• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Mathematics What was your favorite math subject in school and why?

What was your favorite math subject in school and why?

• Total voters
In the natural sciences there is obviously plenty of uses for it. PDEs are again an obvious example, but even just scientific computations more broadly use linear algebra a lot of the time
even non-scientific computations, SQL joins and some of their other operations are basically just linear algebra.

i would like to stress that i exclude tensors from my linear algebra fangirling. they are up there with equations with more than 2 integrals signs as things that are too much for my little brain to handle. tensor products are allowed though.

even non-scientific computations, SQL joins and some of their other operations are basically just linear algebra.

i would like to stress that i exclude tensors from my linear algebra fangirling. they are up there with equations with more than 2 integrals signs as things that are too much for my little brain to handle. tensor products are allowed though.
I’m not too familiar with SQL. But that’s definitely true, computation in general uses a lot of linear algebra

And yeah lol tensors were a bit too much for me to digest 😬

I was so good at algebra that my teacher suggested I be an engineer when I grow up. I appreciated the compliment but I was like Nah bro, thanks I'm good.

It pronounced “maths” you ignant ;)

Honestly don’t remember ever taking any math class beyond the standard “math” class. I barely graduated too so there’s that. I do remember my freshman math teacher hating me and he loved sending me to the principal. The day the cops called me down to the office he seemed far too happy about it.

-GC

I love trigonometry because it cames easily to me. Calculus is also an interesting subject that I like, but college gave lots of trauma of this subject (I've failed in calculus II). Statistics is also nice, I used a lot on my researches.

Honestly don’t remember ever taking any math class beyond the standard “math” class. I barely graduated too so there’s that. I do remember my freshman math teacher hating me and he loved sending me to the principal. The day the cops called me down to the office he seemed far too happy about it.
we do need to hear the rest of this story.

for research purposes.

we do need to hear the rest of this story.

for research purposes.

Oh gosh lol well it was the time I got in trouble for protecting a Mexican kid that was getting stomped by 3 or 4 softmore/junior football player (a lot more there just that many causing trouble).

They had decided to come out and ruin what had been a fun daily game at lunch between the freshman skaters and the softmore nerds. (Nerds got big dudes too that can plow you over, the skater lot was a bunch of small scrappy types.)

At first we didn’t quite know what to do.. This school was that type that put the football players on a pedestal. They could do about whatever they wanted. But I think we all snapped when we looked down to a kid gasping for air, crying, choking on his own snot. That was too much.

First one to swing was the shortest shit talking’est of the bunch, he went for this really tall guy that always gave him crap. Thinking back it was hilarious cuz he had to literally jump up to hit the guy.

I went after some guy and started laying into him best I could at that age. Things get hazy as it turns into a brawl.

Then before I know it we see the principal and police officer crossing the field towards us and we all ran like crazy.

I go to sit in class and everyone knew what had happened all kinda staring at me, I’m sitting there nervously hoping I didn’t get noticed and this will blow over. Then the dreaded phone call to the classroom. “GC the principal would like to see you.” MF smirkin about it.

From then on I swore never to fight on school grounds. Always take it off. I even had one incident where a kid came up to me, pulled my hat over my head and punched me multiple times in the face. I casually pulled my hat off, spit the blood out and told him after school. Where I then made him look like a bitch.

I was a much different person back then lol. I’d like to think I’m a bit mellowed out in my old age but that’s probably a lie.

-GC

Oh gosh lol well it was the time I got in trouble for protecting a Mexican kid that was getting stomped by 3 or 4 softmore/junior football player (a lot more there just that many causing trouble).

They had decided to come out and ruin what had been a fun daily game at lunch between the freshman skaters and the softmore nerds. (Nerds got big dudes too that can plow you over, the skater lot was a bunch of small scrappy types.)

At first we didn’t quite know what to do.. This school was that type that put the football players on a pedestal. They could do about whatever they wanted. But I think we all snapped when we looked down to a kid gasping for air, crying, choking on his own snot. That was too much.

First one to swing was the shortest shit talking’est of the bunch, he went for this really tall guy that always gave him crap. Thinking back it was hilarious cuz he had to literally jump up to hit the guy.

I went after some guy and started laying into him best I could at that age. Things get hazy as it turns into a brawl.

Then before I know it we see the principal and police officer crossing the field towards us and we all ran like crazy.

I go to sit in class and everyone knew what had happened all kinda staring at me, I’m sitting there nervously hoping I didn’t get noticed and this will blow over. Then the dreaded phone call to the classroom. “GC the principal would like to see you.” MF smirkin about it.

From then on I swore never to fight on school grounds. Always take it off. I even had one incident where a kid came up to me, pulled my hat over my head and punched me multiple times in the face. I casually pulled my hat off, spit the blood out and told him after school. Where I then made him look like a bitch.

I was a much different person back then lol. I’d like to think I’m a bit mellowed out in my old age but that’s probably a lie.

I love both geometry and algebra. These two disciplines always help me keep my brain sharp. I advise you to turn your attention to the page https://sks23cu.net where you will receive professional help in solving any question or solving any mathematical problem.

I adore Geometry

Last edited:
I never really liked math classes, which was too bad because I had aptitude for them. I just found it really boring, but then again I tended to get bored with most classes in school (and I don't mean because I found it too easy) but managed to keep going anyway. I would pick simple algebra, due to it's easy logic, and because I still use it today with a pen and paper when trying to figure out a simple calculation (e.g. calculating compound interest).

i particularly did notblike math as ive never been a proponent of nubers are everything; just seemed pointless to me (sorry math people).
but basic math pop quizes may have been my fave part of math class as it was easy and over with rather quickly.

Stochastic amd statistics. So easy compared to the rest.

I was generally not very good in math classes much to the chagrin of my mom, a math teacher. I remember struggling to memorize the multiplication table. Later, algebraic equations caused me to go into symbol shock. In college, my psych degree required one low-level course in statistics-- which I barely passed on my third try.

However, high school geometry was a breeze. I think it was because I could see the logic in it. Also, I was playing pool by then. Geometry had practical applications in something I enjoyed.

There are three kinds of people in the world:
Those who can do math and those who cannot.

Stochastic amd statistics. So easy compared to the rest.
ewwwww. school level stats is fine but it gets gnarly as soon as you try and do even basic non parametric statistics:

anything with multi-modal distributions is a pain in the arse too.

i was never good at math, statistics i had no problem with. calculus (what is called analysis over here) is rather problematic for me. didnt came very far with it at the university. algebra i found a little easier as far as i remember.

^
Same , algebra was the only subject I didnt struggle with.