• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Linux, BSD, Qubes; and Other Alternative Systems - What Distro Is on Your Windows?

am i the only one that thninks giving the passwords to our entire lives to companies we don't know about, and not even knowing the passwords ourselves, might be a bad idea?
Ha! You're not.

And to answer the original question:
No distro on my windows. Because no (ms-)windows at all.
I run Oracle Linux 7 because I need Oracle XE 18 for my job and a solution with centos VM on ubuntu ended in disaster.
I also use LaTex to write page-long notes because I hate word and derivates. they never understand how i want something to look.
And no, I'm no geek or nerd and though I work for an IT company PHP and SQL is as far as I get.
But I like the simple things.

But good to know where to ask if I need someone to explain things like "what's a kernel"
:p

Last edited:
I know you've tried to help me with this before, which I appreciate. As you can see I've made little progress. =D
no worries man, big learning curve on linux
So

/boot has no file system (table?) name... due to the fact it preceeds it? It allocates and regulates it maybe and also hence, it is root, or system level privs? All boot certificates, providing/allocating/checking resources to windows in order to load?

/boot is its own partition on the disk (typically). the bootloader uses the files there. it's privileged as it controls the kernel loading.

And the kernel is a program? How? Does it have a .exe or other executable file? Or is it the boot allocating a bunch of stuff? Is it a linux program?

it's not a linux program, it's a compressed image that the bootloader (e.g. GRUB) initializes. the kernel then decompresses itself and continues the process.

Is the kernel, hardware (just saw you said yes, im genuinely thinking out loud here trying to figure this out). Is it wlan wide? Connected to your network? What's kernel panic? I noticed even old phones in my house are on the same linux kernel as new and have gradually upgraded. Is my PC on the same linux kernel How to check?

no, it's not connected. uname -v will print the kernel version. kernel panic is usually caused by a driver cockup. panic is how it bails out when there's a fatal error and execution can't continue. when it happens in userland it's no big deal because it's just the application that crashes, not the OS.

Also, things get a bit matrixy when it comes to virtual machines for me. I start wondering if I'm in god knows how many layers of virtual machines and how would I ever know? Whats the sysfs for checking?

Is the virtual machine kernel the reason Ive seen a lot to do with "enumeration" on my pc? Is it enumerating devices to build the kernel via the hypervisor; into a sort of virtual, proxy, kernel? AMD 3700x, W10 btw.

I actually have a secure boot file, in UEFI, which is untrusted. Problem there or not?

Thanks man.

the extra enumeration is the virtual hardware that the virtual machine uses instead of directly accessing the real hardware. you should be able to find some devices in device manager described as "virtual" something or other next to the real hardware devices.

what's untrusted, the UEFI or the secure boot file? if it's the latter, it probably just means you initialized the keys yourself so they're being labeled as untrusted because you're not someone the vendor has certified. UEFI/BIOS stuff is always confusing because different vendors use different descriptions for their own implementations of common concepts.

GNU are all noobs.

Linux is just clever shit like that.

why'd Linux when it has "alternative" drivers for your hardware. Computers were made for Windows not Linux, I think when Torvalds because I even googled now who tf made the foundation they thought that their might do something better than Windows, and yes you can use better because that's why it was made, Torvals admited it was for competition and then saw Steve Jobs putting a endwall to his career by hiring people who created "Mac OS" and yes, if you wanna ask "Would you use MAC OS" i'd nod but in what circumstances? nowadays I think mac os is designed for anything in computing all way from games to rendering softwares/graphic intense hours. Most people have generic hardware with ethernet/audio from Realtek, on Linux this is limited to say ALC662/663 FR8XXXX/X you know, I actually spoke to someone a while back from a PC store fix and he said he had a client with linux and while there's no word on street about that from them, Niculai, the who was at shop, kinda like small shop 10 people at max from what I know, tried to install his drivers and couldn't, installed Windows 7 on a virtual machine and bum all drivers work.

AMD is non-existent on Linux unless you have RX 6600 series and who the fuck spends a Ford Falcon for a GPU when China/Germany declared financial crisis? nvidia has his own come and go, quadro work on linux with some research, even a rtx might but depends. Point being, Windows is what millions will continue to use, who the fuck complains about windows 10 update should go back to 7. This continuation of Vista, is a blacksmith anti-rust sword for other blacksmithers, and with a stable protection utility such as Kaspersky, yes they don't care about you -- you can install it, no xeno even at some extent own Firewall of windows if you know how to configure it, and Defender on 7 recieved last update on 2018 in June so in two words, is more substantial to be hit by a car than "Y" getting a virus.

I use Kaspersky from years of subscription to Panda, and I bought a license for 1 computer for 3 years for 20Euro, and speakin I just did a research is on a bread sale

UNEO43r.jpg

Also check out "Internet Security", which is even cheaper.

why'd Linux when it has "alternative" drivers for your hardware. Computers were made for Windows not Linux, I think when Torvalds because I even googled now who tf made the foundation they thought that their might do something better than Windows, and yes you can use better because that's why it was made, Torvals admited it was for competition and then saw Steve Jobs putting a endwall to his career by hiring people who created "Mac OS" and yes, if you wanna ask "Would you use MAC OS" i'd nod but in what circumstances? nowadays I think mac os is designed for anything in computing all way from games to rendering softwares/graphic intense hours. Most people have generic hardware with ethernet/audio from Realtek, on Linux this is limited to say ALC662/663 FR8XXXX/X you know, I actually spoke to someone a while back from a PC store fix and he said he had a client with linux and while there's no word on street about that from them, Niculai, the who was at shop, kinda like small shop 10 people at max from what I know, tried to install his drivers and couldn't, installed Windows 7 on a virtual machine and bum all drivers work.

