• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Mathematics What was your favorite math subject in school and why?

What was your favorite math subject in school and why?

• Total voters
Statistics and probability as a sub-topic had the most practical and applicable value into the real world. It allows one to value some premises more heavily than others. I have used statistics in the fields of Finance, and games like Poker and others.

I don't want to be rude.. Especially to an admin 😇 But what kind of question is that?? LOL. I look at that list and cringe at all those things. Maths was something I had to grin and bear. I was above average at it but I can't recall enjoying a single minute of it.

I guess it's like me and English. I play Scrabble, Wordle and now Quordle, and I enjoy it. I asked a guy the other night if he wanted to play Scrabble (online) and he said no, he's more of a numbers person. I certainly am not.

@Opi_Kid_Rock I did stats at uni as part of a Marketing degree. Again, it was just a chore but I did quite well. I guess I'll choose that.. The others are like a distant blur of awfulness.

I don't want to be rude.. Especially to an admin 😇 But what kind of question is that?? LOL. I look at that list and cringe at all those things. Maths was something I had to grin and bear. I was above average at it but I can't recall enjoying a single minute of it.

I guess it's like me and English. I play Scrabble, Wordle and now Quordle, and I enjoy it. I asked a guy the other night if he wanted to play Scrabble (online) and he said no, he's more of a numbers person. I certainly am not.

@Opi_Kid_Rock I did stats at uni as part of a Marketing degree. Again, it was just a chore but I did quite well. I guess I'll choose that.. The others are like a distant blur of awfulness.

So you didn't like these subjects in school, therefore my question is "cringe"? I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Logic, Number Theory, Linear and Non Linear Algebra, Calculus, etc.

Applied concepts such as topography, graphics and physics can also be interesting.

Calculus for me, I never was super strong at maths enough to get into really interesting things like topology. Calculus really clicked though.

nuclear C* algebra, because it was easy and the professor was beautiful

So you didn't like these subjects in school, therefore my question is "cringe"? I'm not sure I follow your logic.
Figure It Out What GIF by HyperX

I didn't say your *question* is cringe, I said I cringe thinking about those subjects. But then maybe you'd cringe at subjects I liked, which is fair enough.

Statistics and probability as a sub-topic had the most practical and applicable value into the real world. It allows one to value some premises more heavily than others. I have used statistics in the fields of Finance, and games like Poker and others.

I don't think we even had a focus on statistics at my school but I'd probably be in a better position in my career if I had studied that, it's pretty useful in data science.

Physics was more my forte in school. Making sense of forces you could observe just clicked with me more than the abstract stuff.

Though, trig comes up for me from time to time and I always feel like a fucken dope for not boning up on it like I always say I will...

I didn't say your *question* is cringe, I said I cringe thinking about those subjects. But then maybe you'd cringe at subjects I liked, which is fair enough.
love your avatar, film was thought provoking as well...whew weeeeeee she sure could do mathematical equations i am sure betting, i loved all things much more than math(i ruled paper mache in art class), i was in GATE english, sure wouldnt know it by my posts, but im with you there when it comes to math compared to my enjoyment of readin` and a writin`
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

love your avatar, film was thought provoking as well...whew weeeeeee she sure could do mathematical equations i am sure betting, i loved all things much more than math(i ruled paper mache in art class), i was in GATE english, sure wouldnt know it by my posts, but im with you there when it comes to math compared to my enjoyment of readin` and a writin`
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

I was inspired to relearn Chess after that (dad taught me as a kid but I've forgotten. I downloaded a few apps (one for kids hehe) and learnt some basic stuff but yes, I soon realised I probably wouldn't become a grand master. That is a numbers thing.

That GIF with the woman and maths symbols reminds me of A Beautiful Life with Russell Crowe as the schizophrenic who is a mathematical genius.

I was inspired to relearn Chess after that (dad taught me as a kid but I've forgotten. I downloaded a few apps (one for kids hehe) and learnt some basic stuff but yes, I soon realised I probably wouldn't become a grand master. That is a numbers thing.

That GIF with the woman and maths symbols reminds me of A Beautiful Life with Russell Crowe as the schizophrenic who is a mathematical genius.
love chess and really enjoyed A beautiful life

with such a mentality you definitely won't.

chess is a decisions thing, first and foremost. You decide who to sacrifice in order to reach your goals.
But it will take at least 10.000 hours of playing chess till you get a better overview over what's happening on the board and who is threatening who etc. pp

with such a mentality you definitely won't.

chess is a decisions thing, first and foremost. You decide who to sacrifice in order to reach your goals.
But it will take at least 10.000 hours of playing chess till you get a better overview over what's happening on the board and who is threatening who etc. pp

Yeah I don't have the attitude OR the skill for chess. Scrabble just comes naturally and there is an element of luck. Do you play much? Have you seen The Queen's Gambit?

I do love the symbology of chess, especially how the Queen can move all around the board while the King can only move one square at a time. I'm interested in the origins of the game.

@Ryanne Also, Good Will Hunting. I haven't seen it in ages so I might be making this up :) but the maths he was doing is a certain kind.. I can't even explain it but it's the highest level of maths. One of my dad's friends did that at university I think.

You should add Physics, or applied math as an option. ANd also allow more than one vote.

I was good at calculus, commercial calculus like differentials and integration. But I really enjoyed the Applied probability and statistics course I took.

Side note, I failed Physics II in college and had to take it again. Haha.

My dad was a physics teacher who did chemical engineering at Cambridge (was at the same college as Stephen Hawking and saw him around when he was just starting to get ill). I did alright in chemistry but physics is a subject you really need a good teacher for and I went from A's to D's because this teacher knew about my dad and was only young, so he was really paranoid. He was a crappy teacher anyway.

But a maths/physics thing that interests me is fractals. I think they relate to calculus.

You should add Physics, or applied math as an option. ANd also allow more than one vote.

I was good at calculus, commercial calculus like differentials and integration. But I really enjoyed the Applied probability and statistics course I took.

Side note, I failed Physics II in college and had to take it again. Haha.

Applied math! I think that's what I was talking about re Good Will Hunting.