
an interesting country,
one of those places that is not only completely different to "The West",
but also not a dirty corrupt dump.

Some other places, which I'd like to visit for the same reason:
Trucial States, Dubayy & Abu Zaby
Hong Kong
Singapore

StoneHappyMonday said:
It's not like I'm The Spade. ;)

You wish you were me. :p

Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest and Blue Mountains should be added to you list of places to see / visit when in Oz.

If you haven't already check my Spade Oddity 2008 thread for pics. ;)

I agree with your "a" (and wish I could do more of it) but find that schoolkids make for very unreliable crack punters - not enough pocket money ;).

I really want to travel to the Ozark National Forest in Arkansas and live in the wilderness for a few months. I made a thread about it in the american social forum and got some good advice about it. Wish i could go now, but i am gonna at least do the first year of my degree first.

What do people think about travelling alone?

Good? Bad? Meh?

Does it bother anyone?

I'm not opposed to it but the idea of heading into an unknown, foreign land seems much more daunting than going with someone else. Also like the shared experience part of it a lot.

I may be doing a bit of solo travel for a short period of time after my mate leaves Europe and just wondered people's opinions on it.

I love travelling by myself, you dont have to consult anyoen in and decisions and your basically forced to meet people.. So many random adventures have happened that prolly would not have happened if I was traveling with someone. The only time I have missed being with someone, is when I want to be in the photo, and there is no non dodgey people around to take it for me.

October I'm going to Prague to play australian rules football for scotland. Then going on a trip around the surround countries, not quite sure where, and up for suggestions. I know I have to hit up czesky krumlov, then the rough plan is Bratislava, Vienna & Budapest...

I'm doing my SE Asia trip on my own. And loads of people do, you're more likely to make friends on your own as, as deeCee said, you're forced to meet people. Always good finding out about hidden secrets etc

Wherever people choose to go take your time, stand still, get involved and don't be shy.

Get lost. :)

TheSpade said:
What do people think about travelling alone?

Good? Bad? Meh?

Does it bother anyone?

I'm not opposed to it but the idea of heading into an unknown, foreign land seems much more daunting than going with someone else. Also like the shared experience part of it a lot.

I may be doing a bit of solo travel for a short period of time after my mate leaves Europe and just wondered people's opinions on it.
i did my round the world holiday on my own. i wouldn't swap that experience for anything, but it definitely would have been more enjoyable with someone else (the right person, that is.)

it's great to share things with other people and talk about the experience years later. and having someone else around tends to motivate you into doing more.

but travelling alone allows you to be selfish. there's no pressure to do things you don't want to do.

so if you're doing a bit of both, you'll experience the pros and cons. there's nothing to worry about, you'll be free to be as selfish as you want, plus it's character building. ;)

my biggest regret is that i was too introverted to actually speak to people and make the most of it. this was in my pre-druggie days...