• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Science Worst science subject at school?

Worst science subject at school

• Total voters
My worst was physics, Chemistry was pretty fun (bunsen burners and all) most interesting to me (and still is) is Biology, I wouldn't call maths a science but it was ok, I was apathetic to it, although went on to study maths subjects at university as part of a degree I completed. I would struggle to get a single mark now if I had to sit a maths exam... use it or lose it and it has been some time..

I mean more like...I remember we spent THREE WEEKS on the quadratic equation at school and I just remember thinking those three weeks could have been spent so much better like learning basic first aide, or financial advice, or how to file your taxes.
when I went through high school decades ago, if you had any semblence of aptitude for maths then that meant missing out on learning the concepts of maths that matter in every day life. ridiculous!! By that I mean financial maths - learning about compounding interest, calculating effective annual rates of interest etc...

The use of math in a plural sense drives me mad lol.
Is the correct use though. It's short for mathematicS. In English the subject is referred to in the plural because it comprises sub-divisions (algebra & geometry).

Last edited:
Is the correct use though. It's short for mathematicS. In English the subject is referred to in the plural because it comprises sub-divisions (algebra & geometry).

Yet you all say “sport” when talking of numerous activities… Makes perfect sense.

At least the math one makes sense, we are shortening the word so it’s less likely the plural will stick compared to sport/s not being short for anything.

-GC

My worst was physics, Chemistry was pretty fun (bunsen burners and all) most interesting to me (and still is) is Biology, I wouldn't call maths a science but it was ok, I was apathetic to it, although went on to study maths subjects at university as part of a degree I completed. I would struggle to get a single mark now if I had to sit a maths exam... use it or lose it and it has been some time..
Yeah I don’t consider math a science. It is integral (a math pun) to science but not science.

I didn’t pick math for that reason.

i wish we didn’t go to school so young because I loved college but was a complete disaster in school because I was so obsessed with socializing, partying, and boys that schoolwork was the last thing on my mind. I thought I was dumb because I was failing math when I didn’t even open my textbook.

in my next incarnation I hope I pay attention in high school

biology and I don't even vote because biology is the complex form yet you get a random teacher telling you is not. Chemistry and all you see around, in right conditions and most of time they're // they become "astrobiology" and is even worse in universities.

I didn't get to take any type of science at school because I might have happy slapped my teachers baldy head (not hard or anything tbf but I get it now lol)...then was just constantly chucked out of class untill the next year where I dropped it (hadn't learned anything anyway) I actually am fascinated by science now lol I like physics

Biology. I wasn't bad at it, but my ceiling was lower than with math, chemistry, and physics courses, due to the amount of memorization required.

I only took one comp sci course in university but if I were starting everything over now that's what I would study.

Wow you don't do social sciences at school? Luckies...
hated that shit. hated it to the death.
esp psychology sounded so cool but it's so fucking dry and boring, and the books were shit

all the stuff on your list is awesome, i'm not voting

I will not do math. You can’t make me. Years ago the teachers said “you won’t always be walking around with a calculator in your pocket” and now we have mobile phones so HA!!!

In order from worst to best:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
(Never did Comp. science)

I loathed maths with every fiber of my being because of how it was taught. It's hard to find a teacher who is the right mix of: creative teacher + good at maths. Also a lot of the math I was learning, I wondered what the bloody point was. Just to prove I can think that way, I guess?

Physics was hell. Also boring AF.

Chemistry was more interesting because at least it involved practical spatial functions, but was still difficult and had deranged teachers teaching it.

Biology and biochemistry are my favourite subjects. I rocked them, easily.

IMO the biggest problem with learning science is the teachers. Science teachers are some of the most poorly socialized creatures among humanity. They don't know how to interact with students, make the material interesting, or adapt their teaching style. Thank god youtube had progressed enough that I could watch videos on the subject matter because, aside from one or two teachers, the rest were god awful. They were awful teachers and awful human beings... a different species, if you will.

I will not do math. You can’t make me. Years ago the teachers said “you won’t always be walking around with a calculator in your pocket” and now we have mobile phones so HA!!!

I can see the calculations in my head for about a split second then forget so I refuse also.