• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Linux, BSD, Qubes; and Other Alternative Systems - What Distro Is on Your Windows?

Joey

Bluelighter
Currently I'm using Parrot Security, and I'm generally having a good experience mucking about with different hacking tools and whatever looks cool in my Synaptic Package Manager. I tend to switch back and forth between Ubuntu and trying out a new distro. For anyone else who's into cybersecurity, hacking, "pentesting", whatever you want to call it. Coding on a network. Check out Demon OS.

This runs on VM only. That's the suggestion anyway, and I actually wasn't able to install it onto my hardware so if you try it, use Virtualbox. Demon OS has a really, really cool App Store with all kinds of good tooling, full description included for you paranoid androids. I know Bluelight has a strong subset of computer geeks, so this thread should be interesting.

What's your flavor?

I like fucking around with Parrot Sec sometimes. I also like dual booting Windows and Hackintoshed OS X on my PC.

The newest version of Parrot is poo

DNS problems and not being able to connect when anonsurf is not active.. I believe it was resolv.conf not found

Downloaded torrents have no sound

And now since it's Debian stable you get a bunch of old software sometimes multiple versions old

The devs ruined an awesome OS

I was in such a hurry to erase Microsoft that I didn't bother checking things out before installing fml

i'm a pleb so use ubuntu.

do any other linux distros play better with nvidia? i'd be up for trying if so.

especially given i realistically need to reinstall my operating system at some point cos i still don't understand how my computer even boots into ubuntu after i randomly deleted bits of the kernel in a particularly severe nvidia/linux related rage.

i don't use windows at all and haven't for maybe 15 years, no intention of going back, even if you get a bash terminal now so don't need to use putty for ssh.

The idea of a Virtual Machine (VM assuming a windows orientated one) on paper solves most problem's I stembled upon using Ubuntu. But not all. It still can't find a mem-stick as example.

But I am all in for Linux distro's and using Ubuntu myself. No viruses, add-ware or mal-ware, ever.

For independence some more insight on how to get things running like iTunes would be necessary. But as of now I lack these skill's.

I harbor a small zoo of more or less acient distributions. 👾 Except for my main machine and a notebook, which have a dual boot setup, it's all Linux/Unix based, but there are other people who use Windows in my network. I have a boatlaod of mostly old nettop and NAS machines which run Debian and variations of Ubuntu depending on the hardware, so either Unity (now), but mostly Xfce, some LXQt desktops. I only go for LTS versions. Way back then I used SuSE, ..doesn't even know if this stuff still exists. :unsure:

But that's all really for basic stuff, user/network management, file services, webserver, database, backup solutions etc. I technically wouldn't even need a desktop most of the time, it's mostly SSH or web interfaces anyway. Still have a historic IPCop 👮‍♂️ distribution for a subnetwork (but which did duty as my main router back in the day); ..this thing just won't give up, and is totally obsolete since I run a managed switch I could configure VLANs with (which I presumably won't, cause I'm a lazy piece of shit).

Also have a whole bunch of VMs, with all sorts of Windows' (which I mostly use for sketchy stuff so I don't fuck up my main installation so quickly, and then revert to a previous snapshot), some other Linux (Mint, CentOS) mainly for test purposes. But I don't really play around with these things anymore, ..the days getting shorter and shorter the older I get, priorities change! 🤨 It was a total mess for a long time with me (despite knowing better), but after some minor meltdown 🤯, I took the time to set up a decent infrastructure which doesn't need much maintenance now, so I'm happy with that.

The idea of a Virtual Machine (VM assuming a windows orientated one) on paper solves most problem's I stembled upon using Ubuntu. But not all. It still can't find a mem-stick as example.
is there no way to mount external volumes to VMs? i know you can do it in docker containers, would be odd if you can't in VMs. can probably make it automatically do it too if you can set the fstab though for something you're likely to remove, i.e. your example of a memory stick, i guess that's not the best way

especially given i realistically need to reinstall my operating system at some point cos i still don't understand how my computer even boots into ubuntu after i randomly deleted bits of the kernel in a particularly severe nvidia/linux related rage.

i don't use windows at all and haven't for maybe 15 years, no intention of going back, even if you get a bash terminal now so don't need to use putty for ssh.
Search for your software and updates application and go to drivers. You can switch to alternate nvidia driver there. Here's a link describing that and a command line installation that should help,

Search for your software and updates application and go to drivers. You can switch to alternate nvidia driver there. Here's a link describing that and a command line installation that should help,

thanks. i have set it through there and it still fucks up. its just sometimes when it updates, it loses the driver so i have to boot from usb and fix it and i have no idea what i'm doing and am fundamentally not interested in the minutiae of linux/drivers/nvidia and i have too much work to do without losing time cos nvidias linux support is shit.

i'll add the link to my document of helpers for when this happens!!

thinks have improved in that at some point it was booting from some backup boot partition, or would only boot through the GRUB menu and now its not, i did nothing to achieve this but i feel a bit less like my machine might turn into a brick at any moment now!!

@Mr. Krinkle

vh72THQ.png

:)

I'm using Garuda Linux which is based on Arch, currently only in WSL but it runs there better than in an emulator, including graphics,

I don't see a password manager
am i the only one that thninks giving the passwords to our entire lives to companies we don't know about, and not even knowing the passwords ourselves, might be a bad idea?

all my nerd friends use them but i don't trust them.

eta: i get that the companies don't have the passwords themselves, and ideally even encrypted versions never even leave the device. but it still freaks me out.

Have you tried linux mint? It comes with more drivers and codecs and other annoying stuff that ubuntu doesn't have. Best out of the box support for pretty much everything, compatible with all ubuntu bins.

Have you tried linux mint? It comes with more drivers and codecs and other annoying stuff that ubuntu doesn't have. Best out of the box support for pretty much everything, compatible with all ubuntu bins.
i have not. compatible with ubuntu bins is actually really useful.

bioinformaticians who only learned to code to do biology are some of the most egregiously awful programmers ever. so a lot of my software i've had to tinker with makefiles, edit code, whatever, if i can just run the executables that makes OS reinstallation much less daunting than the prospect of doing that all again.....

am i the only one that thninks giving the passwords to our entire lives to companies we don't know about, and not even knowing the passwords ourselves, might be a bad idea?

all my nerd friends use them but i don't trust them.

eta: i get that the companies don't have the passwords themselves, and ideally even encrypted versions never even leave the device. but it still freaks me out.
Valid point, kind of like having to trust that VPN providers won't log your data or snoop on your traffic.

That said, passwords that you remember can easily get brute forced