*Review* Friday 10/31/03 Helloween '03 - SW Ohio - $20 no presale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why aren't there more Ohio parties at the camp site, seems like a prime spot. This is my last post til monday so I hope to see everyone at Pure Dnb.

Gerr UT said:
I saw all that I needed to see, I can bring alcohol. Getting drunk in the cold makes the weather almost non-existent. I love campouts and being able to party until the early morning while getting drunk. I hope to see everyone out for this party, oh by the way it doesn't look like it is going to be that cold this weekend.

At the Venue:

Friday October 31 Partly Cloudy - High 74° - Low 56° - 0 % chance of precipitation.

if I'm correct this is the same location as soliiceice was in June wow after what with the buses at that party I'm am very surpried they are the same venue at they did at the party in the month of June

yup...at Solstice they were limited to the barn and the lower field due to drainage issues...

we have on-site parking at no extra cost and a huge area for the main stage and camping area...w/ the barn as area 2.

should be dope...

please folks...travel safe, party safe, and for gods sake...have fun!!!!!

amanda and i will be headin down as soon as we get off work tomorrow!!
can't wait for this!

So can someone please tell me where in the hell this party is going to be???? Or will I just have to call long distance for the info line to get directions?

Hey guys, I talked to Josh and it appears I will actually be going on at 1am, switching places with Alaska. So make sure that you get there in time to see everyone that you want. (ALASKA ROCKS MY SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!)I am glad there are so manu wonderful things going on in our little region this Halloween. Everyone please be safe on the raod and we look forward to seeing you there.

Foursquare 8o

i will be playing at this event..alot of shit has gone down to try and limit me from doing this..but i WILL BE PLAYING with 4square at 1

Ahhhhhhh, this party sound so ill. sheeeyat, there was no possible way i could have made it, fuck work!! I will however be at Pure Drum and mutherfuckin Bass, how many yall junglist headin to the Gym Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would have been a hell of a weekend to Catch

Adam F
Snuggles
Ak1200
Paradox
Voight Kampff
Frankie J

Damn, but we'll be throwin our fuckin jungle fists in the air rockin out some hard dnb!!!!!!!!!! 15 hrs til pure DnB!!!!!!!

I uh..... hmmm.......damnit.......i hate when that shit happens...... ahh yeah, steve!

If anyone is going holler at me ill be wearing a grey and white Rocawear shirt with some black ufo's. AHHHHHHHH, this party is going to be off the rictar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to everyone that came out, all the out of town kidz, all the kidz who rocked shit at like 6am in the dark, all the kidz who dressed up, all the kidz who helped out in any way, all the back of house techs, all the front of house staff, to my RaveTrash family...thanx for making Helloween'03 a fucking great party. you can mos def be lookin out for Helloween'04 next year, by yours truly.

to the vendors...sorry about the generator, hope yall did ok.

to ppl expecting a costume contest...sorry the chaos of operating the show came before any contest. thanx for dressing up though and adding to the vibe.

to Tim, Chandra, and Taryn...thanx for giving me rides, refuge, Jager, food, smokes, etc. on Sat. and Sun.

Josh...man, it was great working with you on this. from many standpoints i think things went great and i'm proud of that. def. have no prob working with you again and i extend full props to you for handeling all the last min. shit while we did the venue as well as all your hard work in the production of this show. high five on this one.

Erin...thanx for all your help and support all the way through. i need a ride.
Evan...Jim beam rocks.
Thompson...onca again man. i laugh.
Gabe...dude.
Paul and Matt from Thundersound...great show as always. thanx for workin w/ us on the time. i know you get tired.
Chino and Chino's father...on the list of tremendous supporters. thanx for all the help settin up.
Mighty Mouse...one of the most continuous workers i know. thanx for everything man.
Brian G....you rock dude.
Marcy...omg, thanx for everything...and thanx for bein there w/ me
Kaz...alls i can do is laugh
Jonathan...great havin ya around
Herm and Erika...thanx for the last min. transport support
ADubbz...man you already know. you and Ashleigh rock.
Grimus...man that shit was dope. thanx for everything.
Jackie...thanx for the help, and support and hookin up the SO shit for us
Danny...thanx for the help, and support
Rodney...hahahaha...thanx for helpin out dawg.
Corey...you weird fucker.
J-Lord...pleasure my dear. hope you had fun.
Jeff From Dayton...thanx for all your help, hope you had fun too.
Chad a.k.a. Hippie Mafia....hope everything went ok. thanx for the great food.
Snuggles...a great honor having you here, nice meeting you. thanx for the great music.
Casper...i was sooo hoping for 2-step but the DnB was equally as great. nice meeting you as well.
Frankie J...very nice. glad you could make it and nice to meet ya.
Skat...nice mmeting you. seemed like the kidz loved your shit, we'll do this again
Punch...great seein ya again, and a great set. glad to have you on the team
MC Kweston ,MC Ronin ,MC Stealth...these guys tore shit up all night.
Adam Jay...always a pleasure. glad to have you.
Beet and the Bad Lieutenant...sorry about the minor glitches, thanx though
Alaska...very cool man. glad you got over the hangover, i'll be in touch.
JeaLeigh...so nice to meet you, we'll be in touch soon
React...also dope set, as always.
Foursquare...great set. thanx for all the help and support.
Adam Bruce...dope shit. i'll hit you up this week.
John Berman...words can't describe. thanx for everything.
Problem Addikt...nice meeting you sir, thanx for makin it out
Sezorgy...see man, i told you!!!
Straight Vizual...fun as always
T-Rexx...tremendous set, i hope someone got that shit on tape
Sam C....dope shit.
Jigga...i see ya sneakin in the double set action
Dala...sorry, can't move the truck
Tom Sawyer...hhahahaha...you were playing slayer!!!!
Kaiten...sorry 'bout the late start, you guys are great
Sparkles...great job, you guys are awsome
Tammy...hope things worked out for ya
Meaghan...so glad you were able to just relax for once. glad you had fun.
Ravegeek....dope set, thanx for fillin in on short notice
Mary...you rock, thanx for all the help
Zen...hahahhahaa
Mowgli, Mixelplix and Becky even though they didn't show up.
Drew...always cool, thanx for help and support...glad we could work together again on some shit indirectly
Ryan Mack...thanx for your help dawg, hit me up.
Oompa Loompa...thanx for the help man, see ya thursday
Digital Kate...woot.
Soniq Stylz...man, thanx for the ride, floor, etc. glad you had fun.
Nelson...you shit-ass, next time you should come.
DC Crew...this was great w/ ppl in from all over
Pittsburgh Crew...werd up, gotta do this more often.
Chicago Crew...t'was a pleasue, we'll be seein ya soon.
Jamie @ Untranslatable...sorry about the generator. i thought we had gas.
Tiffikat...yay for the princess!!!
Ash...omg. that is all.
Stes...omg. that is all.
Taryn...you and crew always make the party fun
KT...fun eh?
Little Matt...dude, you are always wasted, funny shit.
Stylie...been a min., sorry i was soo busy
Greg...glad you guys made it
Lee...always cool havin ya around
Everyone that helped with anything...'nuff said.
Everyone that danced, especially the kidz at the main stage at 6am...dancing in the dark like WHUT!!! so fuckin' cool...that was great.
Everyone that wasn't afraid of the weather...rain ain't shit.
The Preble County Sheriff Department...thanx for lettin us do our thing
Camp America...thanx for the help...WE'LL BE BACK!!!
All American Tool Rental...always great service
Everyone that stepped up and took on more than you expected (you know who you are.)

i'm sure i left some ppl out...as i continue to reflect apon this past weekends happenings i will add to this.

Disappointed

What the fuck has happened to the Ohio scene? I was so excited about this weekend because other OH parties have given me a renewed faith in the genuine excitement, energy, and SUPPORT OH parties have gotten. Helloween and Pure DnB let me down. Before anyone starts in on me... I understand that throwing a party is an extremely difficult process and I appreciate all the promoters' hard work.

When I first arrived at Helloween, after slamming some mixes on the tables and proclaiming, "I'm not one to mix," a DJ was playing tracks he had written out of a boombox. I approached the promoters at the front gate and relayed this to them and asked them if a DJ had missed his spot and if they needed someone to play (I had my records with me to play at the after party). After identifying the DJ who wasn't mixing they said, "That's just (name). That sounds like something he'd say. You just have to learn to deal with him" Huh? I paid twenty dollars to be told, "I'm not one to mix?" They told me that they didn't need any more DJs and to just wait for the next DJ to come on.

More of my animosity towards this past weekend was a result of the lack of interest most of the attendants of these two parties showed. I've never seen so few people dancing at the Gym Club. Most were standing around looking bored or fucked up.

Also, my weekend was *EXTREMELY* soured by having to listen to SHITTY MCS who RUINED several of the best DnB performances of the weekend. I only like an MC if they've actually got something to say and I didn't hear anything but annoying clichèd MC banter (lighters in the air, show your hands, make some noise, etc), and it wasn't just here and there, but CONSTANTLY throughout the set and the mics were often louder than the music. *ugh* How could any of the performers *not* say something about it. I did notice Bad Lt. try to signal to the MC to shut up during a vocal part of a track they were playing, but HE WOULDN'T STOP.

As a DnB DJ, I really appreciated an all-dnb party, but everyone was also playing the same style of dnb (dark). I didn't hear any atmospheric, jazzy, or jump-up (the good stuff, not that cookie-cutter aphrodite crap). Paradox was the most unique set of the night with those crazy, raw, jungle beats -- my friend got a great pic of him and Paradox after his set. Though I would have like to have seen more variation, many of the DJs *did* put on good performances.

I'm less-inclined to attend any parties with MCs (or at least certain MCs) listed on the flier, so I may not go to Deuce's Wild, but I hope that at the next OH party I attend you all prove me wrong and dance your goddamn asses off and be more sociable and friendly. Come up and say hi! Introduce yourself! I'll be in a black and white checkered top-hat!

I'll stop bitching and moaning now. I still had an entertaining weekend, I just think it could have been so much better.

Peas and Beets,
Sea Monkey

What pure drum and base party did you go to?.... i know this isnt the thread but i cant hold this back... I have been to 3 events in the mw every week for the last 13 weeks and that was an incredible experience... and you might want to listen and hear aphrodite again if you can take it cause his shit doesnt sound a damn thing like a single set that was played at PURE so please dont insult all that INSANE amount of skill and talent by comparing voigt kampf, core james, adam f, ODI, Jsmooth, loki, shapeshifter and sinister and etc to fucking aphrodite. i havent heard your shit before but i sincerely doubt you could hold a fucking burnt out match to most of the cats at pure or at helloween... I fucking love atmospheric and jazzy shit, best set ive seen so far this year was LTJ infact, but you know that isnt what the majority of the djs at pure spin... I am bewildered by your post...

okay, its 4 in tha mornin, and i have not posted on bluelight since i re-signed up this past week, but i have to back up ryan right now and speak my peace to this individual who has so rudely posted about tha ohio scene, first off, i dont know who you are, or who you think you are, but let me tell you who you are not...you were not asked to spin at pure dnb, even when you offered to do it free of charge in tha middle of tha party you were denied, so how dare you insult tha dj's and emcees at pure, i take personal offense to this seeing how many of them are friends and all of them are people that i respect and appreciate due to their talent as performers and their support and commitment to being a part of our scene, even if it was for just that nite that they could be with us. i am especially annoyed by your comment about damian or dez being shushed during voight-kampff's set, i dunno what you think you saw, but that set was incredible and the four of them have massive respect for one another and would not ever disrespect one another (unlike yourself)...as for your insult to tha crowd, IF YOU DONT LIKE US DONT COME...maybe you like seeing a bunch of kids pressed against tha speakers trying to increase the intensity of their rolls, but you wont find that shyt at a party like pure(except for tha small crowd of high school kids puddled in tha back), practiacally all tha people there were supportive and were enjoying tha music because they love it, period. do yourself a favor and dont come on here, or anyother board, and insult my friends, ohio (or any other) junglist, djs, emcees, or promoters that came out to put together a nite of entirely dnb because my guess is that by mid afternoon when your post is read by many others, you gonna have pissed alot more ppl off than just ryan and myself...either way, i hope that you opt not to attend future ohio parties and im sure that wont be a problem considering how much sh*t you have to say about them, as for tha junglist, artists, and promoters that were in attendance at pure dnb, thanks for a truely one of a kind party, much respect and dnb, pz
molly

We'll said Molly, Sea Monkey will NEVER get a chance to play one of my parties, or any of my other friends parties who are promoters. I do remember your dumb ass now, bugging me when I was trying to keep my shit in order. Please just don't come back to my parties. I don't have any time to waste.

Peace OUT,

DREW

It's his opinion..he threw down the cash.. he's a customer.. he HELPED YOU PAY YOUR DJs.. so he's entitled to it. you can't bash him for having an opinion and tell him to "stay away from your parties" wtf kind of message does that send? i do not know sea monkey.. but i guarantee you he has friends.. say he gets in 5 of his friend's ears.. then they say "what? screw that kid's shows" that's $100 you're out right there.. money pays the bills. *sigh*

i know it's hard to be polite when someone comes at you with a strong opinion, but you can't fuck around with money, man.

ps - for the record.. the majority of mc's out there.. (although i do dig on dez's stuff) are annoying and frequently ruin sets for me.. so i can see where he is coming from.

d

Last edited:
Re: Disappointed

Sea Monkey said:
What the fuck has happened to the Ohio scene? I was so excited about this weekend because other OH parties have given me a renewed faith in the genuine excitement, energy, and SUPPORT OH parties have gotten. Helloween and Pure DnB let me down. Before anyone starts in on me... I understand that throwing a party is an extremely difficult process and I appreciate all the promoters' hard work.

When I first arrived at Helloween, after slamming some mixes on the tables and proclaiming, "I'm not one to mix," a DJ was playing tracks he had written out of a boombox. I approached the promoters at the front gate and relayed this to them and asked them if a DJ had missed his spot and if they needed someone to play (I had my records with me to play at the after party). After identifying the DJ who wasn't mixing they said, "That's just (name). That sounds like something he'd say. You just have to learn to deal with him" Huh? I paid twenty dollars to be told, "I'm not one to mix?" They told me that they didn't need any more DJs and to just wait for the next DJ to come on.

More of my animosity towards this past weekend was a result of the lack of interest most of the attendants of these two parties showed. I've never seen so few people dancing at the Gym Club. Most were standing around looking bored or fucked up.

Also, my weekend was *EXTREMELY* soured by having to listen to SHITTY MCS who RUINED several of the best DnB performances of the weekend. I only like an MC if they've actually got something to say and I didn't hear anything but annoying clichèd MC banter (lighters in the air, show your hands, make some noise, etc), and it wasn't just here and there, but CONSTANTLY throughout the set and the mics were often louder than the music. *ugh* How could any of the performers *not* say something about it. I did notice Bad Lt. try to signal to the MC to shut up during a vocal part of a track they were playing, but HE WOULDN'T STOP.

As a DnB DJ, I really appreciated an all-dnb party, but everyone was also playing the same style of dnb (dark). I didn't hear any atmospheric, jazzy, or jump-up (the good stuff, not that cookie-cutter aphrodite crap). Paradox was the most unique set of the night with those crazy, raw, jungle beats -- my friend got a great pic of him and Paradox after his set. Though I would have like to have seen more variation, many of the DJs *did* put on good performances.

Peas and Beets,
Sea Monkey

ok, let me first say that i cannot make any comments regarding the production, operation, talent, etc. that was at Pure...this is the review for Helloween. 2 seperate events...2 promoters...2 seperate crews.

i remeber talking to you guys at the front gate about the Reverand Def Lepper. i understand that you paid $20...and you aparently arrived just in time to see one of the opening DJs that had been added on to the lineup...the officially booked talent took to the stage at 9pm. So thanx for gettin there early. Fortunatly for you you were there for every single one of the advertised artists untill whenever you decided to go home...props on that. lots of ppl today are not as pressed to see the artists do their thing but more to display the latest fashions, or sell whatever...i'm glad to have had you there just knowing that some ppl still care about the music.

as far as MCs are concerned i agree w/ you 100%. too much MCing is shitty and we sure as hell got it. i can assure you that there will be no more "surprise guest MCs" or any thing of that nature at any event that i am directly involved with the promotion and production of. an MC is ok for SOME circumstances...not hours on end. i can't make up for this past weekend but i can certainly fix it in the fututre.

thank you Sea Monkey for your comments and your support. it seemed that minus a few things you had a good time at Helloween, so i take your comments and opinions to heart, as those that truly enjoy the music are the ones i'm really trying to appeal to with my productions. i take no offense at the things you say, i am taking notes so that the next time you come to an event by Basis Productions you have that much more fun.

thanx for supporting

IF YOU DONT LIKE US DONT COME...maybe you like seeing a bunch of kids pressed against tha speakers trying to increase the intensity of their rolls, but you wont find that shyt at a party like pure(except for tha small crowd of high school kids puddled in tha back)

In response to the above quote, If I am not not mistaken he said he was dissapointed because no one was dancing and eveyone was standing around or messed up on something. Therefore your comment makes no sense. This forum is to place opinions, not everyone is going to appreciate what you want them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.