skydancer

Bluelight Crew
Backing President Bush, the House of Representatives last Thursday
narrowly defeated Democrats' efforts to boost funds to fight the
global AIDS epidemic by shifting money away from anti-drug efforts
in Colombia. The House voted 226-195 against redirecting $75 million
from the U.S. led war on drugs in Colombia, funds mostly used for
the destructive aerial fumigation of coca crops that are used to make
cocaine, to global health. For more info about this vote, click here: http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/07_24_03colombia.cfm

Now that the vote has taken place, it's important to thank your
Representative if they supported the McGovern amendment to cut aid
to Colombia or let your Representative know that you are disappointed
for opposing it. Lobby your congressperson to stop U.S. funding of
the destructive Colombian drug war.

For tips on how to develop a productive, long-term relationship with
your elected officials and their staff in order to change their
position on the drug war in Colombia, click here: http://www.drugpolicy.org/join/involved/hill/

1) Find out how your Representative voted.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/docUploads/Colombia2003.pdf
If you don't know who your representative is, click here: http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/action/

2) Call your Representative.

To reach your Representative by phone, call the US Capitol Switchboard
at 800-839-5276, or call your Representative's office directly by
looking up their contact info:
http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/ctt.asp?u=409157&l=3166

You can leave a message for the Representative with the front desk.
Make sure that in addition to your message your address is given so
that they can write back if they are inclined.

If your Representative voted yes...

Thank him/her for supporting the end to the destructive drug war in
Colombia by voting for the McGovern Amendment to the 2004 Foreign
Operations bill that would have reduce military aid to Colombia.
Encourage him or her to co-sponsor legislation that would put an end
to the Colombian drug war.

If your Representative voted no...

Tell him/her that you are very disappointed that he or she opposed the
McGovern Amendment to the 2004 Foreign Operations bill that would have
reduced military aid to Colombia, but that you hope he or she will co-
sponsor a bill in the future to stop the pointless Colombian drug war.

3) Write a letter/postcard

Writing a letter shows a congressperson how important you find the
issue and provides written documentation of constituent feedback.
When they receive your letter, it's very likely that they will respond
to it with a letter of their own. Just a few lines will do. You can
even put it on a postcard. Make sure that you include your own address.
That way they can write you back. When they do respond, let us know
what they said by contacting us at [email protected] or
fax it to us at 202/216-0803, attn: Bill Piper.

Basic Format

Here's the basic form letter with three major bullet points. Most
importantly, Representatives like to know why you are writing, what you
would like them to do in the future and what your address is. It is
always most effective to write in your own words.

Addressing the letter:

The Honorable (full name)
House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Rep. _______________,
  • WHY YOU ARE WRITING - I would like to thank you for (or) I am
    disappointed in your vote on House Roll Call Vote 426, the amendment
    that would increase by $75 million funding for HIV/AIDS programs by
    reducing funding for the Colombian drug war.
  • Optional WHY - the Colombian drug war is very destructive to the
    people of Colombia.
  • Optional WHY - the Colombian drug war focuses on supply and not
    demand reduction at home.
  • WHAT TO DO NOW - Please sponsor or co-sponsor future legislation to
    de-fund or halt the Colombian drug war.
  • CLOSE - Thank you for taking an affirmative stance on the Colombian
    drug war (or) I urge you to reconsider your stance on the Colombian
    drug war.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

Sample Letter for Yes Voters
Although we urge being concise and to-the-point (4 sentences), you may
find a longer letter such as the one below helpful.

Addressing the letter:

House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Rep. _______________,
I would like to thank you and your office for the courageous stance
you took on behalf of House Roll Call Vote 426 concerning Foreign
Operations Appropriations. The amendment sought to redirect $75
million in funds currently used in combating the drug war in Colombia
towards HIV/AIDS programs. Your support for increasing funding towards
patients infected with this dangerous epidemic demonstrates your
compassion for the sick and dying. In addition, your choice to
reduce funds for the Colombian drug war demonstrates your commitment
towards ending a counter-productive and dangerous battle against the
people of Colombia. The current methods used in the Colombian drug
war, particularly aerial fumigation, damage both food and cash crops,
thereby destroying the livelihoods of thousands of peasant farmers.
Furthermore, the war has severe environmental and political
consequences in a country already impoverished and plagued with civil
strife. Future means for curbing drug use in America must focus on
demand and harm reduction at home, thereby reducing violence and
overall harm. Voting on behalf of AIDS victims and the people of
Colombia was truly the right thing to do. Please consider supporting
any legislation in the future that would put an end to the
destructive war in Colombia and providing funding for the sick and
dying.

Again, thank you for working to cut military aid to Colombia. I
encourage you to continue being an outspoken voice for victims of the
drug war.

Sincerely,
YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

Sample Letter for No Voters

Although we urge being concise and to-the-point (4 sentences), you may
find a longer letter such as the one below helpful. Don't forget -
the most effective communication does not involve anger - make your
case in non-judgmental language, stressing that you want them to vote
in favor of ending the Colombian drug war.

Addressing the letter:

House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Rep. ________________,

I would like to express my disappointment in you and your office
regarding a vote you recently cast regarding the Colombian drug war.
On Thursday, July 24, you voted against House Roll Call Vote 426
concerning Foreign Operations Appropriations. The amendment sought to
increase funding for HIV/AIDS programs by $75 million by offsetting
the costs with a reduction in funding for the Colombian drug war. Your
failure to protect the people of Colombia and AIDS patients is very
disappointing.

The drug war in Colombia has, for many reasons, done much more harm
than good. The current methods used in the Colombian drug war,
particularly aerial fumigation, damage both food and cash crops,
thereby destroying the livelihoods of thousands of peasant farmers.
The war has severe environmental and political consequences in a
country already impoverished and plagued with civil strife. Such
methods create a balloon effect, simply moving drug production to
other regions. In addition, committing funds towards the Colombian
military only heightens violence within the region, causing drug lords
to invent new and deadlier means of getting their goods into the hands
of Americans. Future initiatives for curbing drug use in America must
focus on demand and harm reduction at home, reducing violence and
overall harm. It's time for our Representatives to realize that the
war in Colombia is merely an attempt to export domestic problems.
Your vote to block passage of this amendment was the wrong thing to do.

I urge you to reconsider your stance on the Colombian drug war. Please
support any legislation in the future that would put an end to the
destructive war in Colombia and providing more funding those infected
with AIDS. Your vote is essential in creating a more humane and safe
America.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

4) Call or write your Senator

Using the above mentioned methods and formats, contact your Senator
and urge him/her to vote for any amendment to cut military aid to
Colombia when the Senate debates the 2004 Foreign Operations bill.
This will proactively let your Senator know that ending Colombian
drug war spending matters to Americans.

If you do not know who your Senator is, enter your address and zip
code at: http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/ctt.asp?u=409157&l=3167

From the Drug Policy Alliance newsletter
http://www.drugpolicy.org/

I sometimes wonder if the shit we drop on their cocoa leaves affects the people in any way physically...

Why should we spend money on either "epidemic," both drug or AIDS? The money should be focused on those suffering in the US, considering it's the US's funds, and then worry about the "globe." Why don't the other "world powers" give money, we're not the social workers' agency for the world...

^
That pretty much sums up what I was about to write.

maybe because the actions of your country have a large impact upon the globe and not just america.

likewise a large source of americas wealth comes from commercial operations in other countries.

... removed

we are a global race and imo we should bloody act like one. all wealthier countries should commit somewhat to improving the status of countries less well off. a little compassion doesnt go astray. doesnt have to be large amounts either.

it is important though that your country is many many times richer than any other country in the world!

Last edited:
Yeah, we're a world power and great all-mighty nation when people want our money. Then they politely take it while saying "Fuck you, have a nice day!" England, France and Russia are all older and equally (actualy A LOT) more established countries. I swear, the world only wants our help when we'll throw money at the situation. Whenever we try to actually help and make damn sure we get the shit done (Iraq for example, but that's another story) people bitch and say we bully other nations, blah blah blah. What do you want? Do you think we can make every person in Africa and China have a house and free medical insurance? No, I'm sorry that's not how the world is. Not everyone can't live a life that's American's are accustomed to. First, there's not enough resources. Second, us being one country and living how we do will soon catch up with us. Hell, the Romans had running water 2000 years ago and were defeated by barbarians. Conspicuous consumptions great, hell I do plenty of it myself, but that doesn't mean everyone can do the same in every country. I don't live in a hut in a village, people in Tanzania don't llive in 3,000 square foot homes and drive BMWs. Yeah, it's unfair, but so is life. Don't have 2 billion people in your country and maybe you'd be able to have a higher standard of living. Maybe there's a reason why we have an AIDS epidemic in other countries, because, frankly, China needs to lose about a billion people before they cause the whole world to end. Just like the black plague, nature will take its course and cut down the population. It's sad seeing 100 little kids dying in a hospital in the jungle. Do I feel like it's my obligation to help them? No, some people have to die and that's the way it's supposed to be. We've become so modern we're trying to rewrite the course of nature. Colombia was stupid enough to allow Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel to gain as much power as it did, now they have to suffer. Instead, we just send our troops in to die to save the lives of people who are supposed to be affected by the whole narco-terrorist war. We're all humans, that doesn't mean we're all the same. There'll never be one united world, people will always have conflicting views and nobody can change that. It's human nature. Billions of dollars won't change human nature.

JTMarlin said:
Why should we spend money on either "epidemic," both drug or AIDS? The money should be focused on those suffering in the US, considering it's the US's funds, and then worry about the "globe." Why don't the other "world powers" give money, we're not the social workers' agency for the world...

Well, its not as if you do. America pays half the price of a B52 every year around the world in aid. I hope you are very proud.

JTMarlin said:
Yeah, we're a world power and great all-mighty nation when people want our money. Then they politely take it while saying "Fuck you, have a nice day!" England, France and Russia are all older and equally (actualy A LOT) more established countries. I swear, the world only wants our help when we'll throw money at the situation. Whenever we try to actually help and make damn sure we get the shit done (Iraq for example, but that's another story) people bitch and say we bully other nations, blah blah blah. What do you want? Do you think we can make every person in Africa and China have a house and free medical insurance? No, I'm sorry that's not how the world is. Not everyone can't live a life that's American's are accustomed to. First, there's not enough resources. Second, us being one country and living how we do will soon catch up with us. Hell, the Romans had running water 2000 years ago and were defeated by barbarians. Conspicuous consumptions great, hell I do plenty of it myself, but that doesn't mean everyone can do the same in every country. I don't live in a hut in a village, people in Tanzania don't llive in 3,000 square foot homes and drive BMWs. Yeah, it's unfair, but so is life. Don't have 2 billion people in your country and maybe you'd be able to have a higher standard of living. Maybe there's a reason why we have an AIDS epidemic in other countries, because, frankly, China needs to lose about a billion people before they cause the whole world to end. Just like the black plague, nature will take its course and cut down the population. It's sad seeing 100 little kids dying in a hospital in the jungle. Do I feel like it's my obligation to help them? No, some people have to die and that's the way it's supposed to be. We've become so modern we're trying to rewrite the course of nature. Colombia was stupid enough to allow Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel to gain as much power as it did, now they have to suffer. Instead, we just send our troops in to die to save the lives of people who are supposed to be affected by the whole narco-terrorist war. We're all humans, that doesn't mean we're all the same. There'll never be one united world, people will always have conflicting views and nobody can change that. It's human nature. Billions of dollars won't change human nature.

Ever actualy been to a poor country? How would you feel if you were one of the "100 little kids dying in a hospital in the jungle."? Would you find your oppinion acceptable then? Would you say, well yes "I may be dieing of a disease that a small ammount of money could cure me of (lepresy is a classic for this) but that's the way its suposed to be, so Im happy. I find the world a justified place". Sure any country has the right to look after its citizens before looking out for outer countries, but its the majority of people in the world who are unfathomably poor to a person such as yourself (for example I was in kenya recently. Some people have to get by on as little as £30 A MONTH). Its sick that you are selfish enough to keep 90% of the worlds wealth to the 10% richest people.

BTW Im not some left wing nut or something, I actualy stant very central, maybe even slightly to the right, so don't just write off what I say as communist bullshit.

JTMarlin said:
Yeah, it's unfair, but so is life. Don't have 2 billion people in your country and maybe you'd be able to have a higher standard of living...... Just like the black plague, nature will take its course and cut down the population..... some people have to die and that's the way it's supposed to be. We've become so modern we're trying to rewrite the course of nature.

You have just become my new hero. That was exactly what I was thinking.
The most notable quote is "We've become so modern we're trying to rewrite the course of nature" and that really sums it all up.

What's that theory called, that believes that the weak need to die off and eliminate themselves? (I get them all mixed up) It's just the way things go, some people were destined to be born into the rich American system, while others were destined to be born in a dirty shack deep in the woods of Uganda. I don't know why it has to be that way, it's just one of those things that just is.

Wow , so many darwinists on BL, your true lack of compassion amazes me.

The UN has set a recommendation that each of it's member states should spend 1% of their GNP on foreign social aid. Sadly, only a few nations meet that criteria. USA is not even close...

And as to JTMarlins arguments:
It's sad seeing 100 little kids dying in a hospital in the jungle. Do I feel like it's my obligation to help them? No, some people have to die and that's the way it's supposed to be.
I just feel disgust and contempt. Our common goal must be to relieve human suffering and work together to make this world a better place for all its inhabitants. That does not mean everyone will be able to "drive a BMW", it means we fight to bring people food, clean water, education and a better future.

ugh.... no... our goal does NOT have to be to end human suffering. Although I wont go so far as the other people in this board and say that its natural selection, I will say that it is somewhat inherent in human nature. Humans, being the competetive people we are, will always seek to enhance our position... if that means exploitation of the less fortunate, then thats how its gonna be. I dont care whether or not you find my stance repulsive, but if you cant see it as the truth then you are being ridiculously naive. Im not saying i dont feel bad for all those kids living in terrible conditions... but would I be willing to drastically alter my lifestyle to help them? not a chance. Maybe im just selfish that way, oh well. And if I was one of those 100 children that was dying, of course id want help... id be dying for the love of god.... but the fact is... im not one of those kids. The U.S. has its own problems to deal with, and we cant have the majority of our focus outside of our borders all the time. The statistic that some people have to live on as little as 30 pounds a month is very misleading.... the cost of living in africa is something like 1/50 of what it is here (thats not an exact number of course). My friend just recently travelled in africa and said that about $1000 U.S. would let you live like a king for a year.
Ok... enough with that... to clarify, there is a SHITLOAD i would like to change about american foreign policy... im not saying we shouldnt help other countries... im just saying that doesnt come first on the priority list.

What about taking care of 'you and yours' before the government goes off supplying people in Ghana with food, aid, and shelter? We have those same problems right here in our OWN lands, but the government turns a blind eye on them.

I think if they're going to aid these countries with *anything* it needs to be condoms, or some other form of birth control.

nickss said:
ugh.... no... our goal does NOT have to be to end human suffering. The statistic that some people have to live on as little as 30 pounds a month is very misleading.... the cost of living in africa is something like 1/50 of what it is here (thats not an exact number of course). My friend just recently travelled in africa and said that about $1000 U.S. would let you live like a king for a year.
Ok... enough with that... to clarify, there is a SHITLOAD i would like to change about american foreign policy... im not saying we shouldnt help other countries... im just saying that doesnt come first on the priority list.

Ok, well most of these people live in actual mud huts, have to pay for their water from a well, and eat a sort of weird bread, that takes ages to digest, so that if you feel hungry the day after eating it (that's right, some people have 1 meal every two days) you have a glass of water and it expands. So yeah the cost of living is less, but tell me honestly, how does your standard of life compare to that?

You should go to some poor countries. Its not that expensive and might open your eyes a bit. When a child literaly BEGS you to give them about 30p that you have been given in change so they can eat that day it changes you.

The problems America has are pretty small compared to what the rest of the world as. By effecting the lives of the American people a tiny ammount (say a tiny raise in taxes, or spending less money on POINTLESS DRUG WARS) they American govournment could make a HUGE difference to the world. For the better.

mashmetaller said:
The problems America has are pretty small compared to what the rest of the world as. By effecting the lives of the American people a tiny ammount (say a tiny raise in taxes, or spending less money on POINTLESS DRUG WARS) they American govournment could make a HUGE difference to the world. For the better.

the problems seem big enough to those in the us living with them. tell them their problems are small. suffering isn't a damn competition.

ok, i'm not a us citizen, but i have lived here for years. i despise a lot of things this country does, but really, sometimes i think i can understand the attitude they take. for instance, someone above claimed that the us's responsibility for world betterment stems from the fact that much of the us's riches is from industry in foreign countries. if that is true, and influence should follow money, then why complain when the us tries to enforce its will through foreign aid?

the simple fact is, there is no moral requirement to help others. one may (and should, to at least some small degree) take on that obligation voluntarily, but it isn't a issue of force. the citizens of the united states pay the taxes which fund their government. that government is elected to do what is in the best interests of its people, as long as it falls within the powers established by their laws. if the us doesn't want to give money to another nation to help, then honestly that is their right. what should be done? as i said, i don't agree with what they do, but in this case it is absolutely their right to do so.

also, if you check out ce&p, there is a thread on this. in it, it is quoted that 15 billion dollars is being spent out of this budget to pay for worlds aids relief. if the us is spending 15 billion, then why get so irate if they do not want to spend another 75 million?

I just feel disgust and contempt. Our common goal must be to relieve human suffering and work together to make this world a better place for all its inhabitants. That does not mean everyone will be able to "drive a BMW", it means we fight to bring people food, clean water, education and a better future.

I'm wondering what makes you think that humans are so special that each and every one deserves the RIGHT to food, clean water, education, and a better future. What twisted mindset do you people have that gives you the impression that humans should not succumb to death and suffering and famine, yet our ancestors and every other species on this planet had to fight a daily battle for their food and survival. Misery is universal, it is an ESSENTIAL part of existance. If we cannot balance life and death within our species, we will (actually, have) become the equivalent of a plague on the earth...a virus that never stops spreading. If our input ouweighs our output, it's only going to clog the works.

BTW...It is completely, 100% fair that other people in the world have to starve and die of disease and famine. Circumstances in the past created the present, a domino of cause and effect. Cause created the effect of cambodia being poor and starving...it sucks but it is fair. Cause created the effect of nigeria being poor and starving...it sucks but it is fair. Cause created the effect of the US being rich and well fed...it sucks but it is fair.

I think that most people need to chill out and realize where we were socially about 200 years ago and figure out that its going to take some time to change the rest of the world. It will happen over time, slowly, if it happens at all. Eventually the world will find a way to make it possible for everybody to live a good life, but it sure isn't going to happen over night.

mashmetaller said:

There are many people in America who go without adequate nutrition, medical care, education, or even a glimmer of hope in their lives. What makes it worse is that they live next door to people who bask in luxury. Being poor in a place where poverty is normal might actually be a little bit less of a blow to the ego, though I doubt it is any more fun.

Personally, I find it sickening that such conditions are allowed to persist while we waste millions upon billions of dollars on a lost cause like the war on drugs, reconstructing Iraq, building prisons, etc. With that said, I do not believe it is the United States' obligation to help the rest of the world. Most of the rest of the world hates us, perhaps we should let them take care of their own problems. If we get to a point where our domestic problems are beginning to be solved, then I think it would only be right to set our sights on improving the standard of living among the rest of the world.

The conditions that create poverty are many. While globalization, colonization and industrialization are responsible for some of the poverty in the world, I think the lion's share comes from geography and overpopulation. If you live in a desert you should expect water and food to be scarce. If you live on top of a mountain, perhaps the land will not be quite as arable. If you live in a country that of 1 billion people it is going to be overcrowded.