• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

"Drugs are never going to lead to anything positive"

I'd shake them, but not like Bez, the guy was an artist man. His dad was a Detective Inspector too, now that's putting a finger up to your parents - "What are you going to do with your life son?" "Shake my marraccas in various states and time periods". It was all worth it though, for the pimp my ride special, his black cab scrubbed up well nice.

As regards to the original question, well I can only speak from my own experience, my friend came the closest to summing it up for me he said "It's all just escapism at the end of the day" though my other, more hedonistic friend, says "we must experience the whole range of human emotion, fantasy or otherwise" ... For me, I think of drugs as a graph, with their massive peaks but also big troughs, the average sober man on the street is a flat line - he may be content but he hasn't experienced those extremes, and may not grow because of it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger eh? Equally ignorance is bliss too. I don't think I'd go back and change a thing though.

I've no regrets about what I did, but I regret I had the time.

Me at 44. This would not have happened without drugs.

08030203.jpg

Put that in your pipe, Mr Spade :p

I'd post a "me at 45" pic only I don't want to derail the thread (& frighten small animals! =D)

Very nice pic Valkyrie

Drugs have and will continue to play a role in our society. It s human and animal instinct to alter their consciousness. This has been evident throughout history, and if you look into animals, a lot of them will intentionally seek out intoxication.

We would not live if we didn't seek to feel 'different to normal'.

Drugs can releave you from pain, or help with disabilities, or other diseases/sickness.

Any way, recreational use can be fine in circumstance's, and can teach us a lot about our selfs, our minds, our fears, dreams etc.

Tribes around today still use drugs to communicate with the spirit world. So its logical to think that early humans took drugs.

The Egyptians took drugs, the christians took/take drugs (alcohol for example) and there are countless other examples.

What ever your view point, its clear that drugs played a role in our ancestors lives.

It is natural for one to want to change their state of mind, whether the reason be pleasure and only pleasure, relaxation, enhancement of social interaction, or to learn more about ones self, see the world through a different set of eyes, explore inner space, learn, etc.

I agree with bill hicks when he mentioned a cave man trying shrooms for the first time and being amazed at what he saw. and the quote following was something like 'drugs are like an evolutionary accelerator.

Drugs can be used positively or negatively. Moderation and correct intention and sensibility are a must. But I can honestly say drugs have taught me more about my fears, my ambitions... made me question reality (what is 'real'? etc.) made me contemplate the universe and my point of existence...

And questioning what one is, and thinking about reality and the universe and experiencing and learning/growing are highly important values to hold dear in my opinion.

Yeah but Bill Hicks was influenced by Terrance McKenna who considered Mushrooms the reasons why humans evolved.There is of course no scientific basis for this:\But it does sound good though:)

Bill Hicks = Truth ;)

I just liked the hypothesis, obviously it can't be proven...

But it seems logical (to me) that hallucinogenic drugs must have played a role in early human development. To what degree, who knows?

Humans are the only animals that voluntarily consume hallucinogenic drugs (I think?) I think some scientists got monkeys to voluntarily take DMT in some study though...

Anyway, I think mushrooms, mescaline, DMT, etc. all facilitated some of our early ancestors understanding of what they believed to be the spirit world, enabling them to have contact with their 'god(s)' or whatever entities they thought they were connecting with.

How valid those experiences were (and continue to be, in some tribes still around today) is questionable obviously. But it's clear the 'shaman' was/is held in high regard by the other people in the tribe. So the influence drugs have had seems self evident in my opinion.

As Salvador Dali said "I don't do drugs, I am drugs" :)

Humans are the only animals that voluntarily consume hallucinogenic drugs (I think?)

Large cats (jaguars) have been seen to ingest pieces of B. caapi and go into a trance like state and from personal experience, I used to have to hide skunk from one of my cats as if he found it, he'd be into it and chew it up (smoking bit's of weed covered in dried cat saliva may sound exotic, but it's not!)

Don't some deer and ravens seek out amanitas? I've heard of wolves returning to locations to indulge in mushrooms also.

This is all purely anectodal, however.

There was a program called Weird Nature which had all sorts of animals indulging in a variety of chemicals.

Hedgehogs spazzing out on chewed cigarettes was pretty interesting to watch :D

Also had the Jaguars and Raindeers indulging in psyches, and monkeys getting pissed :D

^ lol! so humans arn't the only ones who like abit of a sesh then =D

How could i forget. Catnip, deers eating those shrooms that SOME people then get high by drinking their piss! monkeys stealing peoples alcohol on the beach etc...

So it's Natural :p animal instinct!

And no one can convince me otherwise ;)

Apparently elephants can smell and seek out ethanol from fermenting fruit from miles away to get drunk.

And drink neat ethanol if provided, when they lose a mate/ offspring I read. 8o

Yeah, elephants have a very human reaction towards loss of family/companions - they get really freaked out if they encounter remains of dead elephants. Proof in my opinion that humans are not that special as the likes of the christian church would have us believe

Well 'morals' are derived from altruistic behaviour and altruism is hard wired into behaviour genetically as co-operative behaviour makes it more likely for both recipient & initiator of such behaviour to reproduce, therefore propagating their genes (Richard Dawkins explains it far better in 'The Selfish Gene'). As such, by default, what we recognize as morals are going to be hard wired into any creatures with structures in the brain that are responsible for emotions, which is basically all mammals as emotions developed as a more efficient way of using memory (consider that the most vivid memories are almost always those associated with an accompanying strong emotional response) and are an essential element of all higher functioning animals.

Maybe it's just me, but the above reasoning seems so obvious about such things. The only difference between us and other mammals is the development of an abstract language which has additionally developed a symbolic form of representation (ie writing). Other than that, we're not that different from great apes or members of the dolphin/whale family

Oh and yes, there are some very cute photos in that article, especially those of the wolf cubs & the mice :D

Last edited:
But it seems logical (to me) that hallucinogenic drugs must have played a role in early human development. To what degree, who knows?

I've always thought the theory of evolution is all about the physical, adapting to the environment etc, and that mind altering drugs, from plants or synthesised maybe are part of the environment thats a factor in the evolution of the human intellect. Ancient ayahuasca ceremonies is one thing, but isn't it strange that the fundamental nature of matter and our neurochemistry has always meant MDMA could exist.