• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Science Worst science subject at school?

Worst science subject at school

• Total voters

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
As the subject....

I was, funnily enough given I now work in life sciences (though in a computing capacity), horribly bad at biology. I was good enough at physics that I found it boring so wanted to drop it at the first possible moment, thankfully my teacher made it clear to both me and my parents that it was a mistake. honestly don't know what i'd have done without her. so glad i listened given i went on to do it for BSc and PhD.

didn't really like chemistry either, the practicals were boring and we had a super scary teacher.

have any of you come round to your worst subjects later in life?

Maths without a doubt.

Physics and chemistry were my favourite science subjects but the fuckin maths did my head in so I took it no further...

The use of math in a plural sense drives me mad lol.

I didn’t take most of those classes so can’t really say. I never did any homework but had this ability to absorb information through my weed addled teenage brain without really trying. I could space off in class and still somehow retain the shit the teacher was saying and writing. Particularly writing as I have a photographic memory.

Absolutely loved my chemistry teacher. I was going to fail due to not turning in homework but she brought me in and said she knew I understood the material based on my tests and gave me a passing grade instead.

I also vividly remember the excitement at 15yrs old discovering the magic of solubility and how to purify basic alkaloids. The stuff I was reading on Erowid was making more sense combining it with my chemistry class.

I even wrote up a lil recipe I was going to make, it was called like happy juice or something and was essentially THC and LSA extract.. To be a bright eyed kid again.

-GC

The use of math in a plural sense drives me mad lol.
the plural reflects that its actually a number of subects, like geometry, algebra, logic, etc. american use of 'math' drives me mad lol.

I didn’t take most of those classes so can’t really say. I never did any homework but had this ability to absorb information through my weed addled teenage brain without really trying. I could space off in class and still somehow retain the shit the teacher was saying and writing.
i could do that too. i did my homework though cos i was a people pleaser and didn't wanna get in trouble wth my teachers. but i once had a teacher pull me up, 'you did this in 10 minutes in front of the TV didn't you?' to which the answer was yes.

the plural reflects that its actually a number of subects, like geometry, algebra, logic, etc. american use of 'math' drives me mad lol.

i could do that too. i did my homework though cos i was a people pleaser and didn't wanna get in trouble wth my teachers. but i once had a teacher pull me up, 'you did this in 10 minutes in front of the TV didn't you?' to which the answer was yes.

Then why the fuck do ya’ll call sports “sport” if there’s a number of activities involved? Lol.

The one thing that does drive me batty about Americans is Aluminum over Aluminium.

-GC

Then why the fuck do ya’ll call sports “sport” if there’s a number of activities involved? Lol.
we don't, do we?

i call sports "sports" if i'm talking about them in general, but "sport" if i'm referring to a single one.

to be fair, its not on the poll but i was pretty shocking at english language too. i still don't understand what the complement of a sentence is. but i was somehow good at latin and french without even trying. odd.

Science in general interests me. Especially evolutionary biology and astronomy. But just plain math is pretty boring. So that gets my vote.

we don't, do we?

i call sports "sports" if i'm talking about them in general, but "sport" if i'm referring to a single one.

to be fair, its not on the poll but i was pretty shocking at english language too. i still don't understand what the complement of a sentence is. but i was somehow good at latin and french without even trying. odd.

Ah honestly idk where you’re from, I’ve heard UK people say “sport” though no matter if it’s a single or plural use of the word.

Yea language was always my weak spot. I tried 2yrs learning French and 2yrs learning Spanish, of which I learned absolutely nothing. I also failed English a number of times. I ain’t much about words n stuff.

-GC

I sucked at most subjects in school because I just didn‘t care about anything related to studying back then. I hated mathematics and Latin, these were the two subjects I nearly failed every single year but always managed to pull it off in the end. Biology and chemistry were always interesting to me but I still didn‘t put any effort into them, which sucks now because it‘s been seven years since I graduated high school and now I need to relearn a lot of basic stuff for my pharmacy study. It’s not too bad though, thanks to fucking drugs I autodidactically learned a lot of chemistry stuff which helps a lot now.

Ah honestly idk where you’re from, I’ve heard UK people say “sport” though no matter if it’s a single or plural use of the word.

Yea language was always my weak spot. I tried 2yrs learning French and 2yrs learning Spanish, of which I learned absolutely nothing. I also failed English a number of times. I ain’t much about words n stuff.

-GC
I am offended that you don't realise I mean Manchester, UK, when you see my location as "greatest city on earth" like where else would it be?!?

Though I'm now in a shitty town just outside Manchester cos its cheaper.

I am offended that you don't realise I mean Manchester, UK, when you see my location as "greatest city on earth" like where else would it be?!?

Though I'm now in a shitty town just outside Manchester cos its cheaper.

I've spent all day in Manchester and Warrington today.

The best thing about those towns is that because of the motorway connections, they're easy to get the fuck out of... :LOL:

Hated biology in high school. The teacher had a slideshow that lasted the whole damn school year. Monotonous…

Loved chemistry. It was the first time i saw how wonderfully math can be applied in the natural sciences

Then physics was even better. It was basically all math, with ‘intuitively obvious’ models

And then I came full circle and was exposed to mathematical biology (mainly neuro) in college. That was sort of a watershed moment for me. I found it so elegant yet so full of, well, life.

I’m hoping to pursue graduate study in it in a few years once i finish this damn bachelors…