AMD is non-existent on Linux unless you have RX 6600 series and who the fuck spends a Ford Falcon for a GPU when China/Germany declared financial crisis? nvidia has his own come and go, quadro work on linux with some research, even a rtx might but depends. Point being, Windows is what millions will continue to use, who the fuck complains about windows 10 update should go back to 7. This continuation of Vista, is a blacksmith anti-rust sword for other blacksmithers, and with a stable protection utility such as Kaspersky, yes they don't care about you -- you can install it, no xeno even at some extent own Firewall of windows if you know how to configure it, and Defender on 7 recieved last update on 2018 in June so in two words, is more substantial to be hit by a car than "Y" getting a virus.

I use Kaspersky from years of subscription to Panda, and I bought a license for 1 computer for 3 years for 20Euro, and speakin I just did a research is on a bread sale

UNEO43r.jpg

Also check out "Internet Security", which is even cheaper.

I really want a good w10 firewall, preferably with some documentation. Glasswire is great, but $99? Tinywall works but hasnt been updated.

I figure I'm going to have to use my rpi3 or something.

I have absolutely rock solid top notch performance running Win 11 22H2. Running Linux is fine but finicky. Linux is just repackaged UNIX. I have used Unix and other OS's (Sparc Solaris, Dec RSX-11 and VMS) professionally in both Dev and Production environments and actually prefer Win 11 for my daily driver.

YMMV

I have absolutely rock solid top notch performance running Win 11 22H2. Running Linux is fine but finicky. Linux is just repackaged UNIX. I have used Unix and other OS's (Sparc Solaris, Dec RSX-11 and VMS) professionally in both Dev and Production environments and actually prefer Win 11 for my daily driver.

YMMV

I do like the fact the settings are supposedly in one place.

I do like the fact the settings are supposedly in one place.

Yeah it's a newbies delight in that respect.

When developing complex software that easily puts an OS into an unstable condition I prefer to "KISS" on as much as I can get away without with affecting my stability. I want to know when it's me fucking up, not my OS, but I don't want to micro manage it.

It's also the "target" for my Dev work, so why not keep it native, right?

no worries man, big learning curve on linux

/boot is its own partition on the disk (typically). the bootloader uses the files there. it's privileged as it controls the kernel loading.

it's not a linux program, it's a compressed image that the bootloader (e.g. GRUB) initializes. the kernel then decompresses itself and continues the process.

no, it's not connected. uname -v will print the kernel version. kernel panic is usually caused by a driver cockup. panic is how it bails out when there's a fatal error and execution can't continue. when it happens in userland it's no big deal because it's just the application that crashes, not the OS.

the extra enumeration is the virtual hardware that the virtual machine uses instead of directly accessing the real hardware. you should be able to find some devices in device manager described as "virtual" something or other next to the real hardware devices.

what's untrusted, the UEFI or the secure boot file? if it's the latter, it probably just means you initialized the keys yourself so they're being labeled as untrusted because you're not someone the vendor has certified. UEFI/BIOS stuff is always confusing because different vendors use different descriptions for their own implementations of common concepts.

thank you.

I'll look at whats untrusted when I get to the pc. Is it odd that I ran chkdsk and my phone which was right next to my pc, immediately went into a bootloop. my phone would only load the wallpaper and power button gave me "start, restart, or lockdown". Something about an unverified bitmap was in the w10 eventlog. I'll post it up. Recovered phone with recovery.

It happened literally as chkdsk started (which finished early). Someboby on reddit told me the reason my phone can connect to my pc even though I can have no MB recievers (on paper; b450 tomahawk) is because the phone texts it on boot or something. My 5g mouse is also recieving, I learned.

Hence it seeming odd.

I've got a Chinese OnePlus 6 see, from hong kong before the riots. I really do not trust it.

@Tranced

maybe is like you say and nothing to read between lines, you're traced. A tranced traced, oh cercle goes on and on. Run chkdsk command in cmd/powershell and sends your phone somehow a NTFS operating virtual machine like? is all there you gotta see it, Throw that fuckin thing outside and buy a random nokia/samsung.

yay

ty edward snowden saye snowden bc X B = Z

@Tranced

maybe is like you say and nothing to read between lines, you're traced. A tranced traced, oh cercle goes on and on. Run chkdsk command in cmd/powershell and sends your phone somehow a NTFS operating virtual machine like? is all there you gotta see it, Throw that fuckin thing outside and buy a random nokia/samsung.

yay

ty edward snowden saye snowden bc X B = Z

I've got absolutely no idea quite what you're talking about, or if it makes sense, or if you're being serious, but i wish I knew. What is traced? x

suddenly i'm reminded that Win 11 encourages you to link your phone with your PC as part of the setup flow.

also, what exactly do you mean a Chinese OnePlus? you mean like Chinese as in all-our-shit-comes-from-China-now-haha or more like it was a phone intended for the China market and you somehow acquired it?

if it's the latter then it is quite likely there really is spyware on your phone.

I really want a good w10 firewall, preferably with some documentation. Glasswire is great, but $99? Tinywall works but hasnt been updated.

I figure I'm going to have to use my rpi3 or something.
windows 10 firewall is pretty good and enough for the majority of users. learn how to use it plus there are software interfaces that improve it and other apps that improve it, for example I use a script that automatically blocks from connecting all the files (exe, dll, etc) in a specific folder.
I install a program I want to prevent from connecting or receiving connections, place the script in its folders run it and it's all blocked!

Still windows 7 Pro, no av/am and locked down as much as possible.
Wont change.
Done with tech wanna throw it all off the balcony but then where would BL be...?
:oops: