European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Recruitment EADD Needs YOU....!!! Another mod to join the ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, if anyone wants a good incentive to apply, if there aren't enough applications by the closing date I'm going to apply myself. So think about it yeah? ;)
Aye, somebody hurry up and apply or Josh'll get it by default. ;)

We could always blow up Shambles's Windows 3.0 computer and stop him complaining by simultaneously posting Alanis Morissette youtube videos.

Though, real problem I think with them vids is they are a bit data consuming for mobile phone users who are on a tight bandwidth budget.

You'll kill my computer too if you post Alanis Morresette vids!

That's just cold man! Anyway, Don't blow his pc up, soon that will be my only PC! It may be a shambles just like the man himself, but a Shambles is never a bad thing! <3

My laptop is by no means ancient. It's got 8gb RAM, nice graphics card etc. However, the video embeds make it lag a wee bit when a few have been posted on one thread. It's maybe down to a crap processor speed.

The position of moderator is does not look very attractive. The very thread for recruitment is a massive disincentive with the bickering contained in here alone. I thought we might have been entering into a new golden age of peace and prosperity, but the gaps always seemed to be filled (ha!).

In the grand scheme of things, you having to click on a link before a video plays is doing less harm to you than having a proprietary, resource-hogging extension slow someone else's computer down to a crawl and possibly lose unsaved work is going to do to them. The needs of the few outweigh the whims and caprices of the many.

Or maybe you think the "no piddling" signs around the reservoir that supplies your drinking water are an intrusion into your civil liberties?

this is why i regularly embed giant 2 hour long animated gifs the same colour as the background in my posts.

perhaps there could be a user preferences setting that turns embedded videos into links for those who don't like them...

perhaps there could be a user preferences setting that turns embedded videos into links for those who don't like them...
Add that to the list of modifications to be done when you set up your own alternative-to-Bluelight forum. It's all written in PHP, so not hard to modify; and if you submit it upstream and get accepted, then you're famous!

For my part, having hardware at both ends of the spectrum, I am quite happy with the idea of one extra click to play a video clip.

yeah I know it's written in php and not hard to modify, which is why I suggested it as it's only a minority of people who don't like the video embed tags and an even smaller minority of people who had a habit of posting a dozen embeds in a single post.

even then, people can quite easily adjust their settings so flash will only load the content after telling it to.

why bother enabling the tag if you don't want people to use it?

edit> who am I kidding, BL admins can't even be arsed buying an ssl certificate for the site letalone doing anything not out of the box with vbulletin.

mods have a way of stopping poster putting up videos as i cant embed any because some kind of block they have put on me

Censorious fascist bastards, preventing us from seeing teenage ghoul-fodder and Charlie Manson wank-vids. Shame on you.

mods have a way of stopping poster putting up videos as i cant embed any because some kind of block they have put on me

That's because your doctor gave them a sick note saying you have obsessive youtube link posting disorder and not to infract you any more.

Anyway, Don't blow his pc up, soon that will be my only PC! It may be a shambles just like the man himself, but a Shambles is never a bad thing!

you can make a porch out of the box it came in.

Last edited:
Never heard of a sick note genuinely preventing mod intervention. The only sick note I heard of round here apparantly just said, mysteriously "F69; F44.81" :sus:

Don't think it's been acted on.

In the grand scheme of things, you having to click on a link before a video plays is doing less harm to you than having a proprietary, resource-hogging extension slow someone else's computer down to a crawl and possibly lose unsaved work is going to do to them. The needs of the few outweigh the whims and caprices of the many.

Or maybe you think the "no piddling" signs around the reservoir that supplies your drinking water are an intrusion into your civil liberties?

How is it any different than a JPEG with the link attached?

I would have thought those still running commodore 64's would be the minority

who am I kidding, BL admins can't even be arsed buying an ssl certificate for the site letalone doing anything not out of the box with vbulletin.
that's actually incorrect.

the site engineer already has the certificate but there's a concern that, even after the most recent server upgrade, we're going to suffer a performance hit resulting in a poor user experience by enabling https site-wide. the issue is currently under consideration.

and, for what it's worth, we've installed a number of vbulletin hacks and plug-ins along the way. the fact that you can't necessarily see them doesn't mean they're not there...

but don't let facts get in the way of your criticism :)

alasdair

Last edited:

I think embed is off again at the moment? It wouldn't let me the other day when I tried. Possibly because mobile browser though.

Status
Not open for further replies.