Phish (the band not the sports team) in MIAMI || 4 Shows || Dec 28-31

their sound equipment is quite the setup, but I saw them in a smaller outdoor area not a huge stadium.... but they did have a sufficient system for their ENORMOUS music festivals, IT ect, so it should be okay i guess, what about security? you think sneaking to the lower level will be too tough?

Security at the AA Arena is typically consisting of the usual gang of locals, either from Security One or Event Services...most of them usually get bored and could care less after awhile...at least at the events I've been to/covered where they do the securing.

the arena is going to be a mess of lost hippies left to wander the streets of miami after...hey, they could end up at space afterwards ;) haha

it will be a mess of fun :) and more fun and some chemical fun on top of all that

HydrA said:
the arena is going to be a mess of lost hippies left to wander the streets of miami after...hey, they could end up at space afterwards ;) haha

Not on my watch! They can have the arena for all I care, just don't invade my sanctuary! %)

You know it :) .... when you and wyrm coming to visit again?

we will be arriving to miami tonight...we're thinking of going out on Friday or Sat., mostly likely on Friday (hoping Wyrm feels better)....Call Yoyi.

Too bad I will be missing the cold front on Friday...oh well

what are the police in miami like??? I heard they are quite aggressive, do you think they will be all over the place at the show?

I don't think the cops are too aggressive.. they've only shot 2 or 3 people since I've been hanging around Miami.

Last edited:
Umm the police are quite pissed right now. They had 10 of their number injured during the recent FTAA disturbance, so anyone looking like they're from Oregon, or looking like a goddamncommunist is gonna get face the business end of a SIG.

damn, any experiences with them? do they search cars by making up probable cause?

The cops do whatever they want down here. On the upside, sometimes they wax some hoodlum who serves no purpose anyway, on the downside, they tend to run roughshod on anyone out of the ordinary. The Miami PD assigned to the Phish show will probably be the pissed-off type I spoke of earlier. Watch your asses kids, those cops would rather be scoping out the whores on 11th Street, not watching the arena.

The FTAA (trade talks) notwithstanding (the cops were told to be absolute assholes and people were warned not to get anywhere near the city during the trade meetings unless they wanted to be subjected to random searches and questions, my experience has been that Miami cops are some of the coolest around. (Ive spent most of my life in Miami but have lived in New York and Boston).

I have found that Miami P.D dont give a shit about drug crimes or anything else for that matter that isnt 'real' crime IF U RESPECT THEM and dont act like a total punk to them. Even if they find shit, theyll often just confiscate it (or use it). which is why I suspect that Phish booked the shows in the AA arena (where the heat play and which is in the city) as opposed to the Office Depot Center (where the panthers play) and which is in suburban sunrise and has much better accoustics for concerts but much more asshole cops.

(unfortunately, the AA just isnt as good for concerts as it could be because the bldg was built to echo sound so that it sounds louder at heat games than it actually is) Most of the time, if i go to a show, and have a choice, I go to the Office Depot center (even tho I live in Miami), if possible (many concerts/events will book at both). A cpl years ago, I went to U2 (the girl I was dating was a diehard fan) at both bldgs and could not believe the sound difference. Still, I can Not Phucking wait and Im sure the sound will be fine.

The shows should be a blast. havent been to one since big cypress.

One final point on Miami cops, theyve seen it all so be respectfull and youll be fine. Florida Highway patrol (FHP-fucking highway pricks) is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STORY so if your planning on driving phucked up to south beach afterward (which is only 10 minutes on either of the 2 causeways) DO NOT DO ANYTHING STUPID ON THE HIGHWAYS!!!!

THE FHP do nothing but look 4 ppl to fuck with. And the only way to get to South neach is on the causeway, so watch out for these pricks. (yes, I know you could go to 79th street and then over to the beach, but that is waaaaay out of the way, and unless u know the area, I would not reccomend it and even then, its waay out of the way, although I have done that on a cpl of occassions to avoid the highway if I am realllly f-cked up)

Nothin' wrong with 79th St Causeway! (pod's neighborhood...)

As far as Miami cops go most of them are cool, but the downtown ones are just running up the time clock sitting in front of Space while people's cars get broken into...then there's the contingent of shoot-on-sight guys, and then there's county cops who are a whole different ballgame. I'm sure the fish show will go down no sweat, but be smart about things, don't go looking for shit on the streets, etc..

yeah gotcha, last show i got searched, and held when they found a suspicious small bottle on me, they realized that it was just some incense oil and let me go, but damn i would be screwed if they got me to take off my shoes, (20 hits of acid for various pals in the show, as well as a few joints)