• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Windows 11 Anyone?

What is it with elderly gents and their ancient software that no longer receives updates?

Windows 10 is good minus the telemetry and Windows 11 is even better...

eLmHU7K.png

While using Windows 10, the keyboard stopped working and I had to find instructions on how to reload and reset the drivers; was a tedious process. Windows 10 doesn’t allow you to restore settings from a previous point in time like 7 did.

And now, it says the Windows 11 system requirements are huge.

F Windows.

Microsoft has stopped selling Window 10 so not a problem as far as new computers are concerned, all now come with Win 11. The only real hardware requirements are in the microprocessor which now has to have certain hardware security circuits which prevent malware and aberrant programs from changing firmware and OS security memory locations without permission. All CPU's (both Intel and AMD) made after 2021 have these circuits.

Windows 11 is fast and very stable. I run pre-release versions of Win 11 on some of my computers and some new feature are really great. I can run android apps natively on it and can even use a lot of Linux features. One can use older interfaces with Win 11 with MODs if they want the older designs.

The only real hardware requirements are in the microprocessor which now has to have certain hardware security circuits which prevent malware and aberrant programs from changing firmware and OS security memory locations without permission. All CPU's (both Intel and AMD) made after 2021 have these circuits.

Using Rufus to burn the Win 11 ISO can remove these restrictions, and also re-enable local account creation, which has been removed entirely from the setup screen in build 22621

My experience has been that the home version of Windows 10 is garbage... I get ads all the time and it runs so slow, and it is utterly impossible to get rid of McAfee that came with it, I have serious tried everything, and it keeps coming back. But the professional version that is on my work computer is great, I have never had one single problem with it. We're not supposed to upgrade to Windows 11 even though it asks me if I want to. I haven't tried it yet.

@arrall have you had any issues related to your microsoft account? I keep getting random "there's a problem with your account" and a few widgets randomly freezing or not loading, it seems to be having hiccups on the first time I try to play with stuff, but then seemingly works afterwards (knock on wood)

just curious

Yep, that's Windows 10 home edition. The difference between Windows 10 on my personal PC and my work computer is tremendous.

Yep, that's Windows 10 home edition. The difference between Windows 10 on my personal PC and my work computer is tremendous.
Weird. I have 10 Pro on my gaming PC and 10 Home on my Media PC. Both seem to act exactly the same.

And McAfee, that's likely some bloatware that came from the manufacturer on your home PC. I've had no trouble ridding my two PCs of everything unwanted save for Microsoft Edge, but I also built both from scratch.

Maybe the computer just sucks. It ran well for like 2 weeks, and then got laggy and buggy and slow as fuck. I have literally only ever watched Netflix and Hulu on it, nothing else, so its not like I did some shit and got a virus. I definitely won't buy another computer with McAfee on it, for sure. I also from day have gotten random ads pop up like every 20 minutes.

Maybe the computer just sucks. It ran well for like 2 weeks, and then got laggy and buggy and slow as fuck. I have literally only ever watched Netflix and Hulu on it, nothing else, so its not like I did some shit and got a virus. I definitely won't buy another computer with McAfee on it, for sure. I also from day have gotten random ads pop up like every 20 minutes.
Do you always buy a laptop? I mean if it’s just for home use, and your work laptop is what you take when you leave the house, there’s no reason your home computer can’t be a desktop. You get to have so much more control over literally every facet if you build a desktop vs buying a laptop. And they’re cheaper than ever for the quality you get these days. The major cost is usually the processor and graphics card but if you don’t need either to be super intense then you can really cut some costs.

My system is I have two desktops and when I upgrade a part on one I give the other the old parts and it sort of makes it so I’m really only paying for one unit, at least in my mind lol. But I also game so the gaming pc is always getting upgrades which lets me easily upgrade my media pc which doesn’t demand as much.

Just some food for thought.

^ yeah, i like having a desktop as my main machine. it's just more flexible and easy to fix/expand/etc. it has a lot of my media on it and i can serve stuff to my tv using my xbox and kodi/plex/whatever.

when i am traveling, i take my work macbook or, occasionally, my chromebook.

i updated my main desktop yesterday to win11 and the update went pretty smoothly and didn't take more than about 30 or 40 mins. there are a couple of things that are bugging me but i just need to do a little tweaking.

alasdair

Last edited:
I mostly just use my work computer because it's awesome and my work is cool and a small private company that doesn't do monitoring of employees or anything. it's a laptop, but it's an awesome laptop. I like how portable it is, and it plugs into a desktop setup with 2 large, additional monitors, and of course USB keyboard and mouse. I can't stand typing directly on a laptop, or even worse, touch pads for a "mouse".

Going to install W11 and strip it right down using all the good stuff available at the mydigitallfe forums It pisses me off how a lot of the UI is sort of half w11 and half windows 7 and I'm hoping it will tidy all that messiness up.

Going to install enterprise because it has all the bloat and telemetry disabled. Just heard somebody decribe it as basically windows ultimate. Apparently education is good too, even less telemetry.

Anyone got any experience with custom ISO's?

I make some custom ISOs at work, but we stick to Pro edition. I think Enterprise has more rigid licensing requirements but I haven't tried it personally. There are registry keys to disable telemetry and stuff, so that can easily be done post-installation. If you have an ISO then I'd recommend using Rufus to write it to media because that way you get prompted for checkboxes to control the setup flow (you can remove it entirely and have a local account created instead)

I recently installed Win 11 pro on my wife's computer and created a local account by disconnecting the internet after final reboot. No custom ISO required.

So that method still works FWIW.

I recently installed Win 11 pro on my wife's computer and created a local account by disconnecting the internet after final reboot. No custom ISO required.

So that method still works FWIW.

Still have to go through the setup flow, though. The way Rufus does it, it just installs and boots straight to desktop with your local account, no need to make any privacy decisions along the way

Still have to go through the setup flow, though. The way Rufus does it, it just installs and boots straight to desktop with your local account, no need to make any privacy decisions along the way
Most definitely, just pointing out a solution for those who do not have the desire or means to get a copy of an ISO.

👍

My`
I make some custom ISOs at work, but we stick to Pro edition. I think Enterprise has more rigid licensing requirements but I haven't tried it personally. There are registry keys to disable telemetry and stuff, so that can easily be done post-installation. If you have an ISO then I'd recommend using Rufus to write it to media because that way you get prompted for checkboxes to control the setup flow (you can remove it entirely and have a local account created instead)

Cheers man, I don't get what RUFUS does exactly though? I've used it a million times but still went through setting up IIRC, or it just used OOBE (which there are scripts to disable on my digital life) - fully intend to disable OOBE and anything but a local account.

I have an ISO and an ESD.

Anybody else wanting to create one without using microsofts method can use this tool for W10 or W11:

Quick question - can you reuse the same ISO over and over again, and for other systems? It's just I'm sure I read something by MS a while back that said to use a different one as the security ID would be the same otherwise, or something.