• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Science Worst science subject at school?

Worst science subject at school

• Total voters
Trigonometry fo moi. I stopped caring for that subject at one point, I just didn't understand shit and I saw no point on comprehending it since I wasn't gonna be a nuclear physicist or work for Lockheed Martin XDDDD.
PS on the other hand, biology and chemistry were the shit wink wink 😉😉

Physics. Since when is Maths a Science subject?
it is the basis of all science.

without the firm logical foundations provided by maths, and they're not as firm as we'd like really for fundamental reasons not because we are bad at it, the rest of science wouldn't have a precise formalism in which it can be meaningfully expressed.

if you wanna go deeper, Max Tagmark has argued that the universe IS maths, i forget the details, but according to that doing maths is enquiring directly into the nature of the universe. or something. i didn't buy it.

spoiler OT ramblings:
I've spent all day in Manchester and Warrington today.

The best thing about those towns is that because of the motorway connections, they're easy to get the fuck out of... :LOL:
come on mate why were you in warrington and didn't drop in to say hi?!?!

warrington is shit but its not as shit as i thought it was when i moved here. there are some actual places you'd want to go and some local people putting on very good punk gigs. i'm not going to pretend its not a shit town cos i'm not that batshit but its not like leeds whose only redeeming feature is proximity to manchester.

manchester i've had all the best years of my life in. its the only place i feel home. manchester punk festival brings fans from as far as japan and australia, so i think its fair to say its on the fucking map as a city for the music i love. the gothic/industrial architecture is amazing. it rains all the time which puts off southerners. everywhere you go in the world, people have heard of it. even though i don't like football that's pretty cool. it was the centre of the industrial revolution, computing was born here, and now graphene which may or may not end up being important.

also, i always imagine you being from crewe for some reason, which i only know by its train station, but i'm sure manc is better!!

Sure, but the topic is

Worst science subject at school?​

Maths isn't a Science subject here (Australia). Maths is just maths and Science is Physics, Chemistry and Biology. That's all I meant :)
hell i said geography

Yes well.. Go watch Joanna Lumley's travel docos!! 😁
cant wait,just saw the trailer you sent again a bit ago just to hear her voice, and watched an episode of ABFAB today, one where they have no kitchen........ and patsy`s sister wants to move in

@chinup girl, i swear you're one of the most if not the most intelligent woman I've ever met in my life. Idk how you look like but if you're a super hot chick ud be the real 10/10, you're super bright, you care about other people, a person can never get bored with you cause you know a lil bit bout errrrthing,etc. Idk y but something tells me you must be really beautiful physically, the world isn't a fair place if that's true. You must be a glitch in the matrix WAAAAAAAAAA. LOL srry I'm high as fuck but there's something idk, the way you talk must be thst tells me that you're not only smart but a real hottie too. If you haf a boyfriend he must be one of the luckiest guys in the world. Btw, don't have a wrong idea about this, I ain't no serial killer lol I just like a lot super smart woman plus I'm high sooo take this as a compliment from the bottom of my heart....😉😊🙃😁💛💚💙💯

Math: I enjoyed and was good at algebra, hated geometry, was so good at pre-calculus that I thought it was boring, but when regular calculus came along it went over my head.

Chemistry: I took chem 1 and 2 in high school but didn't start to grasp it until I was almost done taking chem 2. By then it was too late to be enjoyable.

Physics: I was mediocre at physics but it did intimidate me quite a bit.

Biology: I always liked biology but not enough to pursue it in college or anything.

Computer science: This course was a joke at my high school. Like literally just learning to use a word processor and a little bit of MS DOS.

I was always talented with math. Before I dropped out my nickname was "the human calculator". I won all the regional speed math competitions every time.

drug addiction disproportionately effects intelligent people, sadly

Smart is sexy.
I'm a bit of a sapiosexual myself

Maths (and yes, Americans, "Maths" is correct; it's short for "mathematics") is a weird one for me because in primary school (4-11) I super-excelled. When I was 8 I was doing maths classes with the 11 year olds and getting straight A's. Then in high school still found it super easy and then suddenly* when I was like 15ish I just suddenly really struggled :/
I also found things like calculus and algebra just ridiculous wastes of time...like, unless you plan to be a physicist or a theoretical mathematician.
I really think that is you cannot explain why a subject is applicable to most peoples lives, then that subject should not be mandatory.

*to be fair, this was also when my mental health problems became very severe...I don't know if that's causation or just correlation, though.

I really think that is you cannot explain why a subject is applicable to most peoples lives, then that subject should not be mandatory.
i take the point but i do think that a lot of people suffer for never having had to learn to do anything very precisely. maths teaches that skill, though only to a limited extent at high school. i've really seen with all the covid stuff, just how poor people are at making inferences, which at the end of the day is all maths does, sets out axioms and rules of inference then sees what can be figured out.

i honestly feel like communication would be so much easier if people were aware of how fuzzy their concepts were and how imprecisely they were deducing from them, and worked to mitigate that. but maybe thats muh autism.

My Teacher gave me a mercy pass in my first and last Physics class. I never tried any of the other Sciences thereafter; I wish I had tried Chemistry though.

I ended up into the Liberal Arts, then Economics and Finance.

i take the point but i do think that a lot of people suffer for never having had to learn to do anything very precisely. maths teaches that skill, though only to a limited extent at high school. i've really seen with all the covid stuff, just how poor people are at making inferences, which at the end of the day is all maths does, sets out axioms and rules of inference then sees what can be figured out.

i honestly feel like communication would be so much easier if people were aware of how fuzzy their concepts were and how imprecisely they were deducing from them, and worked to mitigate that. but maybe thats muh autism.

I mean more like...I remember we spent THREE WEEKS on the quadratic equation at school and I just remember thinking those three weeks could have been spent so much better like learning basic first aide, or financial advice, or how to file your taxes.

All the rules in math really turned me off as I wasn't into structure back then. Still math is my least favorite science.

Human Biology - cos i couldn't sit through it without wanting to vomit or pass out. (whats that about)

I had no problems with any math or science classes, whatsoever.

After I graduated Uni I joined the USAF and started on a career in E E. My first job was for Williams Pinball, worked designing Arcade Games at the Midway Campus until the mid 80's and was recruited into the Diagnostic Imaging industry in R & D.

I still use higher math like Trig and Calculus every day. Quaternian math drives most of my 3D work that I still do daily even though I should have retire at least 15 years ago.

Math is very hard for me.Physics is quite interesting,but also very difficult.History and geography was my favourite subjects.Languages too.

My worst was general chemistry. It felt like the things I learned had no framework and were just concepts that were needed to do other classes like basic biology.

Once I took organic chemistry, many of these concepts were explained in much greater detail, within a framework of reactions, they clicked for me.

I honestly feel like for some people they should just learn organic chemistry and self study topics that they feel they lack. The framework provided makes it a lot more intuitive (though organic chemistry needs a lot more spatial concepts than general chemistry).