• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Windows 11 Anyone?

I too love Libreoffice.

I need Windows 11 for music production. To be fair, disable windows updates, install with a custom ISO and run Windows O&O shutup and windows isn't all bad. Oh, and destroy edge. And while you still can, somewhat.

Then dual booting with Debian, and things are great.

I'm going to run a Pihole in a container/virtual machine or something, or maybe dual boot. Or my RPi3b+. Especially with Android now trying to ban/limit youtube accounts for using an adblocker (I only use freetube/libretube/newpipe myself, but those I live with... well its a struggle to convince them the change has no drawbacks).

Thuj0ne - cheers the PM, it means a lot. I'll get on it after I make a coffee. Again, appreciated. <3 xx

Why not just run windows in KVM and if you need connections for MIDI hardware just pass through a PCIe device

might not even need that as there's a WINE shim for ASIO

can't really say for myself but FL Studio has a good rating for running through WINE -

Why not just run windows in KVM and if you need connections for MIDI hardware just pass through a PCIe device

I could, but I'd imagine it has its limitations, and my CPU/RAM wouldn't be what they were; and I do tend to push both to the max.

Not only that, but my Focusrite sound card does not have official support, although the new CEO does want to make linux drivers for it as he's a big linux guy, which you don't hear often and is good!

The sound works kind of natively under debian, at a very basic functional level, but it appears to have stopped working these past few days.

might not even need that as there's a WINE shim for ASIO

can't really say for myself but FL Studio has a good rating for running through WINE -

Would that maybe help fix my sound issues?

I could, but I'd imagine it has its limitations, and my CPU/RAM wouldn't be what they were; and I do tend to push both to the max.

Not only that, but my Focusrite sound card does not have official support, although the new CEO does want to make linux drivers for it as he's a big linux guy, which you don't hear often and is good!

The sound works kind of natively under debian, at a very basic functional level, but it appears to have stopped working these past few days.
The limitations are actually pretty limited. I had an Asus sound card and it worked fine on Linux, plus if you want to use it in your windows VM just pass it through. PCIe card that are passed through are treated as though you have a bare metal machine running windows and the PCIe card is plugged in directly

I'll at least try it, cheers.

Any ideas how I can get my USB Focusrite working again, on Debian? I'm unsure what could have changed.

Ooh its USB. USB devices can also be passed through

https://news.itsfoss.com/focusrite-linux/ 🤔

According to this it should be plugnplay with pulse/pavucontrol

It's not. Could I use this script to dump the details? Or something else.

I'll post a screen.

That script looks like it interacts with the hardware itself so if that script works then I'm not sure where the issue might be, maybe pulseaudio?

If it doesn't work that means there's a connection issue

the problem with audio on Linux is you're dealing with a stack and have to figure out which layer of the stack is causing problem. ALSA is the lowest level of the stack so higher layers won't work until you sort out ALSA details.

The higher layer is sound servers like PulseAudio, which might be what ships by default, but some distros have moved on to using PipeWire, and JACK is commonly used for low-latency (i.e. professional) audio applications.

The linked script seems to be for configuring ALSA... which, if done correctly, should also make the device show up in sound server controls (i.e. the sound/audio panel in the Settings GUI of the DE).

There's not much instruction though so you have to figure out how to use it from reading the main function of the .py file and you might need the alsa-utils package for amixer.

I've been running Fedora, it's OK. With GNOME, GNOME kinda sucks hah, hardly any options and like the website to add extensions lol, what a system. They constantly broke too on my laptop (Ubuntu). But I can get it to look so gorgeously clean, so I'm sticking with it.

Have u heard of i3 tho
No, should I try?

Anyway, I do like Fedora, but I've been having some minor issues, though they might be just Linux related in general, e.g. wakeup from suspend is so slow?? Ubuntu on my laptop is extremely stable and I'm happy with it, I just don't like Snap & the whole thing with adding repositories constantly breaks which is really annoying. I just like a really clean & fast desktop, I want to put some effort towards that goal, but once achieved it mostly ends there.

Doesn't work.. Python not found :(
Aren't you on Debian? I could have sworn Debian comes with python installed. Try python3 instead and if that doesn't work do sudo apt install python

No, should I try?

Anyway, I do like Fedora, but I've been having some minor issues, though they might be just Linux related in general, e.g. wakeup from suspend is so slow?? Ubuntu on my laptop is extremely stable and I'm happy with it, I just don't like Snap & the whole thing with adding repositories constantly breaks which is really annoying. I just like a really clean & fast desktop, I want to put some effort towards that goal, but once achieved it mostly ends there.
Yes

Popos is pretty nice too, its Ubuntu